cd20acfa2725a3810b7a6087f829bbecb5493049 (resized).jpg
DSCN1038_(Large).JPG
DSCN1037_(Large).JPG
Tumbler.jpg
slike_telefon_001.jpg
slike_telefon_002.jpg
slike_telefon_003.jpg
slike_telefon_004.jpg
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 13 years ago

Just got a brand new original TZ powerball.......are they rare? Can't decide whether to sell or keep?

#2 13 years ago

Forgot to say it is in it's original packaging if that makes any difference...

#3 13 years ago

A NOS powerball would indeed be rare at this point. That being said, I can't imagine it would be worth a ton, since the repros look and play the exact same.

#4 13 years ago

Someone said the original ball plays different to repros? Anyway a good day as also got 4 AFM original aliens and an original TAF set of plastics ( 38 pieces )........addictive hobby this is

#5 13 years ago

I can confirm that the replacement powerball I order some years ago to replace my original did indeed play different. I'm still sad to this very day that I lost my original.

Lost it? Yeash, it was *probably* thrown into the trashcan by my friend's two-year old, who has a knack for tossing stuff in the bin. The trash was emptied before we found out the ball was missing (No, the kid is not the world's youngest pinball technician, this event happened during a tech troubleshooting week when the balls were laying on the table and he probably got hold of the nice shiny white one).

Anyways, back on topic. I'm not sure all after market replacements are equal, but the one I got (which was quite expensive as I recall) did play different - my feeling is that it plays "lighter". Snif.

#6 13 years ago

I can confirm what robin wrote; it plays different or. lighter. When I had TZ I bought new ceramic powerball and not for small amount of money. I had the old powerball and a scale...so here are my results....just look at the pictures; the new powerball is exactly 3 grams lighter than the original!

Oh and when I sold my TZ the new powerball went with it and I kept the old powerball for myself.

slike_telefon_004.jpgslike_telefon_004.jpg slike_telefon_003.jpgslike_telefon_003.jpg slike_telefon_002.jpgslike_telefon_002.jpg slike_telefon_001.jpgslike_telefon_001.jpg

#7 13 years ago

Good work, that explains it, mine bounces around a fair bit and is so quick, it can be scary.

#8 13 years ago

Consider me enlightened. I don't understand why they would make a repro that weighs so much less. On a side note, isn't it possible to put an old powerball in a tumbler and get it looking new again?

#9 13 years ago

Yes .....you can make them look new again. I have two and just overnight makes them sparkle.

#10 13 years ago

Agree @ Leigh, sometimes the power ball is frickin out - of - control!!

#11 13 years ago

How do you make the old one look new again?

#12 13 years ago

"How do you make the old one look new again?"

You need to use a vibratory tumbler. Something like this would do the job nicely:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/product.asp?ic=BT400

Tumbler.jpgTumbler.jpg

#13 13 years ago

I think that they don't know exactly how to make a repro powerball with same weight.

#14 13 years ago

Probably not the same manufacturer and the compound is not exactly the same.

#15 13 years ago

I just weighed my powerball - it was 61 grams. I assume the extra 1.7 grams is the plastic bag? Looks like I have an original powerball

I clean mine with chrome cleaner (used for cleaning motorbikes/cars) and rub it all over with a scouring pad that is normally used to clean up sinks. Make sure that you wear gloves if you do clean it this way, as it will take the skin off your fingers otherwise. It soon gets dirty again after a few games though...

1 year later
#17 11 years ago
Quoted from greatmorra:

How do you make the old one look new again?

You can use any metal polish (I have used Blue Magic but it stinks) and an old sock and go to it. You will get it as clean as new, but it takes effort.

Dan

#18 11 years ago

A stationary buffing wheel with compound, will restore a powerball in minutes.

#19 11 years ago

Never even wondered if I had an original...until now that is

#20 11 years ago

I do have the original for mine somewhere? It looked much like that grey dirty one pictured above. If I find it, I will try giving it a good polish and then see if it plays better (not that the one I have plays bad).

#21 11 years ago

Doesn't the owners manual tell you NOT to clean the powerball? I don't have it in front of me, I just thought I remembered reading it and finding it odd.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from lordnorth:

Doesn't the owners manual tell you NOT to clean the powerball? I don't have it in front of me, I just thought I remembered reading it and finding it odd.

Good catch!

"It is normal for the powerball to change color from white to pearlecent color as it ages. This in no way effects the playability or the ability of the game to detect it's presence in the playfield! Cleaning of the Powerball IS NOT recomended. "

Page 2

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

A stationary buffing wheel with compound, will restore a powerball in minutes.

even better, if you have the buffing wheel.

Dan

#24 11 years ago

Who could resist the chance to weigh and measure their balls?

Based on the look and weight (61.5g), I'm guessing mine is an original. Looks like it is a little less than 1-1/16 inch as that would be 1.0625 in decimal form.

DSCN1037_(Large).JPGDSCN1037_(Large).JPG DSCN1038_(Large).JPGDSCN1038_(Large).JPG

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

"It is normal for the powerball to change color from white to pearlecent color as it ages.

Ooo "pearlescent" sounds so much better than "dirty" or "grey"

#26 11 years ago

Mine are originals aswell one came in my Avatar LE and it came with a spare from the factory both factory originals

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from anewhope:

Ooo "pearlescent" sounds so much better than "dirty" or "grey"

haha yep. I would also accept "antiqued" or "patina"

#28 11 years ago

Oh man, now I have to know what mine weighs. Now where did I stash those triple beams

#29 11 years ago

Now that you know the difference I guess this will create a new market of items to over inflate the prices on.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

Oh man, now I have to know what mine weighs. Now where did I stash those triple beams

Probably with the ziplock bags and the four quarters you are about to front.

Dan

3 weeks later
#31 11 years ago

Anybody have an "extra" original one they'd be willing to part with? The TZ I just bought has a new one and it's pretty dang light. It loves to zip around the playfield like it's filled with helium.

I guess I should weight it first to make sure it is indeed that much lighter......

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Consider me enlightened. I don't understand why they would make a repro that weighs so much less. On a side note, isn't it possible to put an old powerball in a tumbler and get it looking new again?

Ditto! I can't believe I never made the connection! My new one bounces around like crazy. I still have the old one, and only swapped it out because I could. Never thought to tumble the old one. I may do that tonight and give it a whirl.

#33 11 years ago

Now I feel like an even bigger idiot for losing my original. I went looking for it recently, and couldn't find it. I was going to give it away to another Pinsider. I completely forgot about this thread.

4 years later
#34 7 years ago

Just had to weigh in myself here mine is 63 grams (rounded my scale doesn't do decimals) and I'm sure it's original and came out of a sample game!

cd20acfa2725a3810b7a6087f829bbecb5493049 (resized).jpgcd20acfa2725a3810b7a6087f829bbecb5493049 (resized).jpg

#35 7 years ago

The three TZ Powerballs I have weigh between 60-64 grams, a little less than 20 grams (25% lighter) than a regular pinball at 80 grams.
My original Powerball from my TZ from the factory weighs 62 grams.
I do not know what the new ceramic balls weigh, but keep in mind these are still manufactured as ball bearings for industrial purposes.
They are not exclusively "pinball devices".
It is hard for me to believe that "new" Powerballs are much different in variance.
I guess you could ask the part suppliers for the weight, if the details are not listed, for quality control of construction.

#36 7 years ago

I'm a bit concerned, I want to try and find another two balls for my Party Zone cause I really like how they play. The heavier the better I would think, but 59 grams is way too light. I've had an original glow ball from a Night Viper and it was 60 grams and compared to this one at 63 grams they both played dramatically different on my old Paragon. With the open pf on the widebody it was apparent to me. So I'd rather not invest another $100 on two, when I may find 2 dirty originals cheaper and would play better?

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#37 7 years ago

I was thinking about putting a powerball in an Atari game that has a 'captive ball'... do you think it's a bad idea to have a powerball hitting a captive steel ball?

Thanks,
Jody

#38 7 years ago

I think it would be ok because the ceramic ball still nails steel rails, slides and everything else in a pf anyway?

#39 7 years ago

makes sense.. thank you!

#40 7 years ago

Does anybody know what the cool glow balls are made of, I know they have a steel core so they work with magnets?

11 (resized).JPG11 (resized).JPG

3 years later
#41 3 years ago

Hi from Italy,
I am finally picking up a Twilight Zone tomorow . Powerball is missing. I have seen that many china seller sell ceramic bearing balls. From what I see the right material, given the weight of the ball, is Zirconium dioxide ZrO2. The volume of a 1"1/16 ball is 10.29 cm3, zirconium dioxide is 6 g/cm3 so the weight of a ball of that material is 61.74g. Seems to be the same of a NOS powerball. There are also white balls made of alumina but they wheigt much less at around 30g. I'm curios to try one of these china balls because they are half the price of an official powerball. Has anyone bought one?

#42 3 years ago

Remember though, it's not just weight and size, but hardness as well. Not hard enough, and it'll shatter.

Depending on cost, grab one and try it.

1 month later
#43 3 years ago

I received my Chinese Powerball yesterday. It's beautiful and super shiny. Material is ZrO2 and exactly 1-1/16" in size. Weight is 62 grams (62.2682g manufacturer specs). I tried a game in my road show (TZ in restoration) and it plays really well. Will see how it holds up in time but for now it looks good

IMG_20201030_182548 (resized).jpgIMG_20201030_182548 (resized).jpgIMG_20201031_173120__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20201031_173120__01 (resized).jpg
#44 3 years ago
Quoted from Piso:

I received my Chinese Powerball yesterday. It's beautiful and super shiny. Material is ZrO2 and exactly 1-1/16" in size. Weight is 62 grams (62.2682g manufacturer specs). I tried a game in my road show (TZ in restoration) and it plays really well. Will see how it holds up in time but for now it looks good
[quoted image][quoted image]

Ebay
Link?
Is this it? Wow, expensive!
ebay.com link: 29mm Loose Ceramic ZrO2 Ball G40 Bearing Ball

#45 3 years ago

No, AliExpress. Search for ZrO2 26.988 ball. Can't raccomend it for now cause I still haven't tested it fully yet

4 months later
#46 3 years ago
Quoted from Piso:

No, AliExpress. Search for ZrO2 26.988 ball. Can't raccomend it for now cause I still haven't tested it fully yet

It's been 4 months, what do you think?

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Ebay
Link?
Is this it? Wow, expensive!
ebay.com link: 29mm Loose Ceramic ZrO2 Ball G40 Bearing Ball

That ad you posted is for 10

#48 3 years ago

If anyone has 2 power balls put both in the game actually can handle 1 extra ball in gumball machine so i put another powerball in , missus hated it at first but not now

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from john17a:

If anyone has 2 power balls put both in the game actually can handle 1 extra ball in gumball machine so i put another powerball in , missus hated it at first but not now

The software only expects one powerball in the game. You can get unusual and unexpected results having more than one.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

The software only expects one powerball in the game. You can get unusual and unexpected results having more than one.

I certainly havnt and to clarify you can put just a standard ball in if you wish

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 12.95
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 22.50
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-powerball-original?hl=jake35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.