• 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by bigdaddy07
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20130124_193033.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigdaddy07.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

OK, like the title says, I powered on my TZ today and it gave a message that everything was set back to factory defaults. Scores, settings, clock, everything back to day one. Pissed me off since I worked hard for those scores. The batteries were relatively new (I changed them over the summer. I put brand new ones in anyway). Any ideas as to why it would do this?

#4 11 years ago

Batteries were my first thought. I do have one of those remote batter holders installed. I also checked to make sure the dummies on the board were not loose as well. I suppose I could pull the board and check the solder points.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

Sounds like your game just took a detour................through The Twilight Zone.

Very true but, I like to keep the detours limited to gameplay.

#8 11 years ago

Thanks guys. I replaced the batteries and I will check D2 and D1 as well.

#21 11 years ago

Update - My D1 and D2 were both good. However, I think I located the issue. When I first purchased this game 2 years ago, it had some battery leak so, I pulled the leaky batteries and cleaned up the terminals on the holder (or so I thought, I may have been drinking that day) and put in this remote holder. Well there was still some battery acid left on the left terminal that fused to the bottom of the dummy or blank battery contact thus causing a barrier between the contact. I cleaned that up and the terminal again, except that I'm going to have to pull the board and clean the bottom post as well and re-flow the solder.

20130124_193033.jpg20130124_193033.jpg

#24 11 years ago

OK, so I removed the CPU board and cleaned up the post on the battery holder and checked the solder (which was perfect). However, after I put it back together, I'm now getting error on startup that the switch on the lower jet bumper is not working. I checked the wires, tested the diode and cleaned the contacts but, the problem is still there. I also re-seated the cables on the CPU board just in case, since that was the last thing I messed with.

I suspect the problem is on the boards somewhere but, I'm not astute to reading the schematics enough to find where to check on the board. Anyone have any advise on where I should check?

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did you go into switch edge test and see if that sucker registers there ?

I did check it using the switch edge test. Pressing the plastic ring down and nothing. Since the diode tested out, I'm thinking its on the board somewhere.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Next up I'd check continuity of each wire from the switch to the CPU

Continuity test competed and both wires checked out good. Had to get a little help from the boy of the house on that one since my arms aren't quite long enough.

Quoted from ChrisHibler:

You need to ensure the switch is actually closing. The pop bumper ring may not be closing the switch.

Chris, I can push the ring down and witness the ring pushing the switch contacts together. So, I am assuming that I'm good there. Also, since it detects this issue on start up test, I'm thinking the system is not seeing the switch or is stuck open or closed. I'm thinking I need to inspect/test the boards but, I'm unsure where to look exactly.

#31 11 years ago

Its fixed. After pulling the board again, checking it, and putting it back in, it decided to start working again (mysteriously). Ultimately, I think it was the factory reset from pulling the batteries again that was the fix.

Thanks for all the help/tips.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 29.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigdaddy07.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-reset-itself-to-factory?tu=bigdaddy07 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.