Topic poll

“TZ or STTNG”

• STTNG 40 votes
    38%
  • TZ 66 votes
    62%

(106 votes)

#1 11 years ago

I own a TZ and my friend owns a STTNG, and to me they're both deep and addicting games. I'd have to pick TZ because I own one and I know it much better, but I know many people would flat down disagree. Opinions?

#2 11 years ago

I'm on the fence.. both are great games

#3 11 years ago

I own both, and I play TZ more often. Both are great in their own way.

#4 11 years ago

I own both and have logged more games on tz. Can't go wrong here though.

#5 11 years ago

I own both - my play is probably more to STTNG, both are great.

TZ seems like a chore.

#6 11 years ago

tz i play way more than sttng. sttng is fun but i play tz 10 to 1 . either is a great home machine.

#7 11 years ago

I have both of these and its very close for me but, I have to give the nod to STTNG. I have no plans of parting with either of them.

#8 11 years ago

TZ..all time favorite,if you could only have one,desert island pin. Scott

#9 11 years ago

I have both, and both are great games. I have to give my nod to TZ though.

#10 11 years ago

TZ for me.

#11 11 years ago

I find that TZ and STTNG really complement each other in terms of playing style and notice that there seem to be a number of people that have both. Am I the only one that feels that way?

BTW ... I prefer STTNG, but probably because TZ tends to kick my butt. STTNG feels a little more exciting and a little less work to play.

#12 11 years ago

100% for STTNG...... I love that game (even though I am not a Trek fan). Wish I had mine back (someday). As much as I wish I liked TZ (I like TZ the show), I don't like the game. I did buy it for my Nexus Tablet for $3.99 which was spending enough (I also bought STTNG for the tablet that just came out too)

#13 11 years ago

I totally agree with you statsdoc, they do compliment each other. And maybe if I and other people owned both of them our opinions would be different.

#14 11 years ago

While I love TZ I just couldn't keep it around long term. Only had STTNG for a few months now but loving it. If you can get a good deal STTNG is better bang for the buck but if you find a cheap TZ it probably is the best bet,

#15 11 years ago

I don't know how to answer this. I own both and I've certainly been playing TZ more, but I really appreciate STTNG.

From a layout, shots, and rules perspective, I give the nod to STTNG. I really enjoy how the rules make use of the shots.

From an entire integrated pinball experience perspective, I give the nod to TZ. It comes together as a great package from art, sound, toys, callouts, light effects, etc. Not that STTNG isn't a great package and doesn't have awesome toys (cannons, Borg ship) and lights, I just think the sum of TZ's parts adds a little better.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Oliva:

I own a TZ and my friend owns a STTNG, and to me they're both deep and addicting games. I'd have to pick TZ because I own one and I know it much better, but I know many people would flat down disagree. Opinions?

Both are amazing, but I think STTNG has the edge. I voted with my wallet. That said, I would love a TZ. I highly doubt will ever see anything close to these two games in a pin ever again.

#17 11 years ago

That's a tough call! I own both and they are my 2 favorite WPC games bar none. I'd probably give the slight edge to STTNG just because of how cohesive (and immersive) the theme is. I'm not even a Star Trek fan but the game really draws you in and makes great use of the sound effects (DCS Sound!) and voice clips and also has a great rule-set for it's time.-I love that you collect artifacts for completing modes which are used towards Final Frontier which is a better Wizard mode finally than LITZ. The game also plays "smooth as butter" when you are able to hit all of your shots.

TZ is also a great game but the rule-set can feel kind of dis-jointed compared to STTNG. The theme integration is also great on TZ, and the artwork is better than STTNG but the sound clips and music aren't as clear since it's not a DCS game. TZ has such an ingenious design and some of the coolest toys to ever grace a pinball machine. The games do provide a great contrast to one another and I'd highly recommend either one!

#18 11 years ago

Own both, love both, give a little edge to TZ.

#19 11 years ago

great games. But if both were in front of me and i had a choice of one or the other, it's definitely TZ. Deeper ruleset, better shots, great theme (though if I were a trekkie maybe that would change).

#20 11 years ago

I still own STTNG, and owned TZ. When I break it down:

better shots--sttng
better modes--sttng by a landslide
better wizard mode--sttng
better sound/presentation--sttng
better 'toys'--tz
better overall ruleset--sttng. It doesn't have stacking (although the timers are so short in TZ that it's really hard to stack anything anyways) but all the extra things you can do (neutral zone missions, warp 9, shuttle missions, etc) make it better. Plus you get rewards for completing modes.
better theme--I think most would say TZ
better game for me--sttng by quite a bit

The problem I had with TZ after a while is that the modes are all rather bland and somewhat shallow, making the journey to LITZ kind of chore after you're able to make it there regularly. STTNG has a lot more replay value to me as every time you make it to the final frontier it's different, as you have to complete missions or otherwise the FF is worthless. The artifacts are the key thing that make STTNG have long term playability.

#21 11 years ago

Totally agree with Taylor34's comments on this one. Total package goes to STTNG. Anyone that's truly into pinball has or has owned a TZ. That said, if had to choose between the two I'd choose STTNG as I can play TZ virtually anywhere I go.

#22 11 years ago

TZ hands down.

#23 11 years ago

TZ, and it's not even close for me.

The modes are so much better in Twilight Zone and it just has better shots overall.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

TZ, and it's not even close for me.
The modes are so much better in Twilight Zone and it just has better shots overall.

The modes are better? Are you sure? There are more 'doors' but 1/2 of them aren't even modes. Here they are:

ST:TNG
7 modes
q's challenge--no time limit, only limit is your skill in hitting random shots. Can be worth big points
search the galaxy--40 seconds, 3 shots. hitting them in order gets you a chance at a 2nd artifact (which is accidentally doubled)
asteroids--7 different shots lit at the amount of the first asteroid
worm hole--one hard shot with other shots adding to it's score
battle sim--6 cannon shots to get an artifact and extra ball
time warp--can rack up quite a bit with 7 different shots, can increase score of shots and extend time
rescue--hit switches and ramps to rescue people. Switch frenzy with additional ramps to collect basically

tz
14 doors total

7 doors aren't modes
10 million--no strategy
light extra ball--no strategy
super skill shot--no strategy
hitchhiker--no strategy
camera--no strategy
light battle the power--no strategy
light gumball--no strategy

7 doors which are modes:
the spiral--hit the right loop multiple times
super slot--hit the slot machine multiple times
clock millions--hit the clock multiple times
greed--hit the greed targets
fast lock--hit the ball lock
clock chaos--hit the clock multiple times, can be worth a lot
town square madness--pop bumpers for bigger points

So in TZ you have 4 modes which are hit the same shot over and over again, 1 switch frenzy, one target mode, and one 'fast lock' which is only a quasi mode to begin with. There is a no way that is superior to the shot variety and rewards that you get from the sttng modes. It's not even close.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

The modes are better? Are you sure? There are more 'doors' but
q's challenge--no time limit, only limit is your skill in hitting random shots. Can be worth big points

Since Q doesn't time out, a great strategy is to start it right before a multi-ball. Huge point potential!

I agree that the modes are much better in STTNG than TZ. STTNG also has the 3 Neutral zone modes (Ferengi, Romulan, Cardassian), Warp Factor 9 (awesome!), and 2 video modes.

TZ's modes in comparison are pretty basic.-My favorite of which is Fast Lock because it plays the theme music of Lawlor's previous titles and starts a multi-ball. The best part of TZ is the ability to stack modes and the great toys (powerfield, gumball machine,powerball, etc.) It's just a really cool overall package!

#26 11 years ago

I cannot vote either way, when in doubt one should own both of these. I own STTNG, it will never leave, I WILL own a TZ some day. Both KILLER games!

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from tilt-master:

I cannot vote either way, when in doubt one should own both of these. I own STTNG, it will never leave, I WILL own a TZ some day. Both KILLER games!

That's another valid opinion, thay're both great games and me personally would be very happy with either one because they both have great staying power for a collection.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

So in TZ you have 4 modes which are hit the same shot over and over again, 1 switch frenzy, one target mode, and one 'fast lock' which is only a quasi mode to begin with. There is a no way that is superior to the shot variety and rewards that you get from the sttng modes. It's not even close.

The majority of modes in STTNG are "hit the lighted shots" modes. Most of them are the same shots.

See, I can do it too!

The other way in which TZ wins is the additional non-mode based shots. The camera is a satisfying one to hit, and it really can change the game based on the awards you're scoring. Spiral awards are great, the shot to collect town square or dead end, the jackpots vary in the various multiballs, the gumball light and load combo shot, etc. There are just better shots on TZ overall. Lots more fun to be had outside of just the modes. STTNG isn't quite as strong in that regard.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The majority of modes in STTNG are "hit the lighted shots" modes. Most of them are the same shots.
See, I can do it too!

I'm not quite sure what you did, lol. Every mode on every game is hit a certain shot(s). I'm not sure how you can argue from any standpoint that the base modes themselves are better on TZ. Other aspects of the game definitely, but the modes? They're by far the weakest part of the game. If it had better modes I may have kept it quite a bit longer. None of the modes have the shot variety, the choreography, the reward (artifact), and even completion (you can complete most of the sttng modes). IJ and sttng have some of the best modes in pinball.

As far as the second part, you may be right on that. STTNG has quite a bit there but I don't know if it's as good as TZ. STTNG has warp 9.9 mode + warp awards(super spinner, hurry up), ferengi multiball with add a ball and variable jackpot, cardasian multiball with variable jackpot, romulan mode, poker with riker video mode, shuttle video mode, right ramp shuttles for extra ball, explosive million combos off the ramps, etc. But I'm not sure if it all adds up to what TZ has.

The biggest advantage I think sttng has over tz is the fact that the modes count for something (as I mentioned above). If you suck at the modes it doesn't matter if you get to the FF, it isn't going to be worth squat. It's the stockpiling and earning of artifacts that makes the replay value so high.

#30 11 years ago

Star Trek the Next Generation for sure , besides being the greatest game ever made it also flows much better than Twilight Zone .

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Star Trek The Next Generation for sure , besides being the greatest game ever made it also flows much better than Twilight Zone .

For some people flow is very important, and if that is your case I can see why you like STTNG since it's a Steve Ritchie game. But some people like tons of modes and more discontinued shots, which is Pat Lawler's style. I like both of the styles which is why my decision was a close one.

#32 11 years ago

Yep Flow is very important , But it looks as though you have a Twilight Zone so the choice should be easy Get a Star Trek The Next Generation . Then you'll have the best of both worlds Flow and excitement , and stop and go boring.

#33 11 years ago

STTNG has the perfect balance of features, rules, and flow. TZ lacks flow and that's why it sits slightly below STTNG for me. If TZ had great flow, it would get my vote.

#34 11 years ago

TZ has been in my collection since 95.
ST-TNG has been in and out of my collection of 20 pins, 3 times during that same time. It's presently out.
TZ for me is hands down the favorite.

#35 11 years ago

And I guess on a mod standpoint TZ has way more mods than STTNG, and almost every game in fact.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Oliva:

And I guess on a mod standpoint TZ has way more mods than STTNG, and almost every game in fact.

Yes...which is kind of a minus, not a plus. That's "wasted" money that could be spent on another machine.

#37 11 years ago

Agreed, I was just trying to find another aspect for comparison.

#38 11 years ago

I like TZ better, but love both.

#39 11 years ago

+1 on that, I like TZ just a bit more, but a I love them both. Both top 5 games on my list.

#41 11 years ago

TZ by a lot

#42 11 years ago

One thing I definitely have to give a nod to on STTNG is the twin cannons, those things are awesome! They're used great as ways in multiball to get jackpots and add-a-balls.

#43 11 years ago

I love TZ.. It's hands down the best pin ever made

#44 11 years ago

I have owned both machines and have sold both machines. I would not consider repurchasing either one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 63.95
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 14.95
$ 79.50
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 12.95
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 132.00
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-or-sttng and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.