Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pinballsmith
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG
IMG_0085.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_6745.jpg
$(KGrHqZ,!r!FG8DCFG!6BR3EW4!cwg~~60_35.jpg
IMG_0051.JPG
2013-07-08_20.36.12.jpg
PianoModColor.jpg

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Thanks to the help of numerous people, companies, suppliers, etc... I'm happy to say that these are now available for purchase. It's been quite a hassle getting these made with all the legal trouble, equipment failure, and the financial aspect of the project.

At the moment, I only have the standard version available to those who did not preorder. The other version has a lighted keyboard which I'll make available after everyone who preorderd receives their piece. One slight problem did come up after the models were made. I forgot to clear an area for the clock wires and connectors. I'm having to dremel the back of the models to allow room for the connector (you won't see this area anyways). Later runs will have this as part of the mold for a more cleaner area.

The price is currently set at $85 with free shipping. Please contact me for payment information. I plan to keep this project going and I'm taking request for future products. I'm running everything through Rick at Planetary Pinball and those who may have copyrights for the permission to proceed with making new items.

The goal of this project is to drastically improve in the quality department of mods. Each piece that is being made is not a modified aftermarket product, but rather a piece designed to be utilized within a pinball machine. More information to come.

PianoModColor.jpg 2013-07-08_20.36.12.jpg

#2 6 years ago

Looks great! GLWS

#3 6 years ago

Is this the piano I seen on ebay?

#4 6 years ago

*edit* oop, nevermind, I'm waiting for the lighted keyboard.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Still working on getting the light evenly distributed over the keyboard (almost done).

Quoted from mario_1_up:

Is this the piano I seen on ebay?

Yes, this is the one on eBay.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The lighted keyboard version is now available. I can fit only a few more people into this first run. After that, it will be a few weeks until more are available.
IMG_0051.JPG

#7 6 years ago

Looks awesome! Nicely done...

#8 6 years ago

Looking good. Cool added touches mod.

#9 6 years ago

Two more left in this first run.

// Error: Image 115359 not found //

#10 6 years ago

Lighted keyboard ... Do I get credit for that idea
Great work!!

#11 6 years ago

That was a inside joke by the way... Great mod bump !!

#13 6 years ago

I'm in, assuming you still have one with lights. Sent you a PM as well, just lemme know and I'll send the paypal immediately. Was too busy to troll most of yesterday.

#14 6 years ago

The light would look a lot better if it was evenly distributed through the keys...

#15 6 years ago

How can I go about ordering one of these? They came out great!

Rob

#16 6 years ago

For those of us who didn't follow your past thread, how are you treating the 44 sockets/bulb caps?

Are those the two keyboard lights pictured; did you move them/lose the bulb caps?

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

The light would look a lot better if it was evenly distributed through the keys...

Have any suggestions? I am actively working on this and was going to add an extra set of surface LEDs.

Quoted from NM:

For those of us who didn't follow your past thread, how are you
treating the 44 sockets/bulb caps?
Are those the two keyboard lights pictured; did you move them/lose the bulb caps?

They are inserted behind the piano to light up the player piano roll. There are wires that can connect to the socket pins to have the option to light up the keyboard as well.

#18 6 years ago

Looks really good! If you wanted to spread the light out on the keyboard, so it's not so spotted, you could probably back the lights off a smidge and put a small plastic diffuser over the length of the keyboard on the underside. Something the equivalent of a Roscoe Powder Frost in diffusion style would probably even that spread pretty nicely.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballsmith:

Still working on getting the light evenly distributed over the keyboard (almost done).

Have you tried an LED strip underneath rather then indv. LEDs?
$(KGrHqZ,!r!FG8DCFG!6BR3EW4!cwg~~60_35.jpg

#20 6 years ago

Too small. The spacing on those LED strips is too far apart to fit in there. I'd place good money on that.

#21 6 years ago

These led strips can be cut every 2 inches, I bet the piano keys is shorter then that. There are three leds within that span.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

These led strips can be cut every 2 inches, I bet the piano keys is shorter then that. There are three leds within that span.

I could also build my own and space them much closer. I'm still playing around with some ideas.

#23 6 years ago

Have any suggestions? I am actively working on this and was going to add an extra set of surface LEDs.

They are inserted behind the piano to light up the player piano roll. There are wires that can connect to the socket pins to have the option to light up the keyboard as well.

Can you use some EL tape?

#24 6 years ago

COB LED strips-- very bright, continuous strip of warm light. Easy to hook up to DC voltage. Here's an example: http://dx.com/p/diy-2-88w-3500k-270lm-warm-white-light-cob-led-strip-yellow-dc12-14v-217505 but they have them in all kinds of sizes, voltages, wattages, etc. You would likely need to dial back the power as they would be too bright and hot at full power.

#25 6 years ago

I now have these available with unlighted keyboards for $65. I can leave the keyboard unattached upon request if you wish to add your own lights. These will start shipping early next week. I'll keep everyone updated.

#26 6 years ago

when is the second run happening these look awesome!

#27 6 years ago

Hopefully within the next week or two. I'm currently registering as a business to avoid anymore legal trouble down the road that could come from not being licensed to sell online. I'm safe with eBay for now, but even that won't last much longer. If anyone is still interested, I have eBay auctions up for the two variants that are still available. I'm not going to be selling through this site or any site other than eBay until I acquire a license.

#28 6 years ago

Does anyone have a pic of one of these installed?

#29 6 years ago

I think the OP is still working on the bracket.
I posted a couple of questions regarding this and the likely-hood of damage from airballs on his model vs the other mod with the larger piano roll that seems to protrude further to protect it from damage...think he took my post down?

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Buschjs:

I'm still trying to locate another TZ to do just that. This model is based off of an old one I made when I did have a TZ. The measurements are the same and I don't see any problems, but a picture of this installed will give many peace of mind which I can relate with. If anyone is local to my area with a TZ and would like to help, please contact me. I'll even throw in a free piano model.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Tkaye:

I think the OP is still working on the bracket.
I posted a couple of questions regarding this and the likely-hood of damage from airballs on his model vs the other mod with the larger piano roll that seems to protrude further to protect it from damage...think he took my post down?

I don't think I did. It might have been on another thread dealing with the production of the model. And yes, I'm still working on a proper bracket. ^_^ I have a temporary solution that will work for now. I'll send brackets out to those who have ordered when they're finished and I'm satisfied with the results.

#32 6 years ago

I have a new variant coming soon. This one will have white LEDs in the keyboard that can be connected to the games GI.

#33 6 years ago

Any other mods in the works you thinking about?

#34 6 years ago

Here's a picture of it mounted on a game of someone who is helping me. I don't have a TZ at the moment, so I can't take pictures using my photography equipment. I'm currently taking notes on how to improve for future runs and already have another CAD drawing completed. I'm currently lacking in the needed funds to get the new model produced. Hopefully, I'll have enough within the next few weeks.

IMG_6745.jpg

#35 6 years ago

is that clock suppose to be there

#36 6 years ago

Assuming those of us that already paid are getting the "old" model not waiting on the "new" one...

Honestly, I'm okay with the model as pictured above with the red/yellow lighted keyboard. Don't really want to wait a few weeks for a revised version, because I think it looks good as-is, and I'm about to have to take apart the clock anyways, would be a good time to install...

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Assuming those of us that already paid are getting the "old" model not waiting on the "new" one...
Honestly, I'm okay with the model as pictured above with the red/yellow lighted keyboard. Don't really want to wait a few weeks for a revised version, because I think it looks good as-is, and I'm about to have to take apart the clock anyways, would be a good time to install...

And that's perfectly fine. I'm just giving people options. The new model fixes the keyboard lighting issue (lights not being spread evenly along the keyboard. To be honest myself, I don't think it's even necessary for it to do that. I'm not seeing any issues where it doesn't look good the way it is once installed. The only thing I would advise doing is soldering the wires for the keyboard to the lamp socket tabs. The alligator clips, although they work, can be an eyesore.

I'm actively working on making improvements with the help of several pinside members, so I'm not giving everyone something "as is" and not attempting to fix things. Everyone who is unhappy with a purchase can work with me to have things fixed or replaced if necessary. If someone wants a refund, I will be more than happy to do so, but I would like a good reason so that the issue can be addressed for future runs.

I've yet to make a dime with this project and it's probably going to stay that way. My goal is to provide an actual pinball accessory and not a modified aftermarket item. I'm just hoping I can, at the very least, make the money back I put in. As things are going now, I'm not expecting that to happen anytime soon.

I may end up having to start a kickstarter project and see where that takes me. I ran out of my many months of savings just getting these first pieces made. I really can't do much else unless I manage to move all the pieces I already have made or raise enough funds through kickstarter. There's still much to be done...

#38 6 years ago

Oh, I'm gonna crimp molex connectors, lol. It's going to be plugged into the PIG2.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Oh, I'm gonna crimp molex connectors, lol. It's going to be plugged into the PIG2.

I completely forgot about that thing! I'm interested to see what can be done with it.

#40 6 years ago

I learned from doing my topper lighting on space shuttle that when I do any of these kinds of mods, I'm going to have a molex connector inline anyways to make it easy to disconnect from the wiring harness. There's a reason that all the manuf. have done it that way for 30 years for stuff on top of the playfield lol. It really helped with breaking the game down and making other repairs. I know a lot (most?) people here don't want to have to deal with crimping and stuffing molex connectors but man it just makes everything so much easier down the road!

#41 6 years ago

Here's the eBay link for the new listing: ebay.com link // Error: Image 118000 not found //

#42 6 years ago

Here's the eBay link for the new listing: Ebay link

Mine should be here any day... I bought big about a week ago.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Iamdarras:

Mine should be here any day... I bought big about a week ago.

Me too!

#44 6 years ago

Paid July 12th, still nothing in hand. Refund my money. I'm not waiting months on end for you to ship something out, like I did with the last person I bought something from on Pinside.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Paid July 12th, still nothing in hand. Refund my money. I'm not waiting months on end for you to ship something out, like I did with the last person I bought something from on Pinside.

I just got mine today, it took a lot longer then posted but its nice. Though I though I was getting the new version and sadly it is not. O well I like...

#46 6 years ago

Well, if he refunds my money like he said he would, then perhaps I will buy your old one once he gets done with the new ones. I was okay with the two-tone lights as they were pictured. I don't have time to wait on it right now, and need the money for another purchase.

#47 6 years ago

I much prefer the old way this mod was done where the original bulbs with condoms stick through the piano.

#48 6 years ago

I hate to say this, but BUYER BEWARE.

I bought a camera mod pinballsmith listed on eBay five months ago. Paid in full on March 1. Still nothing in hand and now I can't get any response to the pm's I've sent over the past few weeks.

It's too bad. Looks like pinballsmith makes high quality mods. But when he takes your money but refuses to ship, won't respond to pm's and doesn't answer your refund requests, it's hard to say anything other than avoid.

I hope the rest of you have better luck than I...

#49 6 years ago

That's too bad, I wanted one of these. Guess I'll stick with the traditional piano mod.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from wonderpuddle:

I hate to say this, but BUYER BEWARE.
I bought a camera mod pinballsmith listed on eBay five months ago. Paid in full on March 1. Still nothing in hand and now I can't get any response to the pm's I've sent over the past few weeks.
It's too bad. Looks like pinballsmith makes high quality mods. But when he takes your money but refuses to ship, won't respond to pm's and doesn't answer your refund requests, it's hard to say anything other than avoid.
I hope the rest of you have better luck than I...

It is because he had people pay for products that weren't made. He made a prototype then made ebay listings for purchase, but never had the upfront funds to manufacture any mods. He used the "pre-sales" as his bank-roll for the project prototypes which is wrong in my book. Also didn't tell people that they weren't going to get their purchase because it wasn't made yet. I was going to get a camera, but when found out that I backed out for obvious reasons. Hopefully the people that have paid for some of his mods will get them soon. I would avoid sending him more money for products until he actually has something in stock to sell.

On a same note, I did get a piano mod from pinballpro that is awesome!! Has a foam pad designed as the roller to protect from hard ball hits, and is made very well for a lower price!!

http://pinballpro.net/shop/twilight-zone-piano-tz-2/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Milford, CT
$ 16.00
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside