(Topic ID: 212771)

TZ - help me diagnose a strange reboot problem...

By drsfmd

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by AlbanyTim
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Helping a friend with a TZ.

The problem, as it was brought to my attention, was that when a replay was won, the knocker going off would cause the machine to reboot. So, I disconnected the knocker, and the game played fine... that eliminated the reset when the knocker went off, but it didn't solve the problem...

We quickly realized that the problem wasn't the knocker itself, it was the vibration from the knocker going off. In other words, any solid bump would cause the machine to reboot. It's particularly sensitive around the head, where a good rap (thinking knocking on a door) on the wood on the outside with cause it to reboot.

I've checked all of the connections and fuses-- I can't find any that are loose. I've followed the wires in the head looking for kinks or frayed insulation, and I can't find any.

Any ideas?

#2 1 year ago

I'd repin the connector that goes between the power board and the mpu. The molex pins may be dirty or cracked. I'd also inspect the male side of both for solder joint cracks. Only if that doesn't work would I start looking for playfield shorts.

#3 1 year ago

Yeah, disconnect and reconnect the Z connector that is just downline from the MPU's +5v and +12v plug. Likely it's tarnished or needs to be reseated.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

I'd repin the connector that goes between the power board and the mpu. The molex pins may be dirty or cracked. I'd also inspect the male side of both for solder joint cracks. Only if that doesn't work would I start looking for playfield shorts.

Do you mean the ribbon cable that connects J211 on the MPU to J213 on the power board? If you mean a different connector, please advise.

Quoted from Coyote:

Yeah, disconnect and reconnect the Z connector that is just downline from the MPU's +5v and +12v plug. Likely it's tarnished or needs to be reseated.

You mean the one that's in the bundle of wires in the head, near the short ribbon cable mentioned above? That's the only Z connector I'm aware of.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Do you mean the ribbon cable that connects J211 on the MPU to J213 on the power board? If you mean a different connector, please advise.

You mean the one that's in the bundle of wires in the head, near the short ribbon cable mentioned above? That's the only Z connector I'm aware of.

That's the one. It feeds +5v and switch +12v to the MPU..

#6 1 year ago

I had a similar issue with my old TZ. I reseated the ribbon cables and the reset issues went away.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I had a similar issue with my old TZ. I reseated the ribbon cables and the reset issues went away.

Thanks. We reseated them last night... maybe time for new ones.

#8 1 year ago

You should consider removing the z connector and nicely splicing the wires together. I had infrequent problems with both a tz and a RS. Would work for months and then start resetting.

Removing the z connector fixed it.

Note: many things could cause this, so this is one possibility

2 weeks later
#9 1 year ago

Thanks to everyone who posted. We discovered that the problem was shoddy repair work done on the power driver board. We didn't realize it until we visually inspected the back of the board when we removed it from the game. Swapping the board out solved the issue.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Indian Land, SC
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 159.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside