resistor.jpg
wrong resistors (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
wmsmotorboard (resized).jpg
U1 A-16120.jpg
bi-dir.jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from german-pinball:

Means, when you press first button, motor turn CW and if you press the other button motor turns CCW, correct??

Yes

#52 7 years ago

And you also tested the voltages on the homepin board at the TPs for +5V and +12V? Are these voltages present and OK, if yes, we will do another test ....

#53 7 years ago

And you also tested the voltages on the homepin board at the TPs for +5V and +12V? Are these voltages present and OK, if yes, we will do another test ....

Yes. Voltages are correct.

#54 7 years ago

OK, we next ground the 2 inputs separately.

Therefore you should build a short "testcable" (eg. a wire with an alligator clip or so to clip it to a good ground point), one side connected to GROUND (somewhere) and with the other end of the testcable you do the following:

connect to Input DIR1 (you can e.g. put the wire to banded side of Diode D2) - Motor should turn CW

connect to Input DIR2 (you can e.g. put the wire to banded side of Diode D3) - Motor should turn CWW

Do NOT do this test, while the clock test menu is running. And be careful, not to cause a short.

Post the results, what happens,

when you ground DIR1

when you ground DIR2

#55 7 years ago

OK, we next ground the 2 inputs separately.
Therefore you should build a short "testcable" (eg. a wire with an alligator clip or so to clip it to a good ground point), one side connected to GROUND (somewhere) and with the other end of the testcable you do the following:
connect to Input DIR1 (you can e.g. put the wire to banded side of Diode D2) - Motor should turn CW
connect to Input DIR2 (you can e.g. put the wire to banded side of Diode D3) - Motor should turn CWW
Do NOT do this test, while the clock test menu is running. And be careful, not to cause a short.
Post the results, what happens,
when you ground DIR1
when you ground DIR2

I think you may have it backwards. If I ground DIR2 I get clockwise movement. If I ground DIR1, I get nothing.

#56 7 years ago

Such a simple test. Embarrassing that this wasn't the first thing that I tried.
Though it does make one wonder what is the purpose of the test buttons.

This thread is a great example to people how not to troubleshoot.

#57 7 years ago

The purpose of the test buttons is the same. But as I do not have the schematics of the homepin-board and I do ot know, how he wired his test buttons, we do it this way. If homepins testbuttons ground behind the optocouplers, we cannot test, if the optocouplers are OK.

Using my way and motor turns cw and ccw, the homepin board is OK, if not, we can identify, if one of the optocouplers on the board is bad.

#58 7 years ago

The purpose of the test buttons is the same. But as I do not have the schematics of the homepin-board and I do ot know, how he wired his test buttons, we do it this way. If homepins testbuttons ground behind the optocouplers, we cannot test, if the optocouplers are OK.
Using my way and motor turns cw and ccw, the homepin board is OK, if not, we can identify, if one of the optocouplers on the board is bad.

So then, U1 is bad?

#59 7 years ago

If you make a short between pin 4 and 5 on IC1 (or IC2) then you skip the opto-isolator and drive U4 directly.
Better unplug the aux.8-drv in the backbox.

It looks from pictures that the Homepin bi-dir motordrive ver1.4 (also) grounds pin 5 of the opto-isolator.

bi-dir.jpgbi-dir.jpg

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

If you make a short between pin 4 and 5 on IC1 (or IC2) then you skip the opto-isolator and drive U4 directly.
Better unplug the aux.8-drv in the backbox.
It looks from pictures that the Homepin bi-dir motordrive ver1.4 (also) grounds pin 5 of the opto-isolator.

I'm not sure I fully understand. Do you think U1 is bad?

#61 7 years ago

If 'grounding' J1-2 (violet dot) doesn't make the clock motor spin but 'grounding U1-5 (green dot) does,
you can say that U1 or R2 or D2 is the problem.

U1 A-16120.jpgU1 A-16120.jpg

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

If 'grounding' J1-2 (violet dot) doesn't make the clock motor spin but 'grounding U1-5 (green dot) does,
you can say that U1 or R2 or D2 is the problem.

Got it! Thanks!

It seems (to my uneducated brain) that there should be a simpler way to design this function without a failure-prone optocoupler in the circuit.

#63 7 years ago

The two test switches are connected to the output side of the optocouplers. Their function is to make it easier to operate the mechanism and adjust and repair it. Not for testing the board so much.

The purpose of the optocouplers is to isolate the motor driver circuitry from the circuits and preventing a major issue. Optocouplers are usually very reliable from my experience. Homepin does not normally change the original circuitry, we make numerous changes for improvement but keep the original design where possible. On this board we simply added the two test switches, everything else is as the original.

You can easily work out which components might be faulty by looking at the part diagram of the board below.

If SW1 (DIR1) is NOT working, suspect one of the following - U1, D2, R2.

If SW2 (DIR2) is the one not working suspect one of these - U2, D3, R6.

All of these parts are exactly the same as they are on the original board.

wmsmotorboard (resized).jpgwmsmotorboard (resized).jpg

#64 7 years ago

Thanks Mike.

Then perhaps my problem is that R2 is 10ohms when the schematic says it should be 680ohms.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#65 7 years ago

The color code indicates indeed a 10 ‎Ω resistor (same as R5) . That will take out the ir-LED inside U1 in a very short time.
Replacement of both components is needed.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

The color code indicates indeed a 10 ‎Ω resistor (same as R5) . That will take out the ir-LED inside U1 in a very short time.
Replacement of both components is needed.

You eagle-eye

Indeed, both resistors have the wrong value.

Replacement of both resistors and at least U1 optocoupler is needed. It seems, that U2 is still alive.

By the way: R3, R7 + R8 are silkscreened 2K7, but installed are 2K6, but this should not matter in this application.

wrong resistors (resized).JPGwrong resistors (resized).JPG

#67 7 years ago

resistor.jpgresistor.jpg

Quoted from german-pinball:both resistors have the wrong value.

I think -but not sure- that the other resistor (R6) is correct.
Made it slightly lighter and then 3rd color looks brown.

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

R6 is indeed correct. Band 3 is brown and it measures 680 with a meter.

Mike has graciously agreed to send out a new board. If he does not want the old one back, I will probably try to fix it at some point.

While I have the experts here: Can a 4N35 be substituted in for the 4N25 opto coupler?

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Can a 4N35 be substituted in for the 4N25 opto coupler?

Yes, but it needs another current limiter resistor for the input LED. Something about 1200-1500 ohm if I calculate correct.

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Indeed the upper resistor value is incorrect and very likely has taken out the optocoupler.

The bottom resistor looks correct.

Please feel free to replace the resistor and the optocoupler but I would advise using a 4N25 or 4N28.

I will still get another board sent out but s I am currently traveling I haven't had the opportunity to do that yet, sorry about that.

1 week later
#71 7 years ago

I received my parts from GPE, installed the correct resistor and replaced U1. The clock now works correctly!

Thanks to all who helped.

Homepin , no need to send out the replacement. All is well.

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I received my parts from GPE, installed the correct resistor and replaced U1. The clock now works correctly!
Thanks to all who helped.
homepin , no need to send out the replacement. All is well.

Great news! The replacement board was sent about a week ago so you will have a spare when it arrives.

2 years later
#73 4 years ago

I had this issue with the clock running backwards...changed the U1 chip and the clock is running fine now. Thanks for these tips!

9 months later
#74 3 years ago

And just to bump this...

I turned on my TZ a couple days ago and the clock went wild immediately. It did turn off during testing through. Only went backwards (at both speeds). Did some digging, looked at the manual's schematics, and suspected it might be U1 on the A-16120 Motor Control board. Also tested the inputs to the motor board were operating correctly.

I decided to search and see what was out there on the topic and found this! It was great to see some data confirming the likely cause (or maybe a common cause?).

Got a new 4n25, replaced it, working perfectly.

Thanks for this info.

... Altan

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.95
$ 1,059.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 14.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-clock-wont-go-in-reverse/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.