• Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190323_092947 (resized).jpg
slot machine switch correct (resized).jpg
TZ-Clock_fault_Nico.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider german-pinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 11 years ago

Nico - everything can be, also a cold solder joint. If it is so, the cold solder joint can only be at OPTO1. Look carefully at the 4 solder points on the back of the PCB, if the solder point are good.

BUT - I do not believe, that there is a cold solder joint.

Your problem is mysterious, I never heard of that.

What do the diagnostic LEDs on the board say, especially what does LED1 show, when the minute hand passes through OPTO1? It must go off, when the minute hand passes through. If it goes off, the fault is not on the board, but elsewhere "outside" the board. If it does not go off, the OPTO might be bad (it would be the first time for one of my boards), or the OPTO has bad contact in the socket (take the opto out 2 times and in again) or nethertheless a bad solder joint.

But I suppose, that there is some hardware-misalignment with your minute hand or the minute hand is worn out.

Please see this site:
http://pin-logic.com/tz_clock_fix.htm

Please keep me/us informed, the problem is "interesting".

-Ingo TZ-Clock_fault_Nico.JPGTZ-Clock_fault_Nico.JPG

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from cogito:

Ingo, excellent suggestion. As soon as I get back to my machine I'll check the diagnostic LEDs, which I had turned off until this point. I'll keep everyone posted.

For this reason, the diagnostic LEDs are there
Do not put in the resistor network the wrong way, the white dot on the resistor network (Pin1) MUST notch with the silkscreened 1 on the board (see instructions on my website)!!!!!!!

-Ingo

PS.:
Here is an excellent write-up, of "How to make Twilight Zone´s clock to work smooth without the "crappy" noise". See in the middle of the site.
http://www.pinballark.com/especial.html

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from cogito:

I just checked, and the diagnostic LEDs do indeed go out. So, it's safe to say the board is functioning properly. I was wondering, could the problem be caused by the black hour opto interrupting cogwheel not being mounted in it's correct orientation? Because to my knowledge, Clock chaos is the only mode where the clock reverses into the start position, which is 6 instead of the other modes' 12 o'clock. I consulted the manual, and I think my cogs are properly aligned.
In the test menu, the clock advances an hour when the minute hand passes over the 4. Could other TZ owners confirm that this is how the clock is supposed to work?

Look on my website, go to TZ-Clock-PCB and then click on the french flag. There are at the end some (bad) fotos, of how the black hour interrupting wheel must be installed.

I googled a bit ... and yes, the cpu can be confused, if the big black hour hand gear
is not installed correctly. Look at the wonderful site of Dr. Ed Cheung and look for the following term "Reassembling the TZ clock gears":
http://www.edcheung.com/album/album08/pinball/tz.htm

-Ingo

1 week later
#25 11 years ago
Quoted from cogito:

Welcome Tom, and thanks for chipping in. Your very useful switch of the entire clock between TZs suggests that the problem is not caused by anything in the physical clock. That makes sense, seeing how specific the problem is: all clock tests and movement are fine. Thanks for the valuable input!
So most likely the problem is chip related. Ideally, I'd like to list all the logic chips that are involved with the clock, and somehow test their connections to the board one by one. I'd better find out how to go about that.

I spoke with a really great expert about your problem and he will look at it. So please stay a bit patient, we wil find the problems, that must be somwhere on the CP-Board.

-Ingo

5 years later
#28 5 years ago

Problem seems to be solved!!!!! - after more than 5 years!!!!!!!!!

A friend of mine in the UK had exactly the same problem.

The problem seems to be caused by a miswired switch in another location in the machine. In the case of my friend it was a miswired switch on the slot machine switch.

This is, what he wrote to me:
"... Just thought I would let you know, that I have now got a fully working clock
To cut a long story short (as I spent hours looking), somebody in the past had soldered the 2 wires on the slot machine switch on the wrong end of the diode swapped them round and the clock is perfect now. ...

I asked him the following:
"... How for hell did you find this fault? It is nearly impossible, to find such a disgusting fault. ..."

Here is his answer:
"... I found it by fluke really, I thought I would just test every playfield switch to see, if they all worked and by pure luck there was still a ball in the slot machine so that switch was on.
As I got to the "lite slot machine switch", I noticed that the right slingshot fired as I pressed the switch? After a quick look underneath at the 3 switches I noticed that the slot machine switch was wired wrong.
I swapped the wire to the correct side of the diode and that cured the slingshot fault and when I started a game and got clock chaos it was fixed

Here is a picture of the switch that caused the problem.

Thanks again for all your help ..."

I must not mention, that finding this fault, took many many weeks and hours of time.

Conclusion: If such a disgusting fault occurs with your clock in clock chaos, check ALL your switches in your machine for miswiring and/or a faulty or reverse connected diode on the switch.

I thought, this is a very important information to share with all of you for same future problems.

Tribute goes to GREAT BRITAIN, thanks my friend!!!!!

PS.:
Here is a photo of the switch (in the photo, it is now wired the correct way)

slot machine switch correct (resized).jpgslot machine switch correct (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider german-pinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-clock-stops-in-clock-chaos?tu=german-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.