image-528.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1188.JPG
image-532.jpg
image-268.jpg
image.jpg
image-208.jpg
There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

So I over paid on a TZ through eBay. Mainly because it was only about an hour from my house. It also had an original silkscreened cabinet that was nearly unfaded or banged up. The playfield looked like it was in excellent shape without any scoop wear or insert edging. Well reality reared its head after I got it home and was able to start digging into it.

The front cabinet panel was severly separated from the sides. So much so that both the left and right corner blocks were split in half. The only thing holding them in place was the leg brackets. Sadly, someone had attempted to shore it up by driving a drywall screw through the front of the cabinet to draw it in to the side panel. Thankfully whomever did it at least placed the screw high enough that when the lockdown bar is in place you can't see it. My perfect silkscreened artwork can be saved after all.

I was comptemplating having Bryan Kelly restore this after he finishes my AFM but since I need to shore the front up which entails pulling the playfield, I decided to do my homespun version of a restore.

Some pics to get started

I forgot to take pictures with the screw in and show how the front panel was seperated. Oh well. In this picture you can see the indentation in the top left corner where the screw is. The yellow dot is wood glue seeping out.

image-211.jpgimage-211.jpg
image-403.jpgimage-403.jpg

Split corner blocking

image-502.jpgimage-502.jpg
image-918.jpgimage-918.jpg

All braced up

image-427.jpgimage-427.jpg
image-438.jpgimage-438.jpg
image-109.jpgimage-109.jpg

Did I mention she was a filthy f'ing pig. I don't think anything was cleaned, ever.

image-228.jpgimage-228.jpg
image-503.jpgimage-503.jpg
image-664.jpgimage-664.jpg
image-498.jpgimage-498.jpg
image-612.jpgimage-612.jpg
image-249.jpgimage-249.jpg
image-516.jpgimage-516.jpg
image-911.jpgimage-911.jpg
image-225.jpgimage-225.jpg

Just started cleaned and sanding. Still need to take the cabinet vent screen off and lot more sanding but I'm tired and done for the night.

image-457.jpgimage-457.jpg
image-772.jpgimage-772.jpg

Oh, I thought I would add a few Picts of the alien saucers I painted for my AFM that is going to be restored

image-552.jpgimage-552.jpg
image-986.jpgimage-986.jpg
image-921.jpgimage-921.jpg

#2 9 years ago

It looks like you are off to a great start!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com -The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#3 9 years ago

Moving slow. No rush. I was going to take the wimpy way out and leave the ground braid in place, paint the cabinet and then remove it so I could see where it was to install the new one. It was to hard to sand with it in place so I removed it. God I hope I get it put back in the right spots and get everything grounded properly. Ton more sanding to do. I also got the old stainless steel rails removed. The front panel repair was a success and seems to be as solid as a rock. Here's to hoping it stays that way when its back under full load. You can also see how nice the unfaded original cabinet is. Only issue is under the legs but it is hidden by the protectors.

image-646.jpgimage-646.jpgimage-655.jpgimage-655.jpgimage-411.jpgimage-411.jpg

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Moving slow. No rush. I was going to take the wimpy way out and leave the ground braid in place, paint the cabinet and then remove it so I could see where it was to install the new one. It was to hard to sand with it in place so I removed it. God I hope I get it put back in the right spots and get everything grounded properly. Ton more sanding to do. I also got the old stainless steel rails removed. The front panel repair was a success and seems to be as solid as a rock. Here's to hoping it stays that way when its back under full load. You can also see how nice the unfaded original cabinet is. Only issue is under the legs but it is hidden by the protectors.

image-655.jpg 259 KB

image-411.jpg 265 KB

image-646.jpg 238 KB

WTF!!

From now on, I'm going to do all my restores that way.

#5 9 years ago

Hush it you. LOL.

This is nowhere even remotely on the level you do. It just kinda snowballed from fixing the cabinet front. I wanted to have you do this one too but it's a tweener and I paid too much for it to dump that much into it.

#6 9 years ago

Looking forward to watching this. Cleaning the inside of the cab is one of the hardest bits I think. Re-decal and hide things, but this is on display whenever you lift the playfield. If I'm right - you aren't allowed to get any water on the wood "floor", so do you just recommend sanding and then spraying?

#7 9 years ago

Yeah, no water on the fiberboard floor. It would swell like a sob. I'm not going to sand crazy, just get it looking fresh. It will look 99% better than before. No painting the bottom, though I am seriously condidering a sanding sealer to keep the dirt and carbon from absorbing again. This would allow me to be able to clean it with a damp cloth if need be. I will be painting the sides all the way down.

#9 9 years ago

Nice work, I love these restore threads.

#10 9 years ago

Thanks guys.

So, I was finishing up sanding and started sanding the bottom side when I noticed I overlooked that the front panel bottom lip was seperated as well as the back end bottom lip. So...out comes the wood glue and clamps. You can see the two beads of fresh glue. Fun on hold until the glue dries. I did buy the silkscreened though so I can rescreen the warning text and patents on the cabinet. That sucking sound is the vacuum removing more money from my account. LOL

image-691.jpgimage-691.jpg

#11 9 years ago

Another small update. I also noticed there were a couple bad areas where the plywood veneer had been damaged.

image-857.jpgimage-857.jpg

So I pulled out the bondo.

image-673.jpgimage-673.jpg

After curing and sanding there are still a few imperfections that didnt sand out (damnit) so I will need to do another coat tomorrow.

image-235.jpgimage-235.jpg
image-798.jpgimage-798.jpg
image-710.jpgimage-710.jpg

The bottom cleaned up very nice. A small area of residual glue at the two seems but I'm probably done with sanding it.

image-442.jpgimage-442.jpg

This weekend I will drag the cabinet to my outbuilding and paint her up and get to reassembling it. Then on to the head.

#12 9 years ago

I have a few cabinet issues to deal with, myself. My F14 had the lock down bracket ripped off and I have a pretty bad ding on the front of my EBD head.

Bondo sounds like a good fix. Thanks for the idea.

#13 9 years ago

Looking good!

#14 9 years ago

Thanks Jints.

So yesterday was somewhat productive. I got the game to my outbuilding and got it primed and filled. I also applied two coats of polyurethane to both the inside and outside of the cabinet bottom. That way dirt and carbon wipes of with a wet rag as apposed to having to be sanded out.

image-8.jpgimage-8.jpgimage-522.jpgimage-522.jpgimage-892.jpgimage-892.jpgimage-914.jpgimage-914.jpgimage-521.jpgimage-521.jpgimage-736.jpgimage-736.jpgimage-201.jpgimage-201.jpgimage-184.jpgimage-184.jpgimage-851.jpgimage-851.jpgimage-657.jpgimage-657.jpgimage-296.jpgimage-296.jpg

Today I plan on sanding the filler coat, filling a few staple holes I missed and finally paint the cabinet black.

**edit: I don't know why pinside posted these in reverse order? I inserted them in order. Oh well. Sorry.

#15 9 years ago

So everything has went swimmingly thus far....

Then I applied the black and one whole side had pitted grain bad. It felt smooth but the gloss and black accentuated it horribly. The other side is perfect. SIGH!
image-818.jpgimage-818.jpg

Time to break out the filler.

image-143.jpgimage-143.jpg

After sanding it was smooth as a babies butt.

image-794.jpgimage-794.jpg

Then the stupids struck. I rushed to prime and top coat. I wanted to get the cabinet done today and I was impatient. I have been in the commercial paint industry over 20 years. I know better. What the pictures show is mud cracking. Grrr.. Dumb me.

image-542.jpgimage-542.jpg

#16 9 years ago

So while I am waiting to correct my cab screw up I was working in stripping the playfield and its dirtier than I first thought it was. So... I bit the bullet and bought one of these.

image-709.jpgimage-709.jpg

I sure hope it works as well as everyone is saying it does.

#17 9 years ago

Man, you guys are killing me with the fancy ultrasonics. I have the big Harbor Freight one, need to know if the bigger ones are that much better. Nevermind, don't need to know. Can't justify a $600 cleaner.

#18 9 years ago

Got a lot done today! Corrected the side; though still not as good as I wanted but I'm not doing it again. Ground braid in. Vent screens cleaned, painted and installed. Also got a few of the shop out stickers installed.

image-39.jpgimage-39.jpgimage-309.jpgimage-309.jpg

#19 9 years ago

That's interesting, Keith. I had that same crackling happen to me once on the back of a cabinet. I had put a light coat of black on, then another, then another. All a few minutes apart. Turns out I grabbed the wrong can on the second coat. It was black primer, not paint. I now only use grey primer so I can tell the cans apart.

Quoted from Skins:

So everything has went swimmingly thus far....
Then I applied the black and one whole side had pitted grain bad. It felt smooth but the gloss and black accentuated it horribly. The other side is perfect. SIGH!

Time to break out the filler.

After sanding it was smooth as a babies butt.

Then the stupids struck. I rushed to prime and top coat. I wanted to get the cabinet done today and I was impatient. I have been in the commercial paint industry over 20 years. I know better. What the pictures show is mud cracking. Grrr.. Dumb me.

image-818.jpg 195 KB

image-143.jpg 242 KB

image-794.jpg 313 KB

image-542.jpg 250 KB

#20 9 years ago

That cabinet is going to look nice.

Are you going to reuse your old side rails, or are you going with new?

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

That's interesting, Keith. I had that same crackling happen to me once on the back of a cabinet. I had put a light coat of black on, then another, then another. All a few minutes apart. Turns out I grabbed the wrong can on the second coat. It was black primer, not paint. I now only use grey primer so I can tell the cans apart.

Mine was simply being impatient. With it being cool (50degrees) and I coated on top of the previous coat too soo. Like I said, stupid me.

Quoted from TrainH2o:

That cabinet is going to look nice.
Are you going to reuse your old side rails, or are you going with new?

Thank you. Nope on the rails. Everything in black powder coat.

#22 9 years ago

Tiny update.

LOL

image-214.jpgimage-214.jpgimage-841.jpgimage-841.jpgimage-231.jpgimage-231.jpg

#23 9 years ago

Transformer cleaned and painted. The slight flashing is the varnish that didn't want to sand out very well. image-579.jpgimage-579.jpg

#24 9 years ago

Good job!

#25 9 years ago

Thanks!

So a big toy arrived.

image-552.jpgimage-552.jpgimage-436.jpgimage-436.jpgimage-839.jpgimage-839.jpg

ALMOST fits a lockdown reciever
image-978.jpgimage-978.jpg

Moving slooow

image-194.jpgimage-194.jpg

image-715.jpgimage-715.jpg

#26 9 years ago

On to the head.

Sanded as smooth as fiberboard can get.

image-731.jpgimage-731.jpgimage-869.jpgimage-869.jpg

But there is always little divots because of the nature of the fibers being pressed into a sheet.
image-584.jpgimage-584.jpg

Out comes the filler.

image-771.jpgimage-771.jpg

Once sanded, the only filler left will be in the divots leaving a smooth surface.

Oh, and more corner separation. Grrr. Now I'm at a stand still until the glue cures.

image-960.jpgimage-960.jpg

#27 9 years ago

Outstanding. I'm jealous of the ultrasonic. what size is that? It looks like the lockdown bar would fit with out the basket. Ideally you just have something to set off the bar from the bottom based on my experience, but having it touch the side shouldn't be a issue.

#28 9 years ago

Thanks man. Yes it would fit without the basket. It is a 27L 900watt version.

So while I'm waiting on the glue to dry. I cleaned and buffed and painted hardware. Some of the brackets were pitted and I almost painted them. In then end I buffed them.
After.  As good as they will getAfter. As good as they will getimage-964.jpgimage-964.jpgimage-181.jpgimage-181.jpgimage-768.jpgimage-768.jpgBeforeBefore

I found a really great brushed nickle in a rattle can. Looks very close to stainless/galvanized surfaces. Cleaned up the vent screen and pcb mounting board.
image-332.jpgimage-332.jpgBeforeBeforeAfterAfterClose-up.  Still wet. It dries to a satinClose-up. Still wet. It dries to a satin

**i don't know why pinside rearranges the pictures out of order of what I upload them as?**

#29 9 years ago

Moving along. Head is painted. I'm a perfectionist and if I wanted to be ocd, there were a couple areas that weren't perfect once the glossy black accentuated them in my eye; but it is still gorgeous. image-668.jpgimage-668.jpgimage-304.jpgimage-304.jpg

Hopefully it will be dry enough tomorrow to start reassembling it.

Next up, **gulp**, ultrasonic cleaning the cabinet harness. Starting to get out of my comfort zone.

#30 9 years ago

Silkscreened done. Easier than I thought it would be. Big shout out to Brian Kelly and his instructional video.

image-200.jpgimage-200.jpg
image-847.jpgimage-847.jpg
image-981.jpgimage-981.jpg
image-359.jpgimage-359.jpg

#31 9 years ago

Very nice. Is there a need to clear the silk screen once done?

1 week later
#32 9 years ago

So a little progress. I got all the powder coating back and most of the cabinet reassembled. Waiting on a new extra ball button and the harness connections to completely dry before I plug them back in. I also have to move the ground braid in a spot.

image-458.jpgimage-458.jpgimage-163.jpgimage-163.jpgimage-807.jpgimage-807.jpgimage-231.jpgimage-231.jpgimage-755.jpgimage-755.jpg

And a few shots of my messy quasi workshop/basement.

image-568.jpgimage-568.jpgimage-898.jpgimage-898.jpgimage-34.jpgimage-34.jpg

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Very nice. Is there a need to clear the silk screen once done?

Sorry I missed this. No I don't see any need to. It's a oil based silkscreen ink so it should be durable.

#34 9 years ago

Your work looks amazing. One question about powder coating the legs, lock-down bar and side rails. How durable is that coating?

It looks great, but I have wondered how susceptible it is to scratching or getting chipped off.

#35 9 years ago

Thank you for saying so. I appreciate it very much. Powder is very durable. You can also get it powder coated with a clear top coat (which these are not).

#36 9 years ago

Now that the cab is most done, my attention now shifts to the playfield tear down. I know that TZ was the most complex pin ever for the era but holy hell. There are a million pieces and I swear 100 optos. LOL. I have previously done 4 playfield swaps and this is the most daunting. Plus she is a filthy pig. Everything is filthy! The dirtiest pin I have ever owned.

Some progress shots.

image-74.jpgimage-74.jpgimage-466.jpgimage-466.jpgimage-551.jpgimage-551.jpgimage-402.jpgimage-402.jpgimage-262.jpgimage-262.jpg

#37 9 years ago

Very impressive. Incredibly nice work!!!

1 week later
#38 9 years ago

So TZ has taken a back burner to my flash restore. Time to kick it in the ass. Old playfield stripped, new one up to bat.

I bought a new rotisserie and I love it compared to my old pipe one. Also got a cool multi-directional iPad mini mount so I can scroll through pictures without holding it. Pretty nice little work area.

image-947.jpgimage-947.jpgimage-638.jpgimage-638.jpgimage-11.jpgimage-11.jpg

Also, if you're thinking about new wood rails I highly suggest getting them from TaylorVA. They are beautiful. I'll take a few pics later. Headed out to lunch with the kids.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from hendrix:

Very impressive. Incredibly nice work!!!

Thank you for saying so. It's always nice to hear others appreciate what you're doing.

#40 9 years ago

Screw polishing/buffing. 5 hours in and I still have a handful of parts. Looks so pretty when done though.

1/4 polished, the balance not polisheD.1/4 polished, the balance not polisheD.

#41 9 years ago

Fantastic work so far Skins. She's going to be awesome when finished.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Fantastic work so far Skins. She's going to be awesome when finished.

Thank you!

Does anyone have any tips drilling ball guides for the third magnet when the third hole is factory from mirco. The Pinbits instructions work off the premise there isn't a third hole and you reference of the playfield third hole pilot. That and the tape edge line up thing is slightly confusing to me for some reason. At the end of the day, the optos need to be aligned with each other over the center of the magnet pole, yes?

#43 9 years ago

So I got the ball guides drilled fror the third magnet optos. The bit through the bodies was to line them up for mounting the housings. Now to can get back to installing top side stuff.

image-838.jpgimage-838.jpgimage-53.jpgimage-53.jpg

#44 9 years ago

Productive weekend. Not a ton put on the playfield but a ton of cleaning and buffing.

image-972.jpgimage-972.jpgimage-490.jpgimage-490.jpgimage-102.jpgimage-102.jpgimage-396.jpgimage-396.jpgimage-645.jpgimage-645.jpg
image-49.jpgimage-49.jpg

And my messy work area.

image-788.jpgimage-788.jpg

As a parting gift, I present my poor man's buffing stand.

image-900.jpgimage-900.jpgimage-334.jpgimage-334.jpg

I didn't want to move my bench buffer from my out building so I picked this up at Sears. Problem was they didn't have a stand. I threw this together until Amazon delivers one on Tuesday. It is surprisingly stable and held up over during 5 hours of buffing.

#45 9 years ago

Great looking work. It makes me so happy when I see someone put the effort into restoring a pin. One more great pin in circulation!

#46 9 years ago

Wow this is a fun read! Great pictures by the way, I feel like I'm watching every step. Amazing work man. She's going to be a beauty.

#47 9 years ago

Love the progress and the attention to detail like the extreme polishing, etc. I know how much work that is not including all the work you've put into the cabinet already which looks fantastic.

#48 9 years ago

So, if you put all your playfield screws and metal posts into a tumbler, won't you have to seal them with something? I was thinking they would corrode pretty fast.

I need to tumble mine, but wondered about sealing them.

#49 9 years ago

Thank you

As for polishing, I put all metal parts in the ultrasonic cleaner and then buff the stainless steel stuff and then lightly apply some mothers. I don't tumble zinc coated stuff like hardware. Well, I buff hex posts but not screws. The ultrasonic cleaner gets the screws looking brand new without removing the zinc plating. This game wouldn't be half as clean without the ultrasonic cleaner.

#50 9 years ago

More polishing....

image-145.jpgimage-145.jpgimage-407.jpgimage-407.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 132.00
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.50
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-refresh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.