IMG_0267.JPG
DSCN0876.JPG
DSCN0875.JPG
DSCN0874.JPG
DSCN0884.JPG
DSCN0883.JPG
DSCN0882.JPG
DSCN0879.JPG
There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Did you tumble the coil brackets, or just Blech-White them?
Amazing details you have done... it really shows.
Thanks for posting the progress.
Kerry

Just bleche white and a brush they are plated from the factory so they clean up great.

#52 11 years ago

Up next flippers I install new coil sleeves, pawl and crank, return spring, flipper bushing, coil wrapper, EOS, and flipper bat old photos....

DSCN0838.JPGDSCN0838.JPG DSCN0839.JPGDSCN0839.JPG DSCN0840.JPGDSCN0840.JPG

#53 11 years ago

and newly rebuilt...

DSCN0842.JPGDSCN0842.JPG DSCN0843.JPGDSCN0843.JPG DSCN0845.JPGDSCN0845.JPG

#54 11 years ago

installing parts on playfield, and some new presents from he UPS guy today

DSCN0847.JPGDSCN0847.JPG DSCN0848.JPGDSCN0848.JPG DSCN0853.JPGDSCN0853.JPG

#55 11 years ago

playfield machinery populated, cna't go any further because I forgot to order pop bumper lamp sockets (whoops) hopefully pblife will send them out today for wednesday. All looks minty fresh can't wait to finish it up.

DSCN0858.JPGDSCN0858.JPG DSCN0859.JPGDSCN0859.JPG DSCN0860.JPGDSCN0860.JPG

#56 11 years ago

Also installed my gifts from ups today...

DSCN0861.JPGDSCN0861.JPG DSCN0862.JPGDSCN0862.JPG

#57 11 years ago

coming together nicely... nice work

#58 11 years ago

Are you installing anything on the edge of the playfield to make sure it doesn't destroy the inner cabinet decals when you lift it up and down?

I've heard of people using a felt tape or something, but didn't know if there was an "industry standard".

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Are you installing anything on the edge of the playfield to make sure it doesn't destroy the inner cabinet decals when you lift it up and down?
I've heard of people using a felt tape or something, but didn't know if there was an "industry standard".

I use felt tape from pinrestore it is the perfect length and does two playfields, you can see it installed in the photos.

#60 11 years ago

very nice work. i am looking to do this type of resto to one of my funhouse machines.i will keep up with your progress

#61 11 years ago

My TZ is in need of a top-side teardown and cleaning, but I am pretty intimidated by the prospect of stripping that playfield. It'd be the first time I tore down a game, so I think I am procrastinating due to my intimidation

Yours looks awesome though, and just makes me want to do it more! Of course, I wouldn't be removing stuff from the underside of the PF (besides the subway) because there is no way I'd ever get it back together!

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

My TZ is in need of a top-side teardown and cleaning, but I am pretty intimidated by the prospect of stripping that playfield. It'd be the first time I tore down a game, so I think I am procrastinating due to my intimidation
Yours looks awesome though, and just makes me want to do it more! Of course, I wouldn't be removing stuff from the underside of the PF (besides the subway) because there is no way I'd ever get it back together!

If you take a bunch of photos it is not that difficult to do. Just keep track of how it all came off, so you know how to reassemble. Worst case scenario you get stuck and forget how something works, thats the great thing about pinside there are alot of tz's out there so you have plenty of help.

#63 11 years ago

Finishing up the remaining playfield machinery today, got my pop lamp sockets coming in tommorow then I should be able to finish up by friday. I rebuilt clock new lens, case, back, rottendog clock board, and cleaned and polished all parts. Smae goes with the gumball machine, cleaned all parts, and installed pblife gumballs, now if only pinbits would have the gumball light mod back in stock but I will have to install the later.

DSCN0863.JPGDSCN0863.JPG DSCN0864.JPGDSCN0864.JPG DSCN0865.JPGDSCN0865.JPG

#64 11 years ago

you're doing a very fine job and everything looks beautiful. congratulations!!

I really love the chrome legs and the upgraded speaker system

#65 11 years ago

looks great. Btw, it doesn't take 4 months to have something clearcoated. If you just need basic clearcoating, I could have turned it around in 2 weeks, tops.

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

looks great. Btw, it doesn't take 4 months to have something clearcoated. If you just need basic clearcoating, I could have turned it around in 2 weeks, tops.

Out of curiosity, how long do you suggest waiting before repopulating?

Nice resto, looks like you've done a thorough job!

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

dammit ! well next time I will send one out to you everyone else is 3-4 months

#68 11 years ago

For repopulating, you can repopulate as soon as you get it back. Just don't crank everything down super tight. I can be out 3-4 months, but for fields that just need couple layers of clear, I turn them around right away.

#69 11 years ago

Stephen,

Dude, you are sooo much braver than I. I would really like to do a total resto, as you've done on your machines, but the complexity and time involved has kept me at bay. Bravo!

I'm just south of you in Wooster, would love to see the finished product once you are done.

cheers,

rody

#70 11 years ago

Must say, that is one hell of an oven you have there..

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from Rody:

Stephen,
Dude, you are sooo much braver than I. I would really like to do a total resto, as you've done on your machines, but the complexity and time involved has kept me at bay. Bravo!
I'm just south of you in Wooster, would love to see the finished product once you are done.
cheers,
rody

I grew up in wayne county, I noticed you have a CFBL and SS in your collection. I want to do a CFTBL restoration next is it for sale, or do you want to have it restored ?

#72 11 years ago

amazing work, looks beautiful

Quoted from stephenshane237:

I am installing the new mini pf switch kit from GPE.

Do you have a link for this?

#74 11 years ago

I put that kit in mine. It was a PIA to get in, but worth it.

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I put that kit in mine. It was a PIA to get in, but worth it.

The kit uses 1/8 pop rivets to rivet the boards to the metal plates. With the boards installed on the plates soldering is almost impossible, so drill out the pop rivets all boards are the same on each piece. After the boards are free from the mounts solder all wires to the solder pads and install new pop rivets this maks the install way easier. The added benefit to the mini switches is the adjustability to make the switches ultra sensitive comared to the old ones.

#76 11 years ago

Been thinking aboot doing the underside of my W?D which is just filthy as hell. Done a few top tear downs but not bottom...still a little scared...but it's gotta happen at some point.

#77 11 years ago

Been working on TZ all day today, finished rebuilding all remaining solenoids and brackets, solder new EOS, target, and pop switches today. Installed GI harness and installed in machine to do test all works great really looking good now. Next up is the switch harness follow manual to make sure you dont get any positions mixed up.

DSCN0877.JPGDSCN0877.JPG DSCN0878.JPGDSCN0878.JPG DSCN0879.JPGDSCN0879.JPG

#78 11 years ago

I was very shocked by the ease of putting the harnesses back in they kind of hold their shape so if you do one at a time is pretty easy GI, then switch, and solenoid harness. All that is left to do on the underside is double check all switch positions, and solder all solenoids onto the harness. Then tidy the harnesses up a bit will zip ties and should be on to the topside which is cake compared to the rest.

DSCN0882.JPGDSCN0882.JPG DSCN0883.JPGDSCN0883.JPG DSCN0884.JPGDSCN0884.JPG

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Been thinking aboot doing the underside of my W?D which is just filthy as hell. Done a few top tear downs but not bottom...still a little scared...but it's gotta happen at some point.

Don't fear it I always have plenty of pics, and also HEPs website has some great hi-res photos of the underside that I refer to alot.

#80 11 years ago

Couldn't be more impressed with this.. Amazing work.....

#81 11 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Couldn't be more impressed with this.. Amazing work.....

Thanks ! remember for anyone that is afraid to tackle this, it is my first restoration never more than a typical top end tear down so it went easier than I expected. Hopefully it work when I'm done I was so excited when I put the PF in the cabinet after the GI harness and seen all the leds shining bright.

#82 11 years ago

When you remove all the wires underneath how far do you break them down for cleaning?
Do you snap the wire ties off and replace them to get every angle, or just keep intact and scrub w/ bleche white?

#83 11 years ago

I just keep them intact then I will replace the wire ties with new ones once in the playfield. I do make sure that all connectors and harnesses are blown off with compresses air after cleaning. I use a golf club scrub brush and a few toothbrushes to scrub them all they come out pretty clean. The weirdest thing is assembling a playfield without getting black gunk all over you. The bleche white does wonders for bracket and playfield components here are pics of brackets and coils with new wrappers on them ready for install.

DSCN0874.JPGDSCN0874.JPG DSCN0875.JPGDSCN0875.JPG DSCN0876.JPGDSCN0876.JPG

#84 11 years ago

Never heard of Bleceh white.
Is this the tire cleaner?
And you use it on the wires and metal brackets?

#85 11 years ago

Did you run anything thru the dishwasher?

Kerry

#86 11 years ago

Super job!!!

#87 11 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Never heard of Bleceh white.
Is this the tire cleaner?
And you use it on the wires and metal brackets?

I will agree with this. I hear people say it all the time but when I look it up I see tire cleaner. Prob same thing as i usually use Simple Green for same type things.

#88 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I will agree with this. I hear people say it all the time but when I look it up I see tire cleaner. Prob same thing as i usually use Simple Green for same type things.

Bleche white is the name you get it at autozone, it really brings out the brighter colors the best stuff i've used so far.

#89 11 years ago

Kerry

Nope never heard of doing that with anything just brushes and bleche white thats it.

#90 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The new Bleche Wite formula doesn't work nearly as well as the old. I've quit using it and found something called Purple Power, also found in auto retail stores, and I think it works better than the old Bleche Wite.

Simple Green doesn't do a thing compared to Purple Power. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

#91 11 years ago

Agreed....The new bleche white in the black bottle is garbage. You need the old one in the white/red bottle. Purple power is my go to now.

#92 11 years ago

new bleache white is about as tame as simple green. I let my wife use it as a general cleaner so long as its not on paint.

Gotta try that Purple Power... thanks Bryan!

#93 11 years ago

Great work, especially being your first restore. Any tips on removing wiring harnesses and keeping track of all the solder points and the re-assembly work?

Thanks,

#94 11 years ago

Stephen,

The CFTBL is not for sale though it is in need of some love...would be glad to let you come play her a bit

May be able to help you with your playfield clear coating conundrum, we should make it a point to talk soon.

cheers,

rody

#95 11 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Agreed....The new bleche white in the black bottle is garbage. You need the old one in the white/red bottle. Purple power is my go to now.

I agree you have to get the old white bottle stuff Autozone carries it in the old white bottle.

#96 11 years ago
Quoted from vcloverjr:

Great work, especially being your first restore. Any tips on removing wiring harnesses and keeping track of all the solder points and the re-assembly work?
Thanks,

The only solder points are coils and switches you can refer to the manual for the switch colors, and also take pictures for the coil points. Its not as hard as you think the wiring harness holds its shape pretty well.

#97 11 years ago
Quoted from Rody:

Stephen,
The CFTBL is not for sale though it is in need of some love...would be glad to let you come play her a bit
May be able to help you with your playfield clear coating conundrum, we should make it a point to talk soon.
cheers,
rody

If you ever want to restore her I have all the tools needed, rottiserie, rivet press, ground braid air stapler, and soldering tools. I would be glad to lend them to you if you wat to do your game after I get my IJ done. http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-high-end-restoration-thread-my-high-end

#98 11 years ago

Kerry

I've read many who have run there, ramps, boards and wiring harnesses thru dishwasher. But NOT in the drying cycle. I have not tried it, however.

I too like / use Blech White (white bottle) on wire harness, metal, white bushings, well just about everything (except coil labels). I use it on my Harley Davidson's 2" white walls. I wear rubber gloves... that stuff burns!

Bryan Kelly... Thanks for the tip on the Purple Magic stuff. I'll have to give that a try.

Kerry

#99 11 years ago

I agree you have to get the old white bottle stuff Autozone carries it in the old white bottle.

The white bottle has nothing to do with it , you have to get Westley's and to the Black Magic. The bottles look almost identical with only the name being different .

Black Magic = garbage .

Jim

IMG_0267.JPGIMG_0267.JPG

#100 11 years ago

I've read many who have run there, ramps, boards and wiring harnesses thru dishwasher. But NOT in the drying cycle. I have not tried it, however.
I too like / use Blech White (white bottle) on wire harness, metal, white bushings, well just about everything (except coil labels). I use it on my Harley Davidson's 2" white walls. I wear rubber gloves... that stuff burns!
Bryan Kelly... Thanks for the tip on the Purple Magic stuff. I'll have to give that a try.
Kerry

That's "Purple Power", Kerry.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 1,059.00
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 132.00
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-full-restoration-in-20-days/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.