Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 6.14.14 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 6.14.47 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 6.14.34 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 8.02.29 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 8.02.40 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 8.02.18 AM (resized).png
Misc 0707 017 (resized).jpg
Misc 0707 019 (resized).jpg

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from robm:

This is something i've been trying to sort out, and had no luck. Super keen to hear any source of ramp flaps, i would grab at least 4 sets, and could easuly get others to join in if we found a source. Pinbits used to tsell them, but i have sent countless emails and they don't ever answer

I am sure there are a lot of old ramps out there that have good flaps you may be able to redo. Perhaps reblue them and reuse them.

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:I am sure there are a lot of old ramps out there that have good flaps you may be able to redo. Perhaps reblue them and reuse them.

Check out what im starting with, these ones need a little more than reblueing!

IMG_20200226_112330_resized_20200226_114100730 (resized).jpgIMG_20200226_112330_resized_20200226_114100730 (resized).jpgIMG_20200226_112339_resized_20200226_114059742 (resized).jpgIMG_20200226_112339_resized_20200226_114059742 (resized).jpg
#53 3 years ago

Rusty or not I am jealous of your gumball wire ramp in the second picture. I have been searching the world over for one but cannot locate it for anything. I am planning a from scratch build and that is one piece holding me back. I may have to learn how to weld and make one haha!

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from robm:

Check out what im starting with, these ones need a little more than reblueing![quoted image][quoted image]

Order a new ramp and you will have a new flap. That is some rough stuff you have there, good luck.

#55 3 years ago

The more I look at those pictures the more I see a need for a garbage can. I have a smoked ramp with pretty good flap if you want it for free.

#56 3 years ago

Here is some updated pix...moving along fairly nicely. Did end up molex'n the coils. Just to make things easier down the road.

Doing a lot of the mods on the way. Biggest one is the 3rd magnet. Tomorrow I plan on doing the Opto board work for that part of the project. We did take a lot on at the same time we were doing the PF swap. Been a great project for my son and I. having a 3rd year Purdue ME as my partner has made this a blast to do. He has been awesome to work with. He knows someday this TZ will be his, so he is dialed in
IMG_4526 (resized).jpegIMG_4526 (resized).jpegIMG_4543 (resized).jpegIMG_4543 (resized).jpegIMG_4544 (resized).jpegIMG_4544 (resized).jpegIMG_4545 (resized).jpegIMG_4545 (resized).jpeg

IMG_4487 (resized).jpegIMG_4487 (resized).jpeg
#57 3 years ago

A long time ago I purchased a 3rd magnet kit. Came with Optos.

The problem I have now is I am not positive which wire is the Kathode/Anode and Emitter/Collector.

Based on these pix, they are marked, but not used. Thoughts? Should I assume Green = Kathode and Gray = Collector?

Don't want to assume on this one

Dave

Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 12.28.08 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-07 at 12.28.08 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-07 at 12.28.21 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-07 at 12.28.21 PM (resized).png
#58 3 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

The more I look at those pictures the more I see a need for a garbage can. I have a smoked ramp with pretty good flap if you want it for free.

Thank you for the kind offer. I am in Australia so shipping will be a killer...

I'm up for the challenge, will do a resto thread when i get into it. I'm thinking of powder coating all the wireforms in black

1 week later
#59 3 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

If you are ordering a new ramp it should have the ramps already on them.

The thing is my ramps are in pretty good shape. It is just the flaps have some minor rust on them. So in my mind that is the only thing I should be replacing. God knows I have spent a ton of money on everything else

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

It is just the flaps have some minor rust on them.

Can you blue them instead of replacing?

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Can you blue them instead of replacing?

Not sure to be honest. Never thought about that. Is that a process? "Blueing"? Wonder if I can get someone to do that. The flaps are really good, just some minor rust spots that could be sanded off for sure.

#62 3 years ago

Not sure to be honest. Never thought about that. Is that a process? "Blueing"? Wonder if I can get someone to do that. The flaps are really good, just some minor rust spots that could be sanded off for sure.

sand them with some fine paper or steel wool and re-blue them. Get the kit from Cabelas, same as used for bluing guns.

#63 3 years ago

Some updated piz. Made some good progress this week. Got almost everything off of the top of the old game. Molex'd every coil (actually my son did that). Putting a ton of mods on at the same time. For now regretting the 3rd magnet. Been nothing but a headache....mostly my fault though

Details of what I am doing is on this spreadsheet for anyone goofy enough to take this project on. Some good stuff, some not good stuff, but trying to document my mistakes as well.

What a journey!! These boards have been great for ideas/feedback/counseling....

Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.20.13 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.20.13 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.20.26 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.20.26 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.20.34 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.20.34 AM (resized).png
#64 3 years ago

In the picture with the door panel electronics, I see the two (left out in production) flashers added under Gum and Ball. There are some kits available in the shops but they are pretty expensive. This looks like something I could do myself just ordering some small parts. Do you know if there are any diy instructions available for this ?

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from RonH:

In the picture with the door panel electronics, I see the two (left out in production) flashers added under Gum and Ball. There are some kits available in the shops but they are pretty expensive. This looks like something I could do myself just ordering some small parts. Do you know if there are any diy instructions available for this ?

Not positive. I know MANY moons ago I purchased a door flasher kit. I wouldn't imagine it being too hard though.

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from RonH:

Added mine by using a couple spare 906 sockets. Hooks up to this connector. Red, Green/White, Black/Yellow.

Easy peasy, almost free with great effect.

Misc 0707 017 (resized).jpgMisc 0707 017 (resized).jpgMisc 0707 019 (resized).jpgMisc 0707 019 (resized).jpg
#67 3 years ago

Thanks for the explanation and pictures, exactly what I was looking for!

#68 3 years ago

Another round of pix. How obvious is it that I am avoiding the pop bumpers? I still find it amazing there isn't a better way to do these things?!

But we will work them next as we are coming to the time to do the actual swap. Slowly but surely!

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 8.02.40 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-22 at 8.02.40 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-22 at 8.02.29 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-22 at 8.02.29 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-22 at 8.02.18 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-22 at 8.02.18 AM (resized).png
#69 3 years ago

Updated pix. Got the old playfield out. The see of wires is now in it! Man that looks like a mess! Now it is time to work on the cabinet a bit. I do plan on installing mirrors. I am worried about clearance. My plan is to sand down the inside of the cabinet as well as the sides of the playfield a bit. Even if I gain .1 mm on each piece, I am hoping it gives me some more clearance.

Then I have to work on the lighted speaker panel. I have pinball pro speakers and the kit does not support that. I designed a new bracket in CAD and will be trying to print that today on the 3D printer. If it goes well, I can share the STL file if anyone else goes down that road.

Plan at this point is to get the new playfield into the machine as soon as possible to turn it on. I want to test the optos out on the 3rd magnet before I start putting anything else together. Also test the other optos. What is clear is that the holes in that playfield were not spot on. The optos don't have tolerance.

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 6.14.14 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-27 at 6.14.14 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-27 at 6.14.34 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-27 at 6.14.34 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-27 at 6.14.47 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-27 at 6.14.47 PM (resized).png
1 week later
#70 3 years ago

Well now to start the nasty. Have to take that glob at the bottom and find a home for it on the playfield. To be honest, I am further along than I thought I would be. I am now very happy I took the time to molex the coils. Makes this part of the job (and any future maintenance) very simple and manageable.

I also ordered the side protectors from Pinball Life. I will be using them on all of my machines as I work on them. Brilliant idea. They work great. Mirrors installed and protected while I populate the rest of the playfield.

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 7.04.39 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-07-05 at 7.04.39 AM (resized).png
6 months later
#71 3 years ago

Well time to restart this project. This all took a back seat. Two things happened at the same time. First Covid made a lot of work for me (I run IT for Joliet) and the second thing is my sons started a Jazz mouthpiece business. The latter has really taken away all of my free time. BUT I have to finish this thing. Might be looking for some help because I was stumped on a couple items.

No one can come to the house because wife won't let anyone in. Might be willing to pay for a Facetime session if there is anyone out there interested. The biggest issue is row/column issues as well as a couple other weird GI issues.

I probably am about 60% done. Of course the last 40% is three times harder than the first 60% right?

Belated Happy New Year to you all!

Dave

IMG_6516 (resized).jpegIMG_6516 (resized).jpegIMG_6517 (resized).jpegIMG_6517 (resized).jpeg
#72 3 years ago

Well time to restart this project. This all took a back seat. Two things happened at the same time. First Covid made a lot of work for me (I run IT for Joliet) and the second thing is my sons started a Jazz mouthpiece business. The latter has really taken away all of my free time. BUT I have to finish this thing. Might be looking for some help because I was stumped on a couple items.
No one can come to the house because wife won't let anyone in. Might be willing to pay for a Facetime session if there is anyone out there interested. The biggest issue is row/column issues as well as a couple other weird GI issues.
I probably am about 60% done. Of course the last 40% is three times harder than the first 60% right?
Belated Happy New Year to you all!
Dave
[quoted image][quoted image]

Welcome back. Switch issues...section 6.26
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC

#73 3 years ago

Whoops, saw matrix and thought "switch" but you are interested in "lamp" matrix. Explanation and testing process begins after section 6.25.4.2 Controlled Lamp Operational Description

10 months later
#74 2 years ago

Well almost to the finish line. Outstanding issues:

1) Some kind of lamp matrix issue. Have multiple lights lighting up when going thru the single lamp test matrix.
2) Second hand is not registering in my clock
3) Rocket is always firing
4) Have some random connection that I cannot find a match for (See attached pic).
5) Robot red light not lighting up for some reason...but the lamp is lighting up just fine
6) 3rd magnet installed. Opto working. Just have to figure out what I did wrong. Not working yet.

Lessons learned:

1) Side mirrors are worth the investment. I got the dark black mirrors and they really make a difference. So was the speaker lighting kit. Really cool.
2) These playfield swaps are harder than you think and you have to have balls to drill a hole (3rd magnet) into a brand new playfield.
3) Never ever pick one of the most complicated games to do a playfield swap with
4) I am getting too old to do these kinds of projects
5) When you think you have taken enough pictures, take another 1000. Then the next day take another 1000.
6) Never let six months or more lapse between working on such a project. Especially when you are over 50 years of age.
7) Strongly consider to hire someone that knows what the F they are doing and let them do their magic

All joking aside, it turned out pretty good. Of course the last of the issues always seem to take the longest to knock out!

This forum has been priceless and a special thanks to Rick Schieve for helping me out with a couple items that were just over my head.

Dave

IMG_8145 (resized).jpegIMG_8145 (resized).jpegIMG_8146 (resized).jpegIMG_8146 (resized).jpegIMG_8147 (resized).jpegIMG_8147 (resized).jpegIMG_8148 (resized).jpegIMG_8148 (resized).jpegScreen Shot 2021-11-19 at 10.44.05 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-11-19 at 10.44.05 AM (resized).png
7 months later
#75 1 year ago

Where to find a Backbox Lamp Door....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-restoration-startcould-use-some-ideas-advice-on-this-one/page/2?hl=ronh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.