• 19 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by pinmike
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hey folks..

I only got 2 games in on my new TZ before i had to leave work.. the trough ball popper seems weak.. sometimes it takes 3-4 attempts to get it into the lane.. Idea's? I have done ZERO investigation so far so any type of leg up you can give me would help.

I read a REALLY old post on rgp about bent trough rails or something?

#2 11 years ago

Also is your power ball speckled? Mine is like an off white color and looks like a shooter marble.

I'll take pics of it tomorrow

#3 11 years ago

i got one. wasnt kicking ball up. someone before me greased the kicker and grease had dryed. making it stick, cleaned it good, works great!

#4 11 years ago

Clean tha powerball with mothers aluminum wheel polish. You will have to work a it but it will look new with some work.

#5 11 years ago

I'm going to check the popper/coil tomorrow. Wasn't sure if this was a normal
Occurrence.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

the trough ball popper seems weak

Take out the coil sleeve and clean that area/coil it's probably gunked up...Dont use grease!!

Quoted from Pinchroma:

Also is your power ball speckled? Mine is like an off white color and looks like a shooter marble.
I'll take pics of it tomorrow

That's normal on TZ, Just buy a new Powerball ebay has them and retailers sell them.The powerball changes color due to dirt/dust from going through the subways.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from biglaw:

i got one wasnt kicking ball up someone before me greased the kicker and grease had dryed making it stick cleaned it good works great.

With a little punctuation, this is the winner. The elbow of these pre-opto trough kickers gets caked. Take it apart, clean with N2, and you're good.

#8 11 years ago

Perfect. I'll give it a good cleaning. Other than that the thing is 100%. Needs some led's though in strategic locations.

#9 11 years ago

Alex:

Clean the metal surfaces the balls touch. Check the tightness of all the bolts holding the trough to the playfield, the horizontal and vertical sections of the trough together, the screws that hold the kicker coil to the bracket. Clean the coil sleeve and plunger with alchohol. If everything is sound, it maybe that the deflector at the top of the assembly got closed a bit. Gently open it until the ball clears. Check the edges of the top of the trough assembly that the ball touches and file any rough edges smooth. Check the level and pitch of he playfield.

Re the powerball, get some metal cleaner like blue magic, and keep cleaning the same spot until see the white. It takes a while, but you can clean all the stains off the ball.

Dan

#10 11 years ago

Thanks Dan! I'll check each and every item. Hopefully it's something simple. Worst case scenario it's a crappy coil but I doubt it. Everything on this machine is near flawless except a tiny bit of seaming on the power field which is normal I hear and replacement mini fields are cheap

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

Clean tha powerball with mothers aluminum wheel polish. You will have to work a it but it will look new with some work.

You just saved me $40, and for that I thank you! My powerball was so speckled with black, it actually looked black. I had some Mothers Aluminum Polish laying around and went to work on it....15 minutes later it's back to being shiny white! Thanks for the tip.

Kevin

#12 11 years ago

Just in case the ball is in fact bouncing back into the trough off the rail, then this thread might help:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-ball-eject-problem

#13 11 years ago

While you are in there, take note of the little board at the top of the trough. That is the trough proximity sensor. It checks whether the next ball is metal. If it doesn't close, the game knows the powerball is being put into play. you at some time will get an error message, i think 22, for this. Make sure the screws are tight on it.

Dan

#14 11 years ago

Check gweempose's suggestion in that thread and that's what solved my problem on the kick out too.

Kevin

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Take out the coil sleeve and clean that area/coil it's probably gunked up...Dont use grease!!

Almost always just that easy.

#16 11 years ago

Not sure cleaning the powerball is worth the effort. It'll look good for a few games, but I've put brand new powerballs into TZ several times and within a week they are all marked up.

#17 11 years ago

Ok that problem solved.. it was gweem's point about bending the trough guide back into place.. it was way out of whack..

now 2 more questions not necessarily problems. I have seen video's of TZ games where the Slot Machine vuk appears to shoot the ball pretty hard at the flippers.. mine seems kinda.. "BLAH" it shoots it and it isn't very powerful but it may just be perspective.. It certainly gets out of the vuk/subway without an issue but i always thought it was going to be more forceful.

Second is if you drain the powerball on ball 1 and its in the trough.. you have 2 other balls ahead of it and drain those.. now the power ball is the first ball in the trough for a new game.

I start a new game and immediately get powerball. Is that normal? Or should the game know to reset the location of the balls and feed the powerball into the GB machine?

#18 11 years ago

The manual says the powerball will look off-white and that is normal and to not worry about that.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

very powerful but it may just be perspective.

That's the way it should be.Take out the coil and check your coil sleeve it might need to be replaced.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

I start a new game and immediately get powerball. Is that normal?

That's normal and part of game play-no issue there,You have shoot the powerball back in the gumball machine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lebanon, NJ
$ 79.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep
Led
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
Decorations
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-issue-grateful-for-any-assistance and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.