(Topic ID: 212104)

TZ: Mini playfield GI lamp not lighting

By icephyre

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Greetings from Australia, hoping for some advice for an amateur/hobby owner here,
On my Twilight Zone I can't get the two 555 globes in the overhead lamp above the mini playfield / powerfield to light up anymore.
I've checked the globes with an ohmmeter / new globes, no joy. The large flasher globe in the same lamp works just fine.
Tracing the wiring it looks like an orange and orange/white wire pair... i reseated the harness connector under the playfield... no joy,

Where to from here? I'm guessing i need to look to wherever the GI power comes from - would these two lamps have their own independent wiring and is that in the switch matrix or something like that?

All other GI is working just fine.

If i'm reading the manual right, these lamps are GI #02, on playfield J121-2 and backbox J-120-2 for voltage and J121-6 and J120-8 for drive, white-orange wiring... should i be looking to those locations for a broken connection? I know where J120 is in the backbox... should i be looking for a particular GI header under the playfield as well?

FWIW, my J120 GI IDC header in the backbox was all crispy so a few years ago i replaced it using crimped on trifurcon connectors.. but maybe i should check the #2 wire on the J120 in the backbox and make sure i didn't do a flaky job there?

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

thanks all!

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from icephyre:

Greetings from Australia, hoping for some advice for an amateur/hobby owner here,
On my Twilight Zone I can't get the two 555 globes in the overhead lamp above the mini playfield / powerfield to light up anymore.
I've checked the globes with an ohmmeter / new globes, no joy. The large flasher globe in the same lamp works just fine.
Tracing the wiring it looks like an orange and orange/white wire pair... i reseated the harness connector under the playfield... no joy,
Where to from here? I'm guessing i need to look to wherever the GI power comes from - would these two lamps have their own independent wiring and is that in the switch matrix or something like that?
All other GI is working just fine.
If i'm reading the manual right, these lamps are GI #02, on playfield J121-2 and backbox J-120-2 for voltage and J121-6 and J120-8 for drive, white-orange wiring... should i be looking to those locations for a broken connection? I know where J120 is in the backbox... should i be looking for a particular GI header under the playfield as well?
FWIW, my J120 GI IDC header in the backbox was all crispy so a few years ago i replaced it using crimped on trifurcon connectors.. but maybe i should check the #2 wire on the J120 in the backbox and make sure i didn't do a flaky job there?
Is there anything else I should be looking at?
thanks all!

If those lights really are GI (double check they aren’t in the lamp matrix, I don’t have a manual in front of me), then they should light if others on that same string are lit. I would double check the back box connector and your repinning job. That’s the most likely place

If that’s not it, work backwards on the two wires you identified and see if they join up with other wires somewhere under the play field, maybe you have a bad solder joint.

If you did check with the MM and there’s no power, you need to start with the back box and follow it through. My money’s on your crimping job maybe slipping and not making a good connection

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

10,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 12.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.95
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-mini-playfield-gi-lamp-not-lighting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.