(Topic ID: 232352)

Tech: TZ Lock Opto Replacement FUBAR

By wxforecaster

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Got sick of having intermittent fake robot/lock shots registering on my TZ, so I bit the bullet and went through the pain-in-the-@$$ process of removing the lock opto assembly (including the right ramp, clock, etc.).

I soldered in 4 new optos.
On the emitter (light colored opto) side, it's easy as the flat side is silkscreened on the PCB, and goes toward the K. Grey wires soldered to the left "A" side, black to the "K" right side looking at the back.
On the receiver side (dark colored opto), the flat side/short leg goes with the "C" side. From the back, grey wires to the "C" side, and orange wires to the "E" side. Continuity tested.

When I connect back up the assembly and go into test mode (note: clock and right ramp not connected), the switches for both lock optos (and I think gumball entry as well?!?!?) trip and stay tripped until I remove the 3x2 6-pin molex connector. Interrupting the optos does nothing.

This seemed like such a simple task, and I've done opto replacements before. I feel like I'm missing something stupid/obvious, so am posting here for help.

#2 5 years ago

So with everything but the lock opto moles plugged in, the game checks out fine. I have the GLM 10 opto board. As soon as I plug that connector in, I have green lights on all the LEDs, but 4 of them are blinking. The 2 magnet optos on that same opto board connector stop working too.

Anyone see anything obvious? I dont get it.

Pics and video attached

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1q6SHGWZrWtojTU-AvkFmfpzSJpWQHnme

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 12.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-lock-opto-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.