Well here is an update. I continue to update this spreadsheet with everything associated with this project. I am trying to document what I can to help make it easier for the next crazy nut that decides to do a PF swap on a TZ. There is an absolute insane amount of stuff on the top and bottom of this game!
Procurement: I would say I am 90% done getting what I need for this job. Of course some of the mods still are growing, and this of course is leading to a wallet that is thinning out. I had to take a break on shipments as the wife is starting to catch on to my scheme here.
1) Made Vid's rotisserie. I made a couple modifications to it that seemed to make the whole thing easier (but a little more expensive). I went with all allen screw joints. In hindsight, I probably would have done the threaded joints for the bottom centers though to add a little stability. But overall it went fairly well. I also kept with 3/4" piping throughout. The plus side of this is I put the whole thing together in about 20 minutes.
2) Started moving the light boards over one at a time. While doing so, I have started to put the Comet LED bulbs in place. I know one probably pays a bit more for these kits, but frankly I like the fact that someone bagged up and documented every damn bulb in the machine. To me there is some good value in that.
3) I have ordered about 30 different size molex connectors. This thread talks about that. At the end of the day, I want to install each coil separately and the molex connectors will make that possible. Plus this way, I can keep the wires in the machine and not have to pull them from the boards. I may even molex some of the snakes of the GI's (TBD). I get that this may add failure points, but frankly I haven't had a lot of issues with molex connectors over the 20 years in the hobby. I have though have had issues working on various components of my machines and have wished there were molex connectors to make it easier to service. So I went with door #2. I should also mention that cottonm4 suggested I order from Ed at Great Plaines electronics. Ed caught an error in my order and helped me sort it out. Would HIGHLY recommend using Ed if you need this kind of stuff. Good guy.
4) I have noticed the light boards don't perfectly align. In those cases I have had to drill my own pilot holes into the playfield.
5) I have had some issues getting my arms around the 3rd magnet part of this project. That spawned the following thread. This is a work in progress, but I am getting a better ideas of the scope of this "side project". It isn't as simple as screwing a 3rd magnet on!
6) I have also learned that have a 3rd year Purdue Mechanical Engineering student as my helper has been huge! Happens to be my son and with this Covid thing has given us something to focus on. We also have some ideas for some custom mods. More to come on that sooner than later. 3D printer is going to get some overtime!
Well that is the update for now. Slowly but surely....with the emphasis on slowly!
DaveScreen Shot 2020-05-27 at 7.17.48 AM (resized).png