Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Chet
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Working on restoring a banged up TZ. The Magnaflip sign is busted, so I'd like to replace it. Also have a couple other riveted sign I might like to put a protector on.

How do you remove a riveted sign like that, and how do you attach the replacement?

#2 9 years ago

I drilled mine out, and replaced it with tiny nuts and bolds.

#3 9 years ago

Drill out, re-rivet.

#4 9 years ago

I use a dremel w/ a cut-off wheel to remove the rivets, grinding off the flared end of the rivet., Once the flared end of the rivet is ground off, I drive the rivet out, using a small punch and hammer. I also keep a damp rag nearby to cool the rivets as I grind them off...especially if you plan on re-using the plastics. The rivets get hot when you grind them, so cool them off w/ the wet rag so you don't melt the plastics. This is really important if you're removing ramp flap...you don't want to melt the ramp.

The problem I see with drilling the rivets out is, sometimes, the drill bit will bite into the rivets, causing them to spin which, in turn, mars/melts the playfield plastics.

#5 9 years ago

Awesome, I can always use an an excuse to get a new tool. Makes it easier to convince the wife.

#6 8 years ago

Picked up Dremel yesterday, and Marco has a tool for replacing the rivets. Looks like a metal bar with a divet; you place the rivet in the divet and whack it with a hammer. Probably won't look quite as polished on the back side, but should look identical on the visible side.

#7 8 years ago

For plastic like signs, i use a very sharp drill bit by hand to cut away the flared side. After removing most of the flared part I carefully punch out the rivet as mentioned above. The rivets are brass so they are pretty easy to cut with the sharp drill bit by hand. Sometimes the tube part of the rivet will just fall out. Takes maybe 5 minutes and minimal risk to damaging or burning the plastic. I do the same on plastic ramps when replacing spring steel ramp flaps.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 12.95
9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1,059.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-magnaflip-and-other-riveted-signs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.