• Dialed In 47 votes
    42%
  • Monster Bash 20 votes
    18%
  • none of the above 8 votes
    7%

(113 votes)

#1 4 years ago

I'm looking to add one of these to round out my collection and I value every pinsider's opinion so lets hear it. Which one and why?

#2 4 years ago

DI is a great combo of the two styles. TZ very stop and go, MB more flowy. DI is a nice combo of the two. MB has the best music though

#3 4 years ago

I mean I'd guess I'd say DI since you don't have a JJP and that would round it out.

#4 4 years ago

MB is like MM.. So i would say TZ or DI. both games are stop and go. I love both but DI would be a deeper game. then TZ

#5 4 years ago

DI... as DI grabs more than few TZ ideas (+ TAF... really makes me thinking of a mix of these 2)

#6 4 years ago

all great games, id pick di over the other 2. tz music gets old fast.

#7 4 years ago

I owned Dialed In for a little under a year and I'm going to have an unpopular opinion on it. Dialed in technically ticks all the boxes required to be a great game, but after the new pinball machine euphoria passed... I was never excited to play it.

It doesn't have the "one-more-game" feeling of TNA, it has a tongue-in-cheek style theme that gets old real quick, the rules (while more than sufficiently deep) don't have the needed mindfulness of Batman '66 or JJP POTC... It has good mixture of flow and stop/shoot but it's almost too balanced which makes it feel a little hum-drum to shoot over time. There is no question it has everything all great games should have but I think it's the kind of game that's fun to play on location, not the kind of game I want to own when something like JJP POTC exists.

Otherwise, I'd choose Twilight Zone. It's iconic, fun, beautiful, and with the reboot of the series coming soon by Jordan Peele and the sudden resurgence of pinball, it will fall well within the umbrella of the modern gaming/TV zeitgeist.

#8 4 years ago

I'd probably go TZ or DI. You already own a MM, and to me that checks a lot of the same boxes as MB.

#9 4 years ago

I vote TZ but DI would also be a good choice as you don't own any JJP games.

#10 4 years ago

I actually own MB & DI.

For me, DI > MB and it's not really close. It's mode heavy and if you don't complete them, you won't get a good score. I like tougher games.

My wife would say MB > DI. The game is more well-rounded and there is always something to hit. 6 monsters = 6 areas to shoot. The color-changing LEDs (not on the pro model) are outstanding.

And I like TZ, I've played it a lot, but it's so cluttered and full of stuff that I get annoyed by it.

Depends on your mindset, imo.

#11 4 years ago

Wow! Great collection already and awesome games to choose from. Im jealous!

I guess I would choose DI after looking through your collection. It is a different maker and a different style from what you currently have. I am a big believer in variety.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from flipordie:

MB is like MM.. So i would say TZ or DI. both games are stop and go. I love both but DI would be a deeper game. then TZ

This^^

I haven't played DI so I can’t comment on which is better between that or TZ. but definitely one of those 2 since you already have MM in your collection.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from dontpanicflip:

I owned Dialed In for a little under a year and I'm going to have an unpopular opinion on it. Dialed in technically ticks all the boxes required to be a great game, but after the new pinball machine euphoria passed... I was never excited to play it.
It doesn't have the "one-more-game" feeling of TNA, it has a tongue-in-cheek style theme that gets old real quick, the rules (while more than sufficiently deep) don't have the needed mindfulness of Batman '66 or JJP POTC... It has good mixture of flow and stop/shoot but it's almost too balanced which makes it feel a little hum-drum to shoot over time. There is no question it has everything all great games should have but I think it's the kind of game that's fun to play on location, not the kind of game I want to own when something like JJP POTC exists.

I love the shot geometry on DI. I hated the shot geometry on IMDN. Upper flipper shots on DI are fun and on IMDN they were always a chore, never fun. I know IMDN wasn't in the list, but I traded my IMDN Pre for a DILE and am having a lot of fun with DILE right now. Fun that I never had with IMDN.

I really like TZ, but it's dated. I would pick DI over TZ still. Never had much care for MB even if the music was cool.

Rob

#14 4 years ago

Dialed In is a masterpiece. i think it will be looked back on and people will wonder why they s*&^ on it over the theme...

#15 4 years ago

I've owned all of them. DILE is long gone and TZ will be the last to go. TZ is brilliant, and iconic, if you can find a good example. MB has the classic fan layout but is a lot of fun, depends on your tastes, not as deep or challenging as TZ or DI.

#16 4 years ago

All good options but I would go with DI. You can get one for several thousand less than what I paid which is a great game and great value.

Background, I own DI and MBr classic edition and love them both. MB is loads of fun but DI has more to offer in the long run at least for me.
TZ is a great game as well but that ship has sailed for me. The TZ price in good condition is more than what I want to pay. Plenty of of other titles I can feast on. My brother had a TZ and had problems with resets and some other things it wasn't playable most of the time I was at his house. He sold it for 7k. My neighbor has a great condition TZ so I can at least play his.

Good luck.

#17 4 years ago

Easily TZ.

#18 4 years ago

All of these are great games but if you are considering a JJP game or a widebody with a gimmick-packed playfield, why not have both with WOZ or JJPOTC? Both of them are better than any of these three, IMO.

#19 4 years ago

I have all 3. Agree with other posts that MB is a bit similar to MM which you already own.

For me it would be a tossup between DI and TZ. TZ is iconic, lots of stuff to do. A bit stop and go, but that's not a bad thing, just wouldn't want all of my pins to be like that. DI is smooth, nice shots, balanced, lots of fun. Some rag on the theme, but I think it's great. Can't go wrong with either of them.

#20 4 years ago

I own 4 of your 5 current pins and have owned DILE and MBr.

I would vote for something else. Dialed In was fun but not great. I don’t miss it. Not a fan of Monster Bash really. Owned it twice now. On location and does well. Will sell when ready to change it out. Had TZ at my hose for a little while and got to LITZ way too easily and I’m not a great player.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

I'm looking to add one of these to round out my collection.

Quoted from TheLaw:

I guess I'd say DI since you don't have a JJP and that would round it out.

I agree that DI would add balance to your collection. And that is how you phrased your question when requesting Pinside input.

But had you asked which of the three games we each like the best I would have put DI last out of the three.
The other two have long been established as all-time classics.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I agree that DI would add balance to your collection. And that is how you phrased your question when requesting Pinside input.

TZ would easily be #1 for me.

#23 4 years ago

TZ....next

(DI will not lose this poll, however)

#24 4 years ago

Man this is a hard one. I've dropped the MB from my list since all the post seem to convey that unanimously. So now I'm on the hunt for TZ or DI around my area. I don't really see these two come up for sale that often around here so it might be awhile till I find the one in a condition or the price I like.

Anyways thanks for the help fellas, the hunt continues......

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.95
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 22.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 79.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 14.95
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-or-di-or-mb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.