(Topic ID: 94423)

TZ pop bumper mods to prevent/reduce drains?

By Dommer

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by PC-Pin-NC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I'm working getting TZ up and running. i know one of the biggest pains with this game is the infamous pop bumper skill shot that can easily drain to the outlane. Right now, i have the two star posts in it to prevent this (which is how i got it. it's an early run machine). I wanted to see if there is any way to make it a little more challenging but reduce this. maybe just one post? maybe a thin mini post like this? http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4195

I also wanted to see if anyone know where i could get smooth topped bolts to put in the holes if i wanted to make it more challenging. the only ones at the hardware store i found that fit had screw slots, which i'm worried will scratch up the pinballs.

#2 9 years ago

There are plastic plugs that go in the holes. The post you want to buy are the ones that originally went in the game and made it a pita for drains, so most people put the plastic plugs in.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

There are plastic plugs that go in the holes. The post you want to buy are the ones that originally went in the game and made it a pita for drains, so most people put the plastic plugs in.

do you know where i can get plugs for the holes? link?

#4 9 years ago

You want a pair of "tree clips", part number 03-8416. Pinball Resource had some a few years back, I don't know if they still do. Pinball Spare Parts Australia shows them in stock: http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=03-8416

#5 9 years ago

$5 AUD a pop minus shipping seems a little steep. Anyone know of a better place to source them?

#6 9 years ago

Why plug the holes?? It's part of TZ's charm!

Got Lost In The Zone lit? Better not shoot the hitchhiker lane or battle the power. It's all part of the strategy. It's a brutal game but for me that's what makes it fun. It rewards good nudging and strategic decisions. Part of the reason battling the power is so fun - because if you win you don't get thrown in the pops!

Just my $.02, I'll get off my soapbox now haha. I just love the game.

#7 9 years ago

i want to get the plugs so i have the option to make it harder. right now i've got the star posts in, like this picture:
http://gameroomblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/twilight-zone-pinball-prototype4.jpg

i want to plug the holes so it doesn't wear the playfield if i take the star posts out. also interested if there is a nice in between.

#8 9 years ago

I have no issues with draining

#9 9 years ago

My biggest drain issue is when I send it up the left ramp, if it isn't strong enough and rolls back down, it will go SDTM 99% of the time.

Do all TZ's do this?

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from PC-Pin-NC:

My biggest drain issue is when I send it up the left ramp, if it isn't strong enough and rolls back down, it will go SDTM 99% of the time.
Do all TZ's do this?

i've only played a couple in good condition and this isn't uncomment. maybe the flippers are a little weak? wax/clean the plastic ramp?

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from PC-Pin-NC:

Do all TZ's do this?

That's not common on mine but I go SDTM 99% of the time after bouncing out of the ball lock. That drives me f-ing crazy!

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from mac622:

That's not common on mine but I go SDTM 99% of the time after bouncing out of the ball lock. That drives me f-ing crazy!

Try to bump your machine so it carams (sp?) off the 2 greed targets a little more on it's way down.

Quoted from PC-Pin-NC:

Do all TZ's do this?

No...but anyway...you gotta shake that bad boy if it's coming down to disrupt the balls angle straight down your dangle.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Dommer:

i want to plug the holes so it doesn't wear the playfield if i take the star posts out. also interested if there is a nice in between.

My holes aren't plugged, and they have no wear.

#14 9 years ago

I actually found someone who has a couple extra they are sending me.

In terms of bounce outs and SDTM stuff, I figure I'll have to do some tweaking when I do get it up and going (this weekend, fingers crossed). Might get some adjustable offset posts like this:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-2732

#15 9 years ago

You can lose the posts in the pop bumpers, and just tighten up the gap on the left outlane.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No...but anyway...you gotta shake that bad boy if it's coming down to disrupt the balls angle straight down your dangle.

Thanks Law. I'll work on that!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.50
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 132.00
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-pop-bumper-mods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.