• Lord of The Rings 53 votes
    36%
  • Star Trek the Next Generation 33 votes
    23%

(146 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

imagesMT.jpeg

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I have my heart set on a LOTR or STTNG but I have the chance to pick up a collectors quality TZ with a bunch of mods for 5k. However I have never played TZ before. Is it a good game? Is it better than STTNG and LOTR? Or should I just wait for one of them to pop up instead.

Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

Really depends on the person. Of the 3 I like LOTR the best, but that doesn't mean you will for the price. All solid games. Good luck and enjoy!

#4 10 years ago

I MUCH prefer LOTR over TZ or STTNG. (And yes, I do enjoy several widebodies, but not these 2...)

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

CQ for 5K go get it.

Your right Sky...for CQ it would be worth it...if you don't like it you would have a chance to flip it for a profit.

#6 10 years ago

I would grab the TZ.
Can't stand LOTR but STTNG is a good pin.
Sold my Star Trek and kept TZ.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

CQ for 5K go get it.

What is CQ?

#8 10 years ago

I have both an lotr and a sttng...lotr will never leave. But I agree a cq tz for 5k, hard to pass that up..and like it was said, that you will be able to sell rather easily. In fact, if you were closer i would buy it when you get tired of it..and for a bit more.

#9 10 years ago

Collector's Quality

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Your right Sky...for CQ it would be worth it...if you don't like it you would have a chance to flip it for a profit.

Never mind, figured it out, Collector Quality.

#11 10 years ago

Bought a CQ TZ in 2011 and paid more than that.

#12 10 years ago

I'm a bit surprized that LOTR is beating out TZ in the polls.

#13 10 years ago

All 3 are great pins .Id get the TZ just due to price.

#14 10 years ago

Just sold my LOTR...just didn't do for me.

May sell my ST;TNG some time down the road.

My TZ is here to stay!

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

CQ for 5K go get it.

Ok, just found out it is not CQ, it excellent condition whatever the difference is.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Ok, just found out it is not CQ, it is excellent condition whatever the difference is.

#18 10 years ago

I have owned or own all three. all great games. at 5K, in that good shape, I would buy it. If you dont like it, it would be an easy flip. I guess the problem is that you still wouldnt have your LOTR or STTNG. but IMHO, you wouldnt be disappointed with theTZ. awesome game with plenty to do. I personally love my LOTR and it is never leaving my collection. Of those three I think its the better game...(now how someone says they "cant stand it (LOTR) is beyond me , especially when they like TZ and STTNG, with deep rules etc, that are similar to LOTR in that sense. Unless they just hate the movie, i guess.) Go with the TZ and you wont be disappointed.

#19 10 years ago

There are a lot of threads describing Collector Quality. If it fits the criteria IYO. than its worth every penny.

#20 10 years ago

Wow, you guys suck. Really? 0 votes out of 6 for TZ? How many that voted have actually owned all 3? I have, and in the last year to boot. I think it's a hard call between all of them. I'd gladly own STTNG and LOTR again....STTNG first..but I'm not going to sell TZ to do it, either, which has been my primary mode of getting new games. Hrm. =\

*Edit* And by the time I posted this it was at 16 5/6/5 LOL....

#21 10 years ago

I own all three of these for well over a year now, a difficult choice for certain. I really dont know which I'd part with. If you didn't already have a shot at a 5k CQ TZ, I'd say go with STTNG, my long term favorite.

#22 10 years ago

I've had all 3 for over a year now...LOTR leaves this coming Tuesday.

I've never cared for the flow of the LOTR....I like my POTC better than LOTR.

ST;TNG is pretty good...but plays like a wide body...a lot of open playfield.

TZ just has a lot more going on, and doesn't play like a wide body.

#23 10 years ago

all 3 are great games. there is no wrong answer imo but getting a really good tz would be my bet.
good luck, let us know what you choose.

#24 10 years ago

If I was choosing it'd be a race between Sttng and Lotr, with Lotr edging out the ST. I've owned 2 out of 3..I recommend you play all 3 for a good while. TZ bored me to tears and Sttng frustrated the hell out of me due to the side drains...also both of those pins require lot's of maintenance so if you're new to the hobby do yourself a favor and buy the newer pin.

#25 10 years ago

I really love lotr but they are impossible to get HUO. No one wants to sell theirs. I've never played TZ that is why I started this. But between the two I did play I have to say I liked STTNG more, probably because I'm a trekki. Now the poll results are split an even three ways, how am I suppose to make a decision from that? Are they all really that even?

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Sold my Star Trek and kept TZ.

I did just the opposite ... best decision for me even though the TZ had sentimental value.

STTNG was more engaging to me. It feels more like an adventure when playing and that makes it never get old.

Plus, there are few things more rewarding or exciting than chasing Warp 9.9. I have never gotten past Warp 9.8.

#27 10 years ago

I have had all three, sold STNG but TZ and LOTR are parked for life and going no where. My TZ is CQ and has been with me since 1998, and my LOTR was a HUO with less the 225 plays. These days you can still find a nice HUO LOTR as they do pop up, but TZ in CQ are becoming very hard to find. Tough call as they are both awesome machines, flow wise I say LOTR is a bit faster then TZ. You couldn't go wrong with either one of those two IMHO.

#28 10 years ago

what are they asking around your neck of the woods for a CQ lord of the rings ???
I know someone said earlier that the collectors don't want to let them go, but when they do come up what are they asking???

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

what are they asking around your neck of the woods for a CQ Lord of the Rings ???
I know someone said earlier that the collectors don't want to let them go, but when they do come up what are they asking???

$5,500 - $6,000

#30 10 years ago

More by me, 6,000 - 7,000

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

More by me, 6,000 - 7,000

Everything is more expensive in Alberta.

#32 10 years ago

Wow, if LOTR is going for that much there, then 5k for a nice TZ sounds like an even better deal than before. I agree that all three are good if not great games. TZ is just awesome, imho. It's rated the 1 or 2 game on every ratings board ever for good reason, but still isn't for quite everybody. LOTR is wildly different from TZ. Both have deep rules, but LOTR is a fast paced fan layout (of which there are many) and TZ is more intricate with lots of flippers and sideways action. I wouldn't rank STTNG quite up with these two, but there are a lot of fans here and it's a solid game.

Brian

#33 10 years ago

That's about the same here, Its been a goal of mine to get a real nice lotr . I didn't realize they would be that much, but I guess they are, its funny because rite now here TZ has dropped a fair bit in price and easy to get your hands on there at about 4.5k, but Im in the same situation as you I really got my heart on lotr and been saving hard and im nearly there. Just have to find the rite one at the rite price...I guess the good things cost money , but really wasn't expecting to pay that much!!!!

#34 10 years ago

I'd go with STTNG then LOTR.

#35 10 years ago

I have all three sitting at home at the moment. TZ and NG for past 5 years , LOTR for 1 year. All in excellent condition. My vote is all are great. Deepest rules inTZ, and the most going on (power ball, magnaflip). Hardest game is LOTr, and prettiest. Sound the best, especially when you use headphones. STTTNG is great fun, especially with the sound rom with the funny quotes. Cannons are cool (with the laser sites).
In all, each has its advantages, and none are bad machines. You would be happy with any one of them, or do like me and have all three!

#36 10 years ago

I will have all three one day!!

I've played all three in Virtual pinball and I've made my decision............. Star Trek the Next Generation.

STTNG I found myself playing the longest, was the most immersed in and was a big epic adventure (for me). Followed closely by TZ, then LOTR. Now I know virtual pinball is nothing like the real thing, but man Star track was fun, so much to do. And it probably doesn't help that I'm a trekki.

Thanks for all the help in my decision. Pinside rules!

#37 10 years ago

Great choice!!!!

#38 10 years ago

I can't stand ST or anything about it,but that's just me. All 3 are totally different but TZ is the most well rounded pin of all time in my book.

#39 10 years ago

TZ has it all

#40 10 years ago

TZ is good, but not as good as LOTR or STTNG in the long run. I find that TZ has good looks and novelty value, but cannot compete long term in gameplay when compared to LOTR or STTNG.

#41 10 years ago

Wow, as of my vote there are 86 votes, with 31 for TZ, 30 for LotR, and 25 for ST:TNG.

Can't say I'm too surprised, they are all great machines; I voted for TZ because I played it a lot back in the day and fell in love with it. I played ST:TNG some but found the quadrilateral kickers to make it a drain monster, and even though I'm a Tolkien fan I haven't had the chance to play LotR a lot.

#42 10 years ago

How do you vote for all three?

#43 10 years ago

Have all 3. One has to go to make room for others and it was an easy decision. Have an awesome TZ which is never leaving. LOTRLE is a great game and is also a keeper. Love the STTNG but of the three, it has to go.

#44 10 years ago

The only answer any self respecting pin-hoarder would give is "Why all of them, of course!"

Of all three though... TizzleZizzle always chizzles my nizzle.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I would grab the TZ.
Can't stand LOTR but STTNG is a good pin.

+1. Disclaimer - I own a TZ. Haven't owned the other two, but played them quite a bit- most recently LOTR being played last night.

#46 10 years ago

TZ, never understood the hype around it.
star trek, good game but not better than lotr
LOTR, best rull sheet outhere, great call out, best movie theme ever on a pin.

my choice, lotr... easily!

#47 10 years ago

Own all three. Voted for TZ. They are all great, but TZ just seems like the pinnacle of Lawlor and so (today at least) gets my vote (on a different day it would have been LOTR).

-Jim

#48 10 years ago

I love video modes. I don't like how TZ doesn't have a video mode.

#49 10 years ago

all 3 in my top 5

#50 10 years ago

Don't much care for any of them, but I guess I'd pick LOTR because it's not a widebody.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods
Toppers
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod
Decorations
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
10,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 39.50
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models
Plastics
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-lotr-or-sttng and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.