• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-478.jpg
image-270.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Picked up a TZ last night and the clock is not working. Seller said its a new board. Clock just keeps spinning, and mostly in reverse. I took the clock apart and cleaned all the optos, but still no luck. Connectors underneath the clock and playfield have all been reseated, no change. I have some local reinforcements coming to help me, but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts to point me in the next direction. Motor spins freely. In test mode, it doesn't register for all of the time periods, only some, But I do see at least four optos registering at 00, 15, 30 and 45. I'm not sure exactly what the test is supposed to show.

Thx

#2 9 years ago

Likely bad optos.

Honestly, instead of trying to fix it, grab a new one (Inigo's, I believe, is the best, though I personally don't have one yet.).

In the test, it should show all minutes activated while moving as the hand passes each opto, and the four hour optos should reflect the location of the hour hand (see manual for the opto states..)

If all hour optos are bad, it could be a bad connection between boards - try checking that.

#3 9 years ago

These are the times it registers in test mode...seems to hit all the quarter times.

830,815,400,430,415,12,1230,1215,11,1130,1115,345,330, 3, 315.

What connection is it on the main boards in the back box? Is there a board under the PF too, other than the one that drives the clock motor?

#4 9 years ago

The 8-driver PCB (the small board in the backbox) drives the column (column 9) for the optos, and the rows are connected directly up to the MPU. That 8-Driver board is not your problem.

The times you listed, are those in order they popped up during the test, or are you just listing out times you saw on the screen? (If they're in order, which direction did you have the clock going? Forward or Reverse?)

In either case, again, I would just very strongly get a new clock board, and save you the trouble.

#5 9 years ago

In order, clock was going in reverse.

#6 9 years ago

Okay, then yeah, you just have some bad optos. You can try cleaning them, but they may have to be replaced at the least.

#7 9 years ago

Thx. Cleaning didn't work. I have a friend with a spare older board I can try. I guess it wasn't a new board the seller said he installed. I'm at least glad it's not difficult to get the clock out.

#8 9 years ago

Took a short video of what's going on, maybe someone has some thoughts. I took the board out and plugged back in to test all 8 optos, they all registered passing a thin stick across them. I'm starting to lean toward either a minute hand issue or a clock calibration issue.

#9 9 years ago

Well, the story ends well. I have found and fixed the problem. The spindle that holds the hands on and runs back to the motor had too much play, keeping the minute hand too far from the optos. I turned the game on and pushed on the center of the spindle to take the play out and the clock went to midnight and shortly thereafter it went to the current time. I'll tighten up the spindle, maybe with a washer or a layer or two of electrical tape just on the other side of the e-clip.

#10 9 years ago

Have you ever removed the hands? I'm curious if the hour hand is missing the small rod it's supposed to sit on. That would certainly account for the extra play on that shaft. I wonder if the tabs on the hands that interrupt the opto beams might have broken off at some point or something along those lines, too. Also, look to see if the rear of that shaft is protruding more than it should, too.

#11 9 years ago

So I reinstall the clock thinking I have the shaft tight. Goes to noon, then goes to current time. Come down in the morning and time has stopped....definitely in the twilight zone. Out comes the clock for about the 10th time. The spindle moved in and out too much. Because there is too much play between the beards. Hard to explain, but I had to build up the front of one of the gears with felt tape to take up the slack...seems to have worked. Hope this helps someone else down the road.

I think at this point I can take out the clock and take it apart with eyes closd and in less than 5 minutes.

#12 9 years ago

Well, clock started acting erratic again, won't set itself to noon or keep time, sets to between 12 and 1 or 11 and 1, so would appear it's having trouble calibrating, which I think is an opto problem. In test mode, doesn't trip all the times, skips from 10 to 12. I'm going to swap in a friends known working board to rule out wiring issues, then I'll be buying Ingos board.

#13 9 years ago

I had a similar issue with mine, would test out fine, and sometimes in test even it would stop dead after a minute or two, and in game would get out of whack as well.
it did turn out to be an alignment with the minutes hand, and the play in the rod it sits on.

I noticed that during normal play, the rod will slide forward, allowing some slack. This is just enough to throw the minute hand off as this now too, had slack. I thought I might be able to groove the end of the rod at the back of the clock housing and put a c clip on it, but I first wanted to try eliminating the front to back slack at the front of the rod.
There is one washer in there after that hour hand, but not enough room for two. I took an old leaf blade switch and cut it in half to make two really thin ''square'' washers, this took up the slack and allowed just enough room for the c clip at the end. I haven't had a problem since as it is tight now, with no room for the minutes hand to wander.

#14 9 years ago

Thanks, not sure that's my issue, but could be. My minute hand and the spindle now have zero play and the spindle is back as far as it can go. In test mode, it hits the 15, 30, 45 and 00 optos, but not for all hours. I'll try to bend the minute hand in just a little to see if it helps.

#15 9 years ago

if it's not for all hours, you have some warp/play in the shaft or the hand,
Inspect the minutes hand for warp backwards-
That's all it takes to throw the clock completely off

1 week later
#16 9 years ago

Just want to update. I was able to figure out, with the help of a friend, that the 45 minute opto (far left in pic) was sitting a hair too low, causing the minute hand to just miss it. It registered when the hand would go slow, but at faster speeds it would miss. You can see in the pic, though it's hard to see, that it is sitting a bit lower compared to the others. Today, I received Ingos board with the rainbow LEDs, everything works perfectly.

image-270.jpgimage-270.jpg image-478.jpgimage-478.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 132.00
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 29.95
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-dreaded-clock-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.