(Topic ID: 240109)

TZ restoration to Mylar or not to Mylar?

By Squeakman

6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Squeakman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

9092A754-A64D-4133-801A-9EC91AF0CAA2 (resized).jpeg

#1 6 months ago

I am looking for honest opinions on mylaring my TZ when I do a full tear down and refurb for protection. I hear people say in home use that it’s not needed but I have a funhouse that was immaculate that has worn heavily and now will eventually need a new playfield because of insert damage. I ask because my playfield is immaculate but I can see a few slightly lifted inserts and the start of some very very slight insert wear on the lower inserts by the flipper. This playfield is too nice to replace. Is there a detailed thread for proper Mylar installation and how have people liked results if you have done it. Marco has a pre cut sheet ready to install. I’d rather not hear people say it’s dumb to put down Mylar but instead offer real solutions if they don’t agree. I would put one of those Lexan protectors on it but I hear nothing but complaints about balls getting stuck and the like. How hard is it to level inserts if that needs done?

#2 6 months ago

I always put down mylar. I usually cut my own shapes and install around highbwear areas. It's a good way to help preserve the game. Just make sure to wax before putting the mylar down so it's easier to remove at some point down the line.

I haven't tried of those large playfield protectors yet, so I can't comment on them one way or the other.

#3 6 months ago

Forceflow, it’s nice to hear others are using Mylar. This is what I am wanting to hear. Most assume low use won’t cause wear but it can and will. It’s hard to justify spending 1k for a new playfield when the one in the game is near flawless.

#4 6 months ago

Yeah, some people think the clear coat is undamageable. It's not.

#5 6 months ago

I put some Mylar over an area where I had some key line insert damage thinking that would be enough. But the insert kept raising and eventually air bubbles started to form around the inserts and looked terrible. So if you are able to, flatten the inserts and glue them back in place from underneath before Mylar. I had to learn the hard way.

Forceflow mentioned a playfield protector. I put one on my T2 and it will smooth out any playfield damage you may notice with the ball. But it will change the way the ball plays and some don’t like that. I think the ball gets more traction on the protector and reduces the speed of the game. The protector does its job well and looks great, but my T2 doesn’t play as well as it used to so ultimately a clear coat will be in its future.

#6 6 months ago

I did the playfield protector thing once... ignored all the collective wisdom of their effect on game play and the aesthetic of the game.

I’ll never do it again. They do affect game play ... there is added friction with the surface of the ball... hence you get some very interesting ball movements.

They scratch and wear much faster than clear coat and are a lot of work to keep clean.

Any debris between the protector and the playfield ... can be impossible to get out and shows like crazy.

If there is any area where the protector fits too snug (tolerances/etc) you end up with buckling.

A nicely cleared and waxed playfield with Mylar in strategic places is the best... period.

Don’t be fooled by the lure of the protector. They are expensive, a great deal of work to install and you will be disappointed in the end.

#7 6 months ago

I went through this same issue. I restored a Funhouse and installed a brand new playfield. I opted for a playfield protector as I didn’t want to Mylar the playfield. The playfield protector looked amazing but it did change how it played and I had a few tiny things under it. I could handle those two things but what ultimately made me decide to remove it was the cutout for the left shooter lane switch was causing the trajectory of the ball to change and it would hit the side of the steps ramp. I adjusted the shooter rod but to now avail. I dreaded the thought of removing all the ramps again to remove they playfield protector so I actually used scissors and cut out the playfield protector and threw it any. I’m not trying to bag in the PP but for my particular game, it was creating issues. I was constantly worrying about playfield damage over the next few days and ending up putting Mylar in the high traffic area and was really glad I did. It was real easy to put. Just take your time and watch a few videos. Start with the small Mylar parts (drop) and get a feel for it. You can barely see where I added Mylar to the playfield in Funhouse and I was really glad I did. I wax my machine every 200 plays but even this won’t save you from wear due to scoop ejects and ball drop. For me, Mylar is the way to go. If you have a playfield with raised inserts or paint touchups, the playfield protector is a better choice. For me, i think Mylar is the way to go on new / newer playfields. Older playfield with some damage / insert issues - playfield protectors. Just my opinion as I debated this way too much a few months ago.

#8 6 months ago

I also have a TZ and can’t imagine how much wear it would get in the pops or in front of the slot machine scoop. TZ has a lot of drops / high traffic areas that I wouldn’t be comfortable leaving unprotected. At a minimum, I would Mylar them.

#9 6 months ago

Definitely mylar. Wax first, then apply mylar to high traffic areas, like ball drops and between the pops. It's cheap insurance.

#10 6 months ago

I have a TZ too. Without mylar, but with a clear coated playfield. (done by a previous owner)
I think it is the best for a home use. I really don't like mylar (not beautiful, become yellow, may destroy the paint when removed). And I never tried playfield protector, so no opinion.

There is 2 very useful threads here.
The "playfield restauration" thread from Vid. And the "spray max 2K" thread, to clear coat your playfield yourself.

#11 6 months ago

i route a TZ for almost 10 years now. bought it pretty much HUO (or as close as it gets), and put custom mylar over the entire playfield, day one. waxed first, then carefully installed with no bubbles or lifting edges. to this day, you still would never know it’s there, either in appearance or gameplay. 50,000+ plays later, not a scratch or chipped/worn insert. without it, my play field would probably be a mess. i’d recommend it.

9092A754-A64D-4133-801A-9EC91AF0CAA2 (resized).jpeg
#12 6 months ago

i route a TZ for almost 10 years now. bought it pretty much HUO (or as close as it gets), and put custom mylar over the entire playfield, day one. waxed first, then carefully installed with no bubbles or lifting edges. to this day, you still would never know it’s there, either in appearance or gameplay. 50,000+ plays later, not a scratch or chipped/worn insert. without it, my play field would probably be a mess. i’d recommend it.</blockquote

Bigehrl that is amazing. I am curious if you had any raised inserts before you installed the Mylar? That’s my issue is a have a handful of very very slightly raised inserts and the one lightning bolt insert by the piano is raised more. My playfield is immaculate now and I want to keep it that way. I’ll have to check out that playfield thread from Vid to see how feasible it would be to level them before the Mylar addition. I just can’t see replacing this playfield with a new one being how nice it is.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside