Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So I got my TZ up and running recently, but two issues remain which I can't quite solve myself. I was hoping my fellow PinSiders could help me out.

1) When Battle the Power is engaged, the flippers still work. I was under the impression that they're meant to be "dead" until the ball goes down the mini playfield drain whereupon it crosses the opto that brings the flippers back to life. Any clues as to what might be wrong here? The mode works fine, it's just the flippers that are still active.

2) Big issue - "Gumball error check geneva switch". I was playing a while ago and I loaded the ball into the gumball machine, but nothing happened. I fired up test mode and tried to dispense a gumball, that's when I got the geneva switch thing on the DMD. Totally clueless as to what might be wrong here. I've done some digging on the problem, but I couldn't quite gather what the solution was (for example, one guy was saying his gumball worked fine in test mode, not the case for me).

Thanks in advance!

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

So I got my TZ up and running recently, but two issues remain which I can't quite solve myself. I was hoping my fellow PinSiders could help me out.
1) When Battle the Power is engaged, the flippers still work. I was under the impression that they're meant to be "dead" until the ball goes down the mini playfield drain whereupon it crosses the opto that brings the flippers back to life. Any clues as to what might be wrong here? The mode works fine, it's just the flippers that are still active.

You have a bad opto - likely the bottom one.
If either one of the optos (upper exit or lower exit) are bad, the game will NOT deactivate the flippers - so that the player doesn't have the ball drain and is unable to save them (becuase, you know, no flippers.)

Quoted from snowvictim:

2) Big issue - "Gumball error check geneva switch". I was playing a while ago and I loaded the ball into the gumball machine, but nothing happened. I fired up test mode and tried to dispense a gumball, that's when I got the geneva switch thing on the DMD. Totally clueless as to what might be wrong here. I've done some digging on the problem, but I couldn't quite gather what the solution was (for example, one guy was saying his gumball worked fine in test mode, not the case for me).
Thanks in advance!

Uh.. the solution should be to fix the switch.
In Gumball Test mode, the geneva switch should activate only once, at the end of a dispense. (It may stay on at the end, depending on where the motor stops. But if it does stay on, it should extinguish as soon as the next ball is dispensed from the gumball.) It should not stay active ALL the time, and it shouldn't NOT activate.

#3 6 years ago

Right, so should I remove the gumball machine and examine the switch (replace if bad/broken)?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

Right, so should I remove the gumball machine and examine the switch (replace if bad/broken)?

Check wires first. Removing the gumball is NOT an easy task, so check everything else first.

1 week later
#5 6 years ago

Sorry for not responding, unfortunately I was ill over the holidays. I checked the wires and everything seems fine. Any further suggestions? Should I remove the gumball machine and check the switch?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

Sorry for not responding, unfortunately I was ill over the holidays. I checked the wires and everything seems fine. Any further suggestions? Should I remove the gumball machine and check the switch?

I would put it into switch test, and see if you can activate the switch by pressing the actuator yourself. If you can't, then short the two switch terminals together. This will (1) Verify the switch is good, and (2) Verify wiring is good, too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 12.95
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-issues-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.