View topic image gallery

TZ6.jpg
TZ5.jpg
TZ4.jpg
TZ3.jpg
TZ2.jpg
TZ1.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Okay all it seems as an opportunity to add a second pin (TZ) has landed on my lap. I have been trying to save up and really hesitant to add a pin. No mods that I can tell on this TZ and playfield, plastics, and cabs seem to be in good condition.

I have not been able to get into TZ as much as some others. I don't know if it is a lack of time spent on it or what. Although I haven't been able to get into playing TZ this deal seems to have found its way to me.

My question is how much should I spend on it if I want to make sure I can get it back pretty quickly if I don't like it and decide to sell it? And if I haven't loved playing it so far should I even consider picking it up? Here are some pictures hoping to get a little direction from you all:

TZ1.jpgTZ1.jpg TZ2.jpgTZ2.jpg TZ3.jpgTZ3.jpg

#3 12 years ago

I owned it and sold it. I just for one back and I'm keeping it!

#4 12 years ago

I could not get into TZ and have passed up many to buy. I keep buying pins with flow. I read a lot TZ is all stop and go. Two weeks ago I had a chance to buy another one. So this time I bought it. To me it has flow and I don't know why I waited so long to buy one. You have to play and read the rules it is a great pin and it fits nice next to my flow games. I would say buy it. If you don't like it you will not have trouble selling it. I would guess $2800-3500 more on the low end if it needs shopped.

#5 12 years ago

By the pics it needs a good shop job and touch up on the coin door. How much are they asking?

#6 12 years ago

I'm not trying to be a Walter here, but if you're in a position where you think you might have to sell quickly, maybe you shouldn't be buying it? That being said, I think $3000 is 100% safe to be able to resell within a few days time. $3500 a couple weeks??

#7 12 years ago

Buy it, if it's going for a decent rate.

If you don't like it, spit polish it and trade it for just about any that you DO like.

#8 12 years ago

don't forget about the upgrades. shopping it is fun but the clear ramps, new led/clock, robots, new slot scoop, backboard decal, leds, speaker/subwoofer, can add up fast.

I would still buy it (I did).

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

I would guess $2800-3500 more on the low end if it needs shopped.

I am thinking I can get it on the lower end of that estimate tat. Anything in particular I should check for if I go down and take a look in person?

#10 12 years ago

Check clock mine was broken and had errors,check that is recognizes the power ball switch 26 mine was broken and missing the power ball. Check for other errors,wear at the scoop hole. Check for fade. It is a fun pin I passed it up so many times. I am glad I gave it a chance.

#11 12 years ago

T_D_A check for clock errors. The clock board may be toast. Easily fixed. It's a great game once you get to know it. I won't be selling mine anytime soon.

#12 12 years ago

Probably my favorite all around game. I've owned a good number of machines and played countless others. Twilight Zone is still the one I'd drag to a desert island with me.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

nd if I haven't loved playing it so far should I even consider picking it up?

That is the question. I love the game but I have owned it twice and when I had it at home didn't play it so it had to go. Buy it and don't bother modding until your sure you will keep it I say.

#14 12 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. I think I will be taking a look at it this weekend if still available. I am so darn indecisive it really does not help out with the collection if you know what I mean.

#15 12 years ago

Definitely one of my favorites, if not the favorite. A game I always go back to, but I'm loving all deep rule set pins as of late.

#16 12 years ago

There are few games that you shouldn't have to ask "should I get this".

The definitive answer to your question is that it is a very easy game to sell.

#17 12 years ago

If it's priced in the low end of $2800-3500 it will be gone by the weekend, dude.

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

There are few games that you shouldn't have to ask "should I get this".

That's, just, like your opinion, man.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

That's what you were asking for.

I was just joking around in my response. I do appreciate the responses this is a no drama thread.

Quoted from davewtf:

If it's priced in the low end of $2800-3500 it will be gone by the weekend, dude.

This ones not advertised and the seller is only talking to me currently. That's why I said it seems like the pin found me. But I know what you mean I just can't get it til this weekend seller prefers that as well. And if it is gone it wasn't meant to be I am not one to dwell on things.

#19 12 years ago

Just go get it. You won't be disappointed .

#20 12 years ago

That's, just, like your opinion, man.

That's what you were asking for.

#21 12 years ago

Anything in particular I should check for if I go down and take a look in person?

1. The number one thing to check on a TZ is if the game resets while playing. If it resets, it could literally be one of about 20 problems you'll have to rule out one by one.

The fail-safe way to test it is during multiball: press and hold both flippers simultaneously. Some games will reset while not even in multiball: as soon as you've plunged the first ball and it's sitting in the shooter lane. (Multiball is your fail safe test however as it consumes the most voltage.)

2. Test the clock in Test Mode and make sure the optos are telling the correct time on the clock. The original boards can be tricky to fix and the aftermarket boards sometimes have issues of their own.

3. Those two are the biggest items, after that it's just all the usual stuff: cabinet fade (reds and yellows), PF wear (ball drops, inserts), burnt IDC connectors in the backbox, burnt PCBs, scratched translite, planking, etc.

4. Also do the gumball machine test in Test Mode to make sure it's working right.

NM

#22 12 years ago

I'd say JUMP. I think that TZ will start going up in value as they age and we see less NICE examples out there. It is an EXCELLENT pin. I love mine. Just gathering parts myself to get it up to my standards.

#23 12 years ago

If you can't find anything majorly wrong with it, i say buy it all day long if it's in the $3K range. I'm trying to buy one right now that's priced higher than that but the seller is always unavailable, or so he says.

Good luck with it, el duderino!

#24 12 years ago

Dibs if you dont want it! No, seriously....Dibs....

#25 12 years ago

TZ is one of the best. Pure pinball at it's finest. I agree about the clock. if it hasn't been rebuilt it will need it.
The trough proximity sensor can also be a problamatic issue but it's an easy fix...i soldered the wires directly to avoid the connectors and never had a problem again.

Some of the GI strings are overloaded and can overheat when the bulbs get old...changing to led's or new bulbs can solves this issue. Because of this TZ usually has burnt connectors.

I feel TZ is one of the most complex games with the ball traveling under the playfield in subways and a six ball multi, magnets and plenty of game modes, 4 flippers with great cross shots both left and right.

TZ was a machine before it's time.

#26 12 years ago
Quoted from wesperron:

TZ was a machine before it's time.

As were all Lawlor.

#27 12 years ago

great game that never gets old. a cornerstone to any decent collection for the discerning hobbyist or serious collector in the family

dude i hope you pull the trigger, you won't be sorry.

#28 12 years ago

Good game but I got tired of it after a while. I prefer IJ, & even Shadow over TZ & Shadow will cost you about half of what TZ will run you. It is definitely one of the all time classics but way too much stop & go.

#29 12 years ago

Bit bummed out today! It was not playing and would reset even without the flippers being hit and there were more than a couple spots of concern on the playfield so I had to let it pass. I just don't have the time to put into a project pin right now. Well the search continues I really thought this one may work out even cleared a spot in the garage, but what can you do?

Thanks for all the responses they were much appreciated!

#30 12 years ago

It was not playing and would reset even without the flippers being hit

Bridge rectifiers almost for sure. Mine did the same kind of behaviour. Turned out to be cracked solder joints on one of the BRs.

Hope you find the right one someday TDA.

#31 12 years ago

sounds like a perfect low ball offer opportunity to me. Let it sit in the garage calling your name till your ready.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-or-not-to-tz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.