7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Picked up a TZ earlier this year and finally getting around to adding some things to it.

After looking at the mods out there, things i liked:

- Custom Backboard decal (and lights)

- Marbles and light for the gumball machine

- The switch kit from great lakes modular for the mini-pf

What is out there is pretty cool mod wise, but I found myself wanting to change too much to put my own stamp on it. So I've decided just to make them myself.

alot of it involves lighting. I happen to have a ton of spare WS2812 RGB LED's hanging around in several footprints (single light boards, reels of bare lights, reels of LED strips) mostly thanks to last years xmas lights project, lol.

the lights and logic will be powered by an Arduino (or most likely clone)

So for the backboard, I'm going to design my own art and I plan to 3D print a rail that attaches at the top, which will hold/hide a strip of RGB LED's. This will both light the back part of the PF in any color combo, it will also interact with other sections (switches on the mini-PF, and when the light gumball action starts)

For the gumball machine lights, I will probably create a simple circuit board (have a tone of spare copper clad from the same afore-mentioned xmas project) and then mount a handful of RGB LED's there. The idea being, ambient light when nothing is going on, light show when load gumball is lit. Combine this with adding the marbles and I think it will look pretty cool.

For the mini-PF, im not a big fan of the switches, or the light above it. I like that the great lakes modular kit gives you an extra set of switches. So i am thinking of making a plastic cover that goes over the edges of the PF that matches the general art (like @ the top) but would have some RGB LED's mounted underneath. These LED's would provide the light for that mini-PF, and then could react when the extra switch registers a hit during battle the power. I would then be able to remove the existing light. (unless there is more to it than simply lighting the mini-PF)

I have all the parts, now it just finding some time to get going.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 12.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-my-custom-lighting-and-backboard-project and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.