TZ Flasher Stuck on, getting really hot

By hynesceltics

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Howdy all, The Upper Right flipper flasher on my TZ is stuck on, never had an issue like this before so dont really know where to start, any suggestions? thanks

#2 11 years ago

When it sticks again, shut the power off. If it drops you have an electrical problem. If it stays up you have a mechanical problem. If mechanical, check for binding on all the flipper parts. It is usually a misadjusted shaft or something.

#3 11 years ago

Thanks for the help, but i think you misread, im talking about the Flasher that sits above the upper right flipper on my TZ. the Flasher stays on instead of just flashing, and its the only one doing it.

#4 11 years ago

My bad, I read flipper and missed flasher part. I will have to get the book out for that one. I am not going to be near it until tomorrow. LTG or Vid will probably chime in before that.

#5 11 years ago

Yeah, it could be something simple, i just have no idea lol

#6 11 years ago

Check your wire from your flasher socket...it sounds like the wire might be pinched and touching a screw or metal

#7 11 years ago

Just had a look at the socket, all looks normal from what i can see

#8 11 years ago

Follow the wire all the way from the socket to the connector under the playfield make sure the wire is damaged

#9 11 years ago

Ill have a look shortly, thanks

#10 11 years ago

You have a short to ground.

May be a short at the socket or anywhere along the wiring for that flasher socket.

May be the drive transistor has gone bad and shorted to ground, and will need to be replaced on the power driver board.

Don't let the flasher stay on - it will burn and melt stuff (probably didn't need to point that out but...)

RussMyers

#11 11 years ago

Ok thanks Russ. so ill take a look at the wire and follow it all the way along to see if i can find anything suss lookin. Couldnt find which transistor controls the flasher in the manual, the space was blank where it said "drive xister". Just got my board back from a local tech cause it was causing reset issues, hopefully that doesnt have anything to do with my new issue.

#12 11 years ago

I'm pretty sure the drive transistor for that flasher is on the little 8 driver board on the right side of the back box. You should be able to visually trace the path from the drive wire to the corresponding transistor

#13 11 years ago

Yeah i just realised that, thanks anyway im gonna look into it shortly. completely forgot about that board haha

#14 11 years ago

That flasher is particularly troublesome in TZ. This happened to mine a few years back and it was solved simply by reseating the associated connectors (more often than not, this is how this problem is solved). I think it was the connectors to the 8-driver board that finally corrected the problem. Once you figure it out, stick an LED flasher in the socket above the flipper so as to not melt that plastic should the problem arise again.

#15 11 years ago

Yeah probably a bad transistor, easy fix, just have to track down the correct transistor. But make sure you pull the bulb it will melt the insert or at minimum warp it. I am sure you know that but wanted to double check

#16 11 years ago

Pinballcharlie nailed it here. i found that the ribbon cable wasnt seated very well on the 8 driver board. so i reseated it and now BAM, flashers back to normal thanks everyone for your help, glad this was a quick easy fix.

#17 11 years ago

Nice. That Aux Driver board is known to be problematic. Forgot it was in TZ.

That's another advantage of LEDs IMO; stuck on bulbs don't turn into an EasyBake Oven(tm).

RussMyers

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

That flasher is particularly troublesome in TZ. This happened to mine a few years back and it was solved simply by reseating the associated connectors (more often than not, this is how this problem is solved). I think it was the connectors to the 8-driver board that finally corrected the problem. Once you figure it out, stick an LED flasher in the socket above the flipper so as to not melt that plastic should the problem arise again.

I now have an LED in there too as a locked on flasher there will melt the plastic quickly. And, the lamp socket is riveted to that plastic.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 79.50
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
$ 22.50
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 132.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-flasher-stuck-on-getting-really-hot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.