(Topic ID: 94211)

TZ: Correct game operation when shooting left spiral with "load gumball" lit?

By icephyre

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by _litz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hi guys,
Just wondering if it's normal on a TZ for the fanfare sound effect to play, along with a mechanical noise (diverter?) when I shoot the ball up the left spiral and around the orbit when the load gumball lamp is flashing?

I understand this is the correct operation when shooting the right spiral and loading the gumball machine, but I thought it wouldn't do so the other way around? Not sure if I have something amiss...

thanks,

#2 9 years ago

Hmmm...If the left spiral is lit I believe it should only make the spiral noise and advance the spiral award?

#3 9 years ago

No, I think you're correct in assuming that something's wrong. I think the opto for the left magnet might be flaky or out. I'd go into Switch Test mode and run your finger in front of that opto and see if it registers.

(I'll play mine tonight and see if it does the same thing just to cover all bases.)

#4 9 years ago

Thanks, would like to know how yours responds,
mine registers fairly well in test mode, but i just replaced the Opto board with the GLM one and it might be responding a little differently, could be some extra ambient light from globes i've replaced, not sure.

#5 9 years ago

Sounds like you have the connections for the left and right spiral opto sets reversed (or perhaps the board has a wiring issue?).

#6 9 years ago

Sorry for the late reply! I confirmed that mine does not play the fanfare for loading the gumball when I shoot the left spiral(entrance by the small upper left flipper). It should only play the fanfare and trip the diverter when the opto for the right magnet gets tripped. I've had ricocheted shots travel up the right orbit but not up to the diverter where it plays the fanfare because it thinks I made the shot.

I think jadziedzic might be on to something with his post, though.

#7 9 years ago

That's definitely an issue w/the left spiral optos.

You're hearing the "load gumball" fanfare, because the game thinks you've shot the right spiral instead!

#8 9 years ago

I just fixed my TZ last week. All the optos were going nuts and firing at the wrong times. I highly suggest reflowing the entire opto board. That completely fixed all my problems.

I was having a similar situation where one opto would set other ones off.

Joe

#9 9 years ago

It's not unheard of for the LM339 comparators to have issues as well ... those are the BA10339 chips. They're actually LM339s ... easy to find/replace.

When these go bad an opto will typically start "spasming" ... or rapidly oscillating between on/off when triggered.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 22.50
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-correct-game-operation-when-shooting-left-spiral-with-load-gumball-lit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.