9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PlayBetter.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider psychopsonic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 9 years ago

As a musician, audiophile, and voiceover person, sound in pinball is a much bigger deal to me than the majority of pinheads, I freely admit. However, there are a number of games I sadly wouldn't consider owning because of their audio, particularly the speech--the music and sounds I can live with, but the "speech" is really grating and fatiguing to listen to, IMHO.

Gorgar? No problem. EATPM, DD, PZ, WH20, TAF, DW, CFTBL? Ouch, my ears. Sure, some great designs there, but the early digitized speech is just a major negative for me. Always will be happy to play those elsewhere anytime, but couldn't spend the money and feel 100% good about owning one.

BSD was one of them, and it's in the house, but only because the example I found was too good to pass up. I've come to love the game for reasons other than the sound and art, which were the two biggest cons on that title for me, but would jump at the chance for upgraded audio in a heartbeat. Why is Ron Jeremy so mad at TheKorn and his flatulence?

I'm 100% with Strange--no Addams for me, mainly because of audio, but also because Lawlor's designs and my skills are oil and water in almost all cases, to the point that I honestly just don't enjoy playing them--and as a fairly regular tourney player, I've cursed Pat more times than I can count. Yes, I know...
PlayBetter.jpgPlayBetter.jpg

The story about the Wet Willy re-recording is a great one, but certainly the original full-bandwidth voice recordings still exist on tape somewhere among the WMS/Bally IP assets for all the games going back to the earliest titles to include digitized voice. WHERE are those original voice recordings??!?

If those recordings can be located, then plug them into the super-awesome PinSound board (most exciting development in pinball since ColorDMD, IMHO), and let's at least have the option to leave the awful-sounding early speech synthesis in the far distant past, where it belongs.

Have it selectable for purists, I get that, but for those that really value audio quality, it would be great to be able to hear the original recordings at 44.1 at least. Not that DCS is anything close to mid-fi, but it was a significant improvement over what came before it, for sure.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider psychopsonic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-dcs?tu=psychopsonic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.