(Topic ID: 31110)

TZ or TAF both at the same price. Which is the better machine & why?

By too-many-pins

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“TZ or TAF”

• TZ 54 votes
    65%
  • TAF 29 votes
    35%

(83 votes)

#1 11 years ago

I have located these two machines fairly close to home - both in about the same condition and both at about the same price. If you had to pick one which one would you buy and why?

#2 11 years ago

Taf bc I've already owned tz

#3 11 years ago

I prefer TAF, should never have sold mine....was minty too...I will own it again someday..

#4 11 years ago

LOL, I lean the other way, I own both and say TZ. Much deeper rule set, and shots are a bit more skill required then TAF. TAF is nice also but very easy to play. Also you can mod a TZ out to the max with all that is available for it.

However also take into consideration, family purposes especially with kids TAF is a better choice. Give him a package offer, buy both

#5 11 years ago

TZ bored me to tears so I sold it, although I am in the minority I think. TAF is simple but keeps me coming back again and again. With the recently made available color DMD and the gold ROMs, even better.

#6 11 years ago

I own both and prefer TZ. TZ seems to have more to do and taunts me more than TAF.

#7 11 years ago

TZ.... never got into TAF.

#8 11 years ago

I've had both. I sold TZ first then had a TAF. Then sold TAF and bought a TZ back and maxed it out with all the great mods which is fun to do. They I sold it and now I have a TAF coming back to me again. No good reason I like them both.

#9 11 years ago

If you get one,you must have both. I own both & Addams is the pin that got my love for pinball started. I now have both & would never sell either one.

#10 11 years ago

If this makes any sense here goes. I enjoy both games. I probably am more attached to TZ bec I like the old TV shows, own them all, and remember playing the game more in pool halls. TAF has some of the best quotes in pinball and has been more fun to play over the years bec I enjoy the great ramp shots it has to offer. TZ is a more in depth game for sure but I like hitting the shots in TAF more because I am a big ramp guy. All in all I debated about getting a TZ as my first pin but after playing it for three hours was not convinced and walked feeling 55/45 for getting it. Sure it’s a great game but to me it gets repetitive too much. If I had a big collection with the games I wanted I definitely would have TZ first instead of TAF. I know its weird write up but it just is how I feel at the moment.

#11 11 years ago

TZ is worth more. So if all is equal and price is the same, the Tz is a better value. I think Tz was similar in some ways to TAF but done better sort of a TAF 2.0. I've never liked TAF. I hate the theme and the song gets stuck in my head for hours afterwards. But I'll admit I've never given the game a fair chance.

#12 11 years ago

I faced the same choice in 1997 and went with the TZ. I still have the TZ and purchased a TAF about a year ago. The TAF is fun, but just not in the same league to me as the TZ. The TZ has a depth and attraction that the TAF can't match.

#13 11 years ago

Can't go wrong with either. Never owned TAF, but have played the snot out of it and would definitely own it if I ever found one for the right price (read: wouldn't pay more than $3750 for one, so I guess I'll never own one, lol).

But if I did own both, and had to choose which to keep I would definitely stick with TZ. For some reason that game for me has a lot more satisfying shots, strategy, and it just a lot more fun to play. And there is just something very pleasing about the way the lights strobe and the sound that goes along with the rocket shot across the playfield after a skill shot

#14 11 years ago

I own both and really enjoy both. Short answer is that you can't go wrong with either one. Markmon is right... the TZ usually commands a higher price, so if the price is the same, go with the TZ.

I "enjoy" playing Addams Family more, yet I play more on my TZ because it is more of a challenge. My wife loves Addams, won't touch TZ.

So decide if it is a game just for you, or for the entire family, and if the people who will be playing it enjoy being frustrated (er... challenged), or if they like it to be a bit lighter and fun.

Either way, like I said, you really can't go wrong.

Chris

#15 11 years ago

What kind of prices are we talking here, honestly if you can swing it, there is such a demand for both you could easily scrape some funds to get both of them; play them both, decide which you like best, sell the other one (probably for a slight profit if you get a deal on them).

#16 11 years ago

I like TAF better. Just my personal taste.

#17 11 years ago

Is it just me,but when I talk to people about my hobby for the first time a big portion of them say"do you have The Addams Family?" That might tell you something.

#18 11 years ago

TZ is better IMO, but not by much at all--TAF is an excellent game as well.

Why?

All subjective reasons mainly, too bad you evidently haven't had enough on each to make the call for yourself--because that's all that really matters in these decisions.

One thing that may or may not matter to you: TAF essentially has no ball save (unless you score 0 points)--whereas TZ has ball save for all balls on version 9.4H. Doesn't matter to me personally because the game offers numerous extra ball opportunities.

#19 11 years ago

Both are suppose to be really nice overall and they are asking over $4000 each for them. I know in today's market $4000+ isn't great or bad as far as price but if machines are as nice as they look in the pictures I think $4000 to $4500 is fair.

I really don't know for sure if we will go after either at this point but when I found them it got me thinking about which I would want if I could only buy one of the two. So I figured I would post the question and see what everyone had to say about it.

THANKS!

#20 11 years ago

At the same price TZ, it has so many more features, Is a wide body, has a 2nd upper playfield, and is the #1 pinball for a reason. It is also newer and there were less of them made. TZ seems to be alot more durable as well, alot of Addams Familys have wear and are really beat up. That being said if the Addams Family, which I do like a lot (just not as much as TZ) is in great shape and plays well it might be worth considering. Also if its a game for the whole "family" Addams Family might be a better choice. I do like thing and when the game flips the flippers on it own; maybe you should get both

#21 11 years ago

As an I investment TZ as a pinball machine to play in my house TAF.

#22 11 years ago

For $4000 to $4500 for each, I would definitely grab at least one or both. I paid $4500 for my TAF which was in pretty nice (though not collector) shape. Paid $4800 for my TZ which was the same. I had to search for quite a few months to find a TZ in the shape I wanted for the price I wanted.

If they are anywhere near the mid-Atlantic region, let me know... I will go pick up one or both if you don't want them!

#23 11 years ago

Thing hand gets old real fast.

#24 11 years ago

Both classics TAF my favourite. Tz harder and shorter ball times for me

#25 11 years ago

Owned both, but got back a mint TZ. Addams I got bored with very quickly. Never liked that three mansion modes just awarded points. Completion of the modes on TAF happened too often for me, but LITZ doesn't happen for me very often at all. TZ more challenging, but Addams has a great theme.

#26 11 years ago

I have owned both since I started collecting, and neither will leave. They are both machine gods. They are both close in rules though, as TZ was built off the success of TAF, and TAF to some extent off FH.

With TZ, there is more to do, and the gameplay is more chess like. TAF is just flat out fun, especially if you are one to keep the volume high, which I am. The light show combined with the music and sounds are the best package. Both, much like all Lawlor b/w machines, have wickedly difficult MBs, and the combination of short and long shots really eat balls in MB play if you miss a long shot.

If I had to choose only one machine, it will always be TAF above anything else, which has been the case for me since 1992. Every time I play it I am reminded time and time again as to why I LOVE this machine and why it will always be my favorite.

Grab both if you can.

#27 11 years ago

To answer your question... TZ is better. However, I much prefer playing TAF and suggest buying it. Could play TAF all day long and will never get old. It is a great integration of theme - music, art, toys, rules, lights and magnets. TZ has tons of toys and lots of unique features, but playing it feels more like work. A bad day on TAF is still a good day, while a bad day on TZ is just plain maddening.

#28 11 years ago

I have both TZ and TAF as well. TZ was my first game and the one I remember playing the most when I was younger. I also played TAF, but not as much. I've had TZ almost nine years and TAF for about 1.5 years. I play the TAF all the time, but TZ only occasionally gets played. If I could only keep one, TAF would stay.

#29 11 years ago

HMMMMM thats a tough one. I also have both TZ and TAF. I remember playing both games a lot as a kid in the early '90's. I also find TAF a much easier game the TZ but I REALLY enjoy playing it a lot. I have a friend that also has an Addams Family and when I'm over at his place we enjoy playing 2 player on his and when he's at my place we enjoy playing 2 player on mine! Especially now that we each have colorDMD's installed on our TAF. I think both games benefit from louder volumes as to me it adds A LOT to the playing experience. In the end they are both GREAT pinball players and crowd pleasers and it is a no lose situation with either of these if you can only have one.

#30 11 years ago

I too own both... "if" they were priced the same and in the same condition; I would snag the TZ. I also feel the TZ is a little higher in value.

If they were priced low... I would buy both. They're both awesome pins!

#31 11 years ago

I think TAF is generally more fun to play and is more accessible to all levels of players, but TZ is the more challenging game and has more depth and requires more strategy when playing. I think it's easier to put up consistently good games on TAF than it is on TZ. I love both games but own a TZ and prefer the game to TAF because I am a glutton for punishment

#32 11 years ago

Have owned both. Sold TAF. TAF just turns into a game or ramp, chair, ramp, chair, ramp, chair if you are playing for score. Once you get those shots down on yours, it becomes rather dull.

#33 11 years ago

Both are good. TZ is more expensive in France, so if both were at the same price, I would pick TZ, even if I do not love it. May be owning it is actually the way to understand it.

#34 11 years ago

TAF. It's just perfect.

#35 11 years ago

Tz ! Better toys , shots , deeper.
Love taf too! But tZ

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 22.50
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 79.50
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-or-taf-both-at-the-same-price-which-is-the-better-machine-why and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.