• 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DumbAss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Scottiiboyii:

Take off J212 and J205 (J206 and J208 are still off) get a Error of “replace fuse F115 and F114”

This happens when you remove the connector to the coin door interface board. This is where switch #24 is located. When the game can't see switch #24 as closed it assumes that there is something wrong with the +12VR. This should disappear when you reconnect J212.

#15 4 years ago

Consider disconnecting A-16807 - the "Custom Opto SW10 PCB Assembly". Reconnect your CPU connectors (J206 and J208) and disconnect J5 on A-16807. This will isolate the opto board. If the source of the ground short is on the board it should disappear.

#18 4 years ago

Disconnected J205 kept the J206 and J208 on and still says “ground 1 short stuck close”

Disconnecting J205 won't change the situation. Those are a bunch of orange wires that are direct grounded switches - not part of the matrix. You need to disconnect J5 on A-16807 - NOT J205 on the CPU board. This will isolate the A-16807 board from the switch matrix. If the source of the ground short is from the A-16807 board then it should disappear. J5 is a bunch of mostly white wires, some green wires, a black wire and a gray wire.

So opto board is clear of being the source for the ground short?

No. See the above. Disconnect J5 on A-16807 while leaving all the other connectors on the CPU board connected.

#20 4 years ago

BINGO! Took off the J5... just get “ball popper opto stuck”. No more ground short.
So from what I gather your telling me is the issue is on the A-16807.?

Yes. I'm overly cautious and I usually like to be 100% sure before proceeding. If I were doing this diagnosis I would disconnect J5 and see the problem disappear. Reconnect J5 and see the problem re-appear. Disconnect J5 again and see the problem disappear. Doing nothing else to the machine and seeing that kind of result leads me to conclude the problem is on the A-16807 board. That's a custom 10-opto switch board. You CANNOT replace it with a generic 10-opto switch board from another machine. This one for TZ was only used in TZ.

If you're comfortable with PCB diagnostic and repair I would bet that one (or more) of the LM339 ICs on the board is bad. You can purchase one @ https://www.pinballlife.com/10-opto-replacement-board-for-twilight-zone-a-16807.html if you just want to replace the board with a new one.

The old board can be repaired. I would not throw it out. If you decide you want to throw it I'd be interested in it.

#22 4 years ago

There all socketed so should be an easy swap... and we will see how that goes...

The ICs were NOT socketed from the factory so someone has done some work on that board. Check the previous work to make sure that the circuitry (continuity) is correct.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 9.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DumbAss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-ground-short-?tu=DumbAss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.