You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

60C23D35-D43E-40B9-BECB-269DF737FABD (resized).jpeg
C8 (resized).jpg
90AF14A4-BB99-4CAA-8C29-C3849F3C1487 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

So the switch matrix on my TZ has column 8 not working. The board looks great and does not have any visible battery damage, however, it did have a leaky battery when I acquired it 13 years ago. From reading prior threads I managed to diagnose it to the point that I have determined that I do not have continuity between U20 pin 11 and connector pin J206-9. So in between U20 and the connector we have a capacitor (C18) a resistor (R74) and the board trace. Where do I go from here? How can I determine which of these components is bad?

The capacitor is a 470pf and the resistor is a 1k ohm. Assuming these could be bad where would I find the correct ones to order? Anyone have a link to the exact parts? I am not super knowledgeable with respect to board repair but I have replaced a few blown transistors. When I search on the capacitors I find that they can have different power ratings 1W vs 2W. Which one would work?

I used zaza diagram and previous posts to get this far. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

90AF14A4-BB99-4CAA-8C29-C3849F3C1487 (resized).jpeg90AF14A4-BB99-4CAA-8C29-C3849F3C1487 (resized).jpeg
#2 2 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

So the switch matrix on my TZ has column 8 not working. The board looks great and does not have any visible battery damage, however, it did have a leaky battery when I acquired it 13 years ago. From reading prior threads I managed to diagnose it to the point that I have determined that I do not have continuity between U20 pin 11 and connector pin J206-9. So in between U20 and the connector we have a capacitor (C18) a resistor (R74) and the board trace. Where do I go from here? How can I determine which of these components is bad?
The capacitor is a 470pf and the resistor is a 1k ohm. Assuming these could be bad where would I find the correct ones to order? Anyone have a link to the exact parts? I am not super knowledgeable with respect to board repair but I have replaced a few blown transistors. When I search on the capacitors I find that they can have different power ratings 1W vs 2W. Which one would work?
I used zaza diagram and previous posts to get this far. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.[quoted image]

Greatplainselectronics.com

#3 2 years ago

Ok thx but now that I know where to buy the items how do I determine if the resistor or capacitor are bad?

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Ok thx but now that I know where to buy the items how do I determine if the resistor or capacitor are bad?

Have a nice multimeter?

Go to pinwiki.com and do some reading on troubleshooting.

#5 2 years ago

The parts might not be 'bad' - in fact they won't contribute to your no connection issue at all. The resistor is there to hold that input line high until it is triggered and the cap is just a bit of filtering and will have (most likely) zero effect in or out of circuit - ignore the cap but measure the resistor to make sure it's measuring 1K.

I suspect you have an open circuit track, possibly caused by the corrosion issue years back and finally greeting you.

I would run a jumper wire from P7 of U20 directly to P7 of J206 and see if it fixes your problem.

#6 2 years ago

Agreed with the jumper.
You can measure where the trace is broken, between U20-11 and R74/C18 or from R74/C18 to J206-9 and intstall jumper where needed.

C8 (resized).jpgC8 (resized).jpg

#7 2 years ago

Woohoo! Success! Thanks for all your help everyone. With your help I managed to figure out that the trace was broken between the C18 capacitor and the J206-9 pin. I soldered in a jumper wire and bingo - everything on column 8 works now. Thanks again.

#8 2 years ago

Glad you repaired the trace issue.

Though 2 reasons for trace being damaged.

1. U20 was changed and someone physically damaged a pad/trace removing the part. For the length of time it was sitting and sounds like no prior work was done since it was not mentioned, plus U20 in the original board would be soldered in if it hadn't been replaced.

2. Would be battery damage. Seems very likely since it sound like no prior work done and leaky battery was found 13 years ago. Battery damage is not always visible with crusty pieces that fall off when moving or touching the board. Battery damage does get into the traces and turns the traces/solder mask a different color and then spreads like cancer.

Please post a picture of the CPU board. Sounds very suspicious not to have battery damage.

#9 2 years ago

As requested, here is a picture of the MPU. I should have taken a picture of the back when I had it out. It is very very clean looking.

60C23D35-D43E-40B9-BECB-269DF737FABD (resized).jpeg60C23D35-D43E-40B9-BECB-269DF737FABD (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-mpu-repair-help?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.