New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 47459)

TZ Clock Problem

By PinballHog

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by PinballHog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I'm sure this problem has been talked about before, but I couldn't find it. Last night I was playing my tz and when I booted the game up everything was good. I started a game and everything went great, clock was working. Then I started, I think, clock chaos or maybe a different mode, but the clock started. Then right in the middle of the mode it stopped. I went ahead and finshed the game but the clock was stuck and never moved again. After the game I turned off the machine and turned it back on. The clock booted up and returned to its normal 12:00. I then went in to test mode. All the optos tested great, but when I would test the clock in fast forward it would start at 12 and stop at about 6. Then I could start it up again and it would stop on about 12. I turned the pinball off and let it sit for a min. Then I checked the clock motor board under the playfield unplugging both plugs and plugging them back in. Then I booted the machine back on, again the clock booted fine. I went back into test mode and started the clock in fast forward again. I noticed the clock seemed to be moving a little faster and smoother. The hour arm made it all the way around this time, but after it went around it started to slow down a little again and sounded like it was laboring a little. The hour hand went all the way around about 3 more times in this slower speed and then it stopped. I then started it back up in fast forward, and it was stopping about every 6 hours again. Do you think the motor is going out? Any ideas on what to do before I order a motor?

#2 7 years ago

in clock test first see if the checkboxes for the opto report find or sometimes flicker because of vibrations/..
does the machine start up with a 'clock broken' error ??

#3 7 years ago

I'd check all the wiring first to see if something is close to breaking off. Motors in pins usually don't go bad.

Scott

#4 7 years ago

When I run the test all the opto checks come on as the clock runs. It also counts the hours in the test. Like 1:00, 2:00, etc. It sounds more like the motor is laboring or dragging after the hour hand gets around all the way. I didn't know if the motor might be heating up and stopping. Might be wires in a bind or shorting out. What about the board under the playfield is there anything there that might be going out, should I try resetting all the male pins on those 2 plugs?

#5 7 years ago

What does it mean if the optos are flickering?

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballHog:

When I run the test all the opto checks come on as the clock runs. It also counts the hours in the test. Like 1:00, 2:00, etc. It sounds more like the motor is laboring or dragging after the hour hand gets around all the way. I didn't know if the motor might be heating up and stopping. Might be wires in a bind or shorting out. What about the board under the playfield is there anything there that might be going out, should I try resetting all the male pins on those 2 plugs?

my 'pin guy' drilled holes in the cube that houses the clock and it worked fine from then on???? so maybe a heat issue?

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

my 'pin guy' drilled holes in the cube that houses the clock and it worked fine from then on???? so maybe a heat issue?

I don't think it is a heat issue because I already have the led board.

#8 7 years ago

I was wrong. I bought this TZ about 3 weeks ago, and I knew it had the led clock board. I opened up the clock and it is the Rotten Dog board, and it is burnt up at the top. I re soldered some of the joints and it seems to be working again for now. I'm sure it's a matter of time when it goes out again. I thought if you had the led board it wouldn't get hot. What is the best replacement board?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 14.95
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside