Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Weust
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I did a search and can't find any information on this...

My TZ resets whenever both flippers are pressed at the same time. Meanwhile, when the clock tries to run the gumball VUK starts kicking as well.

I disabled the clock, which fixed the clock/VUK problem (and incidentally, the reset problem) but now when I press both of the flippers at the same time the Spiral Award advances.

This is a fairly recent problem and certainly did not act like this for the first year and half that I owned it. Hasn't been moved, no known trauma.

Can anyone offer any help?

Thanks in advance!

#2 8 years ago

Make sure tz has her own plug all to her self. Test the plug see if enough power coming through. If that don't do it. Then Id say rebuild your bridges and caps on your power supply board.

#3 8 years ago

Before replacing the bridges and caps (BR2 and C5), reseat all of your connections on the left side one your power driver board (J114, J116, J117, J118) and the z-connector right before J117. A corroded or loose connection can cause a reset too.

The phantom switch issue might be related, or maybe just a bad diode. I would see how it reacts while in switch edge test mode.

#4 8 years ago

I agree about reseating connectors first before going all in and replacing stuff. In addition, I'd reseat J101, J102 as well as the ribbon cables and switch connectors at the bottom of the CPU board. If the problem goes away but comes back down the road, at least you know it's just a connector somewhere that will need to be addressed.

#5 8 years ago

Check the switch matrix in your manual. See if the clock, VUK, and spiral switches are related in any way.

They could be on the same row or column. At the least, it might help you narrow down your search.

#6 8 years ago

Thanks guys, that is a good point.... I DID pull all of my ribbon connectors and reseated them. If I recall, it did seem to make an improvement... Now that I think about it... I THINK that when I reseated it got rid of the reset problem and started the clock/vuk problem.

I can take a look at them again.

Switch edges don't show anything abnormal. It doesn't seem to be a 'physical' problem with a shorted switch.. it seems to be something electrical or board related. The Spiral Award advance is a two-part advance... need to hit the left in-lane, then hit the right loop (gumball). So I assume that it can't be a bad switch.. it has to be a logic error.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from lordnorth:

Switch edges don't show anything abnormal. It doesn't seem to be a 'physical' problem with a shorted switch.. it seems to be something electrical or board related. The Spiral Award advance is a two-part advance... need to hit the left in-lane, then hit the right loop (gumball). So I assume that it can't be a bad switch.. it has to be a logic error.

You'd be surprised what a broken diode, stuck switch or switch lug touching metal can show up as during game play. Switches that are seemingly unrelated can cause issues in other areas of the game. It always affects other switches on the same row or column though but can make modes start and balls lock without doing anything to qualify them. I've never had a logic issue on a game that wasn't caused by some sort of switch issue.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from lordnorth:

I did a search and can't find any information on this...

It's a pretty popular topic...

read this: http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

faz

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

It's a pretty popular topic...

I did a search on "Reset TZ" I guess I should have been a little bit more broad in my search.

By the way.... thank you for the link!

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from lordnorth:

I did a search on "Reset TZ" I guess I should have been a little bit more broad in my search.
By the way.... thank you for the link!

If you decide you need some videos to help you with troubleshooting, I highly recommend getting access to Clay's pinballninja.com blog for $20 (details: http://www.pinrepair.com/donate/). I'm not in cahoots with Clay or anything, and I'm not knocking pinwiki, but Clay's videos are really good. There are a lot of videos on there where he troubleshoots and fixes WPC resets. I just searched "tz reset" and found seven videos specific to TZ.

#11 8 years ago

Perhaps your game has two separate problems.
For the reset problem, just work through the PinWiki steps.

But first I'd work on the apparent switch matrix issue that you have. Place the game in switch test (T1), and test the flipper cabinet switches, inlane switches, and whatever else you've noticed is odd. I would test your opto switches too. The behavior you note makes me suspicious of the optos.

--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from lordnorth:

I THINK that when I reseated it got rid of the reset problem and started the clock/vuk problem

Make sure you didn't miss or bend a pin when reseating those cables. That can cause some wonky behavior.

#13 8 years ago

I suspect the unregulated 12V supply. It would explain the otpos triggering when the clock is running, because the clock runs on 12 volts. With the extra load, the supply dips down to where the opto emitters are too dim for the photo transistors to see. The same thing happens when both flippers are pressed, because they load the entire game down. Check the 12 volt connectors at the bottom left corner of the driver board. Since they are only 4 wires each (some have fewer), the wires tend to break right at the connector. If you have a voltmeter, check the 12V on the board.

As for resets, I've had more success changing the LM323 regulator than swapping out BR4 and C5.

Allan

#14 8 years ago

My TZ was resetting. Plugged in Kahr daughter board ($30) and no more resets. If interested, search forums for Rob Kahr Daughter board.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Drumdink:

My TZ was resetting. Plugged in Kahr daughter board ($30) and no more resets. If interested, search forums for Rob Kahr Daughter board.

This board fixed my reset problem too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 1,059.00
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 132.00
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-reset-when-both-flippers-pressed-or-spiral-award-randomly-increase and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.