• Latest reply 12 years ago by twizz63
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

My Twilight Zone now reports problems during the start up test, specifically:
sw 57 - slot proximity
sw 88 - lower lock
My question is - what does this mean that I need to do? Do I have to replace those switches? The single switch test reports "open", if that means anything.
TIA

#2 12 years ago

I would first got into tests and perform a manual switch test on the ones that are throwing errors. this will let you know if they are actualy working or not.

#3 12 years ago

The switches may be fine, but the game thinks they are bad because they have not been activated in while. Do what ssathre said and maybe you will get lucky and not have to replace the switches.

#4 12 years ago

Thanks guys. I tried the switch edge test. Pushing down on switch 88 (lower lock) gave an audible click, but no recognition from the game. I didn't try sw 57 as that seems to be hard to get to. I guess that means replacing at least 88. Is there a place to order replacement switches?

#5 12 years ago

It doesn't mean replacement yet. It can mean many things. I can mean there is a switch in the matrix before in a row or column that could be the issue.

You have to examine the wires to each switch, confirm they are still attached, as they can break due to vibration.

You can test the switch with a millimeter on continuity and confirm that when the switch closes it completes the circuit.

If both check out, the issue is elsewhere, or possibly the switch itself needs adjustment as the ball may not be making proper contact.

Then you have to review the switch matrix. Check in the switch test the switches in the column above those switches and to the right. If they work, look to the wires of these switches, as the wire leading the bad switches in question may be broken off. If they don’t work, check the rest up and to the right on the same basis.

If you find that an entire row or column is out, you likely have a faulty IC for the switch matrix.

That is a good starting point though.

#6 12 years ago

where is saint helena bressler?

#7 12 years ago

St Helena is in the Napa Valley, an hour north of San Francisco

#8 12 years ago

Ok.....thanks...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 79.50
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-repair-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.