5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Scotty_K
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scotty_k.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

So I recently removed my mini playfield to do some general maintenance and cleaning underneath. When I put the playfield back and powered it up, I noticed that the magnets weren't working properly. I lifted the playfield and noticed that I had mixed up the two similar sized molex connectors (why did they do that?). I put them in the correct positions and now, while the magnets now work, now the exit and top optos no longer work. I went into test mode and still can't activate them, although when I touch a DMM to them, I'll get them to test, but that's about it.

So my question is, did I fry my optos? I just want to make sure before I order new ones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#3 5 years ago

That's what I was afraid of. Oh well, live and learn...

Thanks for the lead on the PCBs; I've done business with Pinball Life before - great people to deal with.

I was wondering, I was also able to locate just the optos themselves, rather than the whole boards; I could just replace those, yes? Although, for the cost of the replacement PCBs, it just might be easier to go that route.

#5 5 years ago

All right then...

I will bow to your wisdom in these matters.

Once again, thanks for your help with this!

#7 5 years ago

Thanks for the info.

Actually, mine don't appear to have any burn marks on them, but being as both the PCBs and the optos are not that expensive, I'll probably go with both. This way I can practice my soldering skills, but have back-up PCBs just in case things go awry.

I'm going to order the parts tomorrow, and once I get them and do the surgery, I'll let you know how it turns out.

#8 5 years ago

Well, I received my parts for this today, so I went at it this afternoon.

Being as I had ordered both the complete PCBs and the transmitting and receiving optos themselves, I decided to come up with a specific approach. I started with replacing the transmitter opto on the existing PCB located at the mini playfield exit. After reinstalling, it still did not work. I then moved over to the corresponding receiver opto, replaced that on the PCB, and still no dice. I went back over to the transmitter side again, but this time installed the new complete PCB assembly, fired her up, and this time it worked.

Next, I moved to the top opto and repeated the procedure, starting once again with replacing the transmitting opto on the existing PCB. When this failed, this time I replaced the entire transmitting opto PCB, flipped on the power, and now that opto switch worked perfectly.

After this experience, I have determined that one of the following happened:

1) Both transmitting optos and their PCBs were fried when I mixed up the molex connectors, or
2) Both transmitting optos only were fried, and I damaged the PCBs when I was switching out the optos on those boards (a distinct possibility given my somewhat rudimentary soldering skills...but I am learning!).

Regardless, my TZ is now happy again. ForceFlow, I cannot thank you enough for your help and guidance through this. One of the many things I really like about Pinside is how everyone is willing to help everyone else when problems arise.

Once again, THANK YOU!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 132.00
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scotty_k.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-mini-playfield-opto-troubles?tu=scotty_k and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.