New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 276398)

TZ playfield Restore or Replace?

By Pin_Guy

55 days ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 55 days ago by Toucanf16
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 55 days ago

I have a very nice Twilight Zone playfield that has several inserts that are very slightly sunken, but there is no ghosted inserts or worn spots on the board.

The question I have for the community is it worth sending out to be restored and clear coated, or is it better and/or more cost effective to replace it?

If I do send it out, who does the best work and what would I be looking at spending to end up with a "perfect" silky smooth clear coated play field?

#3 55 days ago

I prefer to get the original PF restored & cleared, it's a known quantity (colours, alignment of the drilled holes and dimples, etc) .

There were slight colour pantone variations used by the TZ PF manufacturers (there were 3 manufacturers at least, possibly 4 from what I recall) and the repro TZ PF I've seen was different yet again - so if you like the colours in yours and the overall quality of the PF is in good nick then I'd say get it restored. While the idea of getting a replacement is attractive and easier to do a PF swap, unless you get to see it in person before buying I find there are too many unknowns which can lead to disappointment.

My 2 cents worth

#4 55 days ago

Check with Ron, but I think all he does now is clearing. Don't quote me, but I don't think he does PF restorations anymore.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside