• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by ALY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi,

I'm a fresh (and proud) owner of a Twilight Zone pinball machine.
I have one quick question for those who have seen and played a couple of TZs...

Is it normal that if you finish a game with 2 balls in lock the next play starts with one ball (3 balls are in Gumball all time)?
It's kind of annoying if this ball is Powerball so you have 3 balls in Gumball, 2 balls in lock from previous game or previous player and you are playing with one, that can be Powerball. Every time!

I'm sure you will have an answer to that.

#2 10 years ago

This is normal. I have had several of these machines and they are all the same.

#3 10 years ago

normal but I think there is a setting to dump the balls after every game.

#4 10 years ago

I'm not positive, but I don't think there is a setting to dump the balls from the lock after a game immediately on TZ. Some games have this. Just know it is normal. If you must have them out you can turn the game off/on and it will spit the balls out after initialization.

#5 10 years ago

Well...shoot the right orbit to load the powerball into the gumball machine...

--
Chris Hibler

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6 10 years ago

Thanks for those answers.
It's surprising to me that the game was developed that way and allows a possibility to have 3 Powerballs and you have to shoot the right loop to change the ball.
I mean... it's not tournament language at all.
Or if I think of that 6 balls are needed for this game and you put your coin in and cycle with just one ball.

Balls should be dumped at least after the end of 1-4 players game. By default.
So is there really a setting for this?

#7 10 years ago

Go check out the manual to see if there is a feature setting for this. If you don't have a manual, it is available at ipdb.org.

#8 10 years ago

Think of it as a bonus. You get a free shot to the camera from the lock kickout!

In tournament play, I imagine that the game is manually reset to release the balls from the lock.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from ralfonso:

Think of it as a bonus. You get a free shot to the camera from the lock kickout!
In tournament play, I imagine that the game is manually reset to release the balls from the lock.

In tournament play on TZ you remove the ONE powerball from the machine and set the machine settings to no ceramic ball/emulate powerball every two gumball machine releases. Thus for every player the 'powerball' (now a real metal pinball) is released every two gumball cycles from the gumball machine. you can tell when the machine is doing emulation or tournament powerball rules since the powerball message (shoot gumball) on the DMD will be in REVERSED colored text (orange background black text).

As far as the locked balls not being dumped, There is no setting to get it to dump them after game end, the only way is some sort of boot cycle (into diag and out, power cycle, slam tilt, etc.).

No matter what, the ceramic ball may not be in the gumball machine at the start of a game. That's just the luck of the draw where it starts at (which is why you REMOVE it for tournament play). So that everyone is on equal footing (two gumball releases for powerball shot).

Thus your description of the powerball being the only ball in the trough is a normal occurrence on a TZ, in theory, on location the powerball wouldn't be the only ball in play very long (since one would tend to shoot the powerball back into the gumball for powerball mania or into lock to save for later). Consider it a bonus to a machine you walk up on that the powerball is the only ball in play and you get off to a good start with extra points you didn't have to work hard for.

#10 10 years ago

Hehe, good point @themadman.
Solution... make a Slam tilt button so you don't need to reset or open the coin box to reset the balls
We should make 9.5 version for TZ and add this feature to release the balls from lock if you pres Extra ball for 3 seconds
I would pay for this ROM ASAP.
Btw anyone knows where I can get a 9.4CH ROM for a good price?
It's kind of hard to find. Don't want 9.4H because I would like to keep the coin play.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 22.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 79.50
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep
Led
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-pinballs-staying-locked-on-a-new-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.