Topic Stats

• 278 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Invader
  • Topic is favorited by 39 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 202 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG950002.jpg
IMG_0142.jpg
IMG958497.jpg
IMG957527.jpg
IMG955423.jpg
IMG_6572.jpg
IMG954788.jpg
IMG_6926.jpg
IMG_4371.jpg
58593.jpg
IMG954831.jpg
pf populating 4.jpg
pf populating under 1.jpg
pf populating under 2.jpg
pf populating 3.jpg
pf populating under 3.jpg

There are 278 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 5 years ago

After spending the last 6 months collecting parts and debating a full resto on my own, I decided I wanted quality so today STI came and picked it up to take it up north.... Don't worry, this was just an initial packing, final packing was done by the STI guys after inspection. Hopefully it comes back with a case of spotted cow strapped to the pallet.

20140819_210029.jpg

Biggest decisions right now is whether to go black on trim & trails and whether to install the replacement GLM boards for optos and door panels. I'm sure once received and evaluated I'll have some other decisions to make.

#2 5 years ago

Don't forget about GLM's mini playfield switch kit!

http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/index.html?http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/tzmpskit2.html

I personally really dig the black trim and rails. I plan on doing it to mine at some point. I mean, look how freakin' sweet this looks!

tzb_26.sized.jpg
#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Don't forget about GLM's mini playfield switch kit!
http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/index.html?http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/tzmpskit2.html
I personally really dig the black trim and rails. I plan on doing it to mine at some point. I mean, look how freakin' sweet this looks!

oh trust me - I bought that kit back in October and it is on its way to Bryan right now!

I love this game: http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album491/1_G I usually go with stock plus some functional mods, but this one is nice enough to turn me.

#4 5 years ago

TZ is sexy with black trim! Definitely do it!

#5 5 years ago

The color coordinated start and extra ball buttons are a nice touch, too.

#6 5 years ago

Didn't know Burger King restored pins, but looking forward to pics!

#7 5 years ago

I'm not a fan of the black at all. I'd chrome it of leave it looking original.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

The color coordinated start and extra ball buttons are a nice touch, too.

Good call, will see if we can find those.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

After spending the last 6 months collecting parts and debating a full resto on my own, I decided I wanted quality so today STI came and picked it up to take it up north.... Don't worry, this was just an initial packing, final packing was done by the STI guys after inspection. Hopefully it comes back with a case of spotted cow strapped to the pallet.

Biggest decisions right now is whether to go black on trim & trails and whether to install the replacement GLM boards for optos and door panels. I'm sure once received and evaluated I'll have some other decisions to make.

20140819_210029.jpg 161 KB

You mean this stuff?

image-777.jpg
#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You mean this stuff?

You can keep the Honey Wheat crap, but I'll take all the New Glarus!

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

You can keep the Honey Wheat crap, but I'll take all the New Glarus!

It's only a 35 minute drive to Prescott WI. I'll pick you up some next time you stop.

And you better be nice to me, if you ever want to see that TZ again!!

#12 5 years ago

Here it is. All black trim and hardware, wireforms, apron ball guard, and.... the custom apron cards I made for that finishing touch.

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album576/36_G

#13 5 years ago

Nice btw!

Should be really sweet when its all done.

2 weeks later
#14 5 years ago

Got some progress pics today, no going back now!

before head.jpg before cab.jpg cab before 2.jpg Cabinet strip.jpg cab sanded.jpg Head Strip.jpg head glue removal.jpg head clean.jpg head clamp.jpg
#15 5 years ago

Well done sir! But I hope you don't get it back before your party on the 29th, mine plays fairly well, but it will probably feel a little lacking if you play it after playing a fully restored machine!

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from buffaloatx:

Well done sir! But I hope you don't get it back before your party on the 29th, mine plays fairly well, but it will probably feel a little lacking if you play it after playing a fully restored machine!

Oh, no way that's going to happen!

Hopefully your flippers got some love this weekend, otherwise I'm going to need to have you open it up to do some work...

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Hopefully your flippers got some love this weekend, otherwise I'm going to need to have you open it up to do some work...

Fair enough! I am always willing to pop the hood on a game.
Unfortunately I just found out today that TZ's flippers have gone softer than usual. I will do everything in my power to make sure they are crisp and strong before your party.
On a side note, I think I may have Indiana Jones running for your party (crossing fingers, knocking wood, and tossing salt over my shoulder).

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

WTF!! Party?? I didn't get an invite.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Only for people in the electrical business.

Update -
Part of the reason I chose to do this (overspend on a game in which I'll never recover my money) is the fun of the process. Bryan sends me pics all through with comments which I usually can't repeat. Here are few from the past day which go to show the details of the work he's doing.

Lock Down bar was previously removed poorly
Lock bar fix.jpg
Bottom of the cab was nasty and included some deep gouges
cab bottom after.jpg
Cab Split.jpg
cab split lock bar fix.jpg
I'll tumble 4 ya! (Bryan LOVES Culture Club)
New Stickers, matching the game

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Part of the reason I chose to do this (overspend on a game in which I'll never recover my money) is the fun of the process.

I'm giving my all time favorite pins high end restorations for my collection. I'm making sure each of them is an absolute grail though. To me that's a whole 6 pins out of all the pinball I've played. The ones I can trust to want to keep for the long term. The high end process is only worth it for long term enjoyment of a game. Twilight Zone is definitely 1 of the 6 for me

#21 5 years ago

Dude, that lower cabinet repair is hard core. I am in awe of the attention to detail, at this point.

You better be buried with that TZ.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from TrainH2o:

Dude, that lower cabinet repair is hard core. I am in awe of the attention to detail, at this point.
You better be buried with that TZ.

Its only money, but yes - It was a long decision to do this. I started by watching Bryan's IJ thread, then eventually paid a visit to him to see his process and work in person. I knew then I wanted him to do a pin and probably TZ, but I spent the next 8 months deciding.

#23 5 years ago

Restorers amaze me.

#24 5 years ago

Where did you get those sticker sheets?

I would love a set of the little serial number decals made for one of my machines

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

Where did you get those sticker sheets?
I would love a set of the little serial number decals made for one of my machines

A good friend of mine makes them for me. Sorry, but they're not for sale.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Its only money, but yes - It was a long decision to do this. I started by watching Bryan's IJ thread, then eventually paid a visit to him to see his process and work in person. I knew then I wanted him to do a pin and probably TZ, but I spent the next 8 months deciding.

Bryan sounds like a really, really great guy!!

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Bryan sounds like a really, really great guy!!

no, just highly skilled.

#28 5 years ago

There are truly no better restorers than Bryan Kelly. And I'm not just saying that because of the check he's sending me. I've seen them all, and would recommend Bryan over anyone.

You'll be very happy with the game.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

There are truly no better restorers than Bryan Kelly. And I'm not just saying that because of the check he's sending me. I've seen them all, and would recommend Bryan over anyone.
You'll be very happy with the game.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

Thanks, Rob, but I hate saying none better. That's just not true. There are others just as good, if not better. Chris Hutchins, Chad Keller and Jim Mccune come to mind. Having said that, I think Brandon will be happy.

#30 5 years ago

Check out the front of the cab - this is the 3rd round of bondo. If I had done this myself I would have put a pound of quick wood in , sanded, primered, and tried to decal all in the same night. I have no patience, skill, or interest in doing this good, but man I like it!

I'll post after pics when I get them. He's got a couple nice challenges remaining in this cabinet. I *almost* feel bad for the work he has to do to get it straight and nice.

front left bondo.jpg front right bondo.jpg
#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

A good friend of mine makes them for me. Sorry, but they're not for sale.

Well thanks for getting back to me anyway

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I'd invite you, but...
1. I'd probably have to put you to work somehow.
2. since we are in Austin, and you are not, BTW75 might just kill me a little bit if I took you away from his pretty restore!
But, if you ever take vacation and visit Austin, I'll gladly have a party in our Pinloft for you.
If you can drink Texas beers that is...

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Thanks, Rob, but I hate saying none better. That's just not true. There are others just as good, if not better. Chris Hutchins, Chad Keller and Jim Mccune come to mind. Having said that, I think Brandon will be happy.

I've given this a little thought and in my humble opinion I believe that Bryan Kelly is the best restorer out there.
Wally

#34 5 years ago

I love seeing this stuff.

#35 5 years ago

I kinda wish you had held onto the pics longer and started to release them nearer to the end. It's gonna be painful to wait as the beautiful pictures roll out slowly over the course of it.

Congrats, OP. I'm sure it will exceed everything you are hoping for and cheers to Bryan Kelly and the amazing work he does.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Now don't let your head get too big old man! I didn't say there wasn't anyone as good as you, I said there was none better, there are plenty as good as you.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#37 5 years ago

Some post-fix shots. He's started sanding, will finish sanding, bevel the edges (DETAIL!!!), and then prime.

Lock Down bar fix - inside
Lock Down bar fix - outside
NASTY on the inside. Lots of water damage which isn't all repairable.
Clean on the inside!
Sides of the cab were in better shape

I haven't gotten any updates in a couple hours. Can someone check on him? Maybe pick up some grain belt and deliver it? I'm not sure if he will need an IV or not.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

I'm giving my all time favorite pins high end restorations for my collection. I'm making sure each of them is an absolute grail though. To me that's a whole 6 pins out of all the pinball I've played. The ones I can trust to want to keep for the long term. The high end process is only worth it for long term enjoyment of a game. Twilight Zone is definitely 1 of the 6 for me

TZ is my favorite pin too. What are your other 5 grail pins?

#41 5 years ago

Thanks for sharing pics and this thread. I am really surprised the old bugger has a camera that takes good photos and you don't need to shake it to see it develop.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Thanks for sharing pics and this thread. I am really surprised the old bugger has a camera that takes good photos and you don't need to shake it to see it develop.

Note to self. No matter how badly the inside bottom is messed up, I will not take the easy way out and simply paint it black. I will instead, take the time to make it look as original as possible.

#43 5 years ago

LOL.

Great looking stuff here Bryan! I really enjoy seeing photos and learning from your work.

sincerely

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

LOL.
Great looking stuff here Bryan! I really enjoy seeing photos and learning from your work.
sincerely

More pics coming later. I need to get film for the camera.

#45 5 years ago

I have a great idea, why don't we get Bryan a webcam so we can get a live feed and watch him while he's restoring it, I bet he would LOVE that ........

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

why don't we get Bryan a webcam so we can get a live feed and watch him while he's restoring

Because no one wants to see Bryan scratch his balls.

#47 5 years ago

Thanks for posting the pictures-it's great to see how these kinds of restores are done, and I learned a lot from the IJ thread.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Because no one wants to see Bryan scratch his balls.

I heard that, asshole.

#49 5 years ago

What balls? He has traded off his nuts hundreds of times. I guess they grow back like that guys head in MIB.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Tinley Park, IL
There are 278 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside