You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20151007_080328.jpg
2015-10-06_22.50.56.jpg
20151006_220016.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I installed a new battery holder & I am pretty sure I put the wires back in the correct places & now I get "GND. SHORT ROW 1 IS STUCK CLOSED. Any ideas? Thanks

20151006_220016.jpg20151006_220016.jpg

#2 8 years ago

For a start. Unplug the row connector from the cpu. Then turn the game on. If error remains then you have board damage. If not, out in the game you have a short from ground to row 1.

LTG : )™

#3 8 years ago

Thanks Lloyd, is the plug I unplug the one circled?

2015-10-06 22.50.56.jpg2015-10-06 22.50.56.jpg

#4 8 years ago

No.

Get manual out and in the rear of the manual is board and wiring charts.

#5 8 years ago

Did you unplug any of the gray ribbon cables like the one you circled in your picture. My guess is you did and you didn't put it back the same way. Ribbon cables need to be on the same pins on both ends. If they're not, you will get the ground row short error message. They have a red stripe along one side to aid in being sure it's aligned properly. Most people put the red stripe on pin 1 (it's silkscreened on the board) of the header pins on the board. Be sure both end of the plug have the stripe on the pin 1 side.

#6 8 years ago

Yes.. I did unplug the cable circled to replace the battery holder. There is a red wire coming from a connector going to a 100 mfd capacitor just to the right of the battery holder. Can you tell if I hooked everything up correctly by the picture?

I plugged that ribbon cable in different ways & sometimes the lights would come on near the gumball but it still would not work right.

The game seemed to work correctly before I installed that battery holder so I hope I didn't mess it up.

Thanks for your help on this.

20151007_080328.jpg20151007_080328.jpg

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Scout:

I plugged that ribbon cable in different ways

Hopefully you didn't do any damage.

Those ribbon cables should be red stripe pin one each end.

#8 8 years ago

Visually following the ribbon cable it looks like you have the red stripe flipped around on one end. Don't unplug both ends, just the cpu end and flip it over so the top end of the connector is now on the bottom end. They can only be put on two ways, try the other way.

#9 8 years ago

Ok.. I turned the cable around.. the pf lights up better but at 1st it says Gnd. Short Row 1 is Stuck Closed. . If I press test.. ground short 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,8, clock is broken & ball opto is stuck.

Thanks guys for your help with this.

#10 8 years ago

I moved the connector up 1 pin & no lights on pf.. slam tilt switch closed.. when I hit start button. . it can't find balls... ohh geeeezz

#11 8 years ago

Scout, a ribbon cable can be installed 50 different ways, but there is ONE right way, red stripe to pin 1 on the board with all the pins in the connector with none hanging out on one end. Purposely plugging it in incorrectly and applying power to see what happens is just foolish.

LTG gave you excellent advice in the second post in this thread a few minutes after you asked for help. Following his advice is always a good idea.

One thing that LTG always suggests in situations like this is to go back over your work....what you touched between the time the game worked and when it stopped working is probably where the problem lies. That's good advice too. In your case, you didn't touch the playfield. You touched the MPU connectors and you put a soldering iron to the back of the board.

Another clue is that you replaced the battery holder, which suggests there was/is alkaline damage on the holder. And it is possible that the damage has worked its way down the board to the column and row connectors.

The problem *probably* is on the board. Power off. Get the ribbon cables on right, pull the row connector at J208 or 209. Power on. Report back.

#12 8 years ago

Ok.. I made sure everything was plugged in correctly then I unplugged J209... powered the game on.. screen said testing... clocks minute hand went around 8 times then screen says slam tilt switch closed. The test are no lights on the pf.

Thanks for your help on this. I really appreciate it.

I do listen to what LTG says. I am kind of a novice at this & am just learning the lingo from here & the manual.

#13 8 years ago

bump... thank u

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 14.95
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-gnd-short-row-1-is-stuck-closed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.