Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pinballsmith
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_1084.JPG
IMG_1083.JPG
IMG_1079.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1075.JPG
ClockMillionsMod.jpg

#1 7 years ago

My Clock Millions mod is starting to become reality. Just got my prototype models printed in a hard plastic. The items you see are just prototype versions for sizing purposes. I hope to have a much smoother and paintable version finished soon. I will also have the face made and wired for LEDs. My camera mod prototype is being shipped to me tomorrow, so I'll have that tested and then printed in a more durable and smoother plastic. Stay tuned...

ClockMillionsMod.jpg IMG_1075.JPG

#2 7 years ago

Good stuff PinballSmith! Makes me want to open up Maya.

Are you using Max? Do you have your own printer or are you farming it out?

Very cool.

Keith

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from kpull:

Good stuff PinballSmith! Makes me want to open up Maya.
Are you using Max? Do you have your own printer or are you farming it out?
Very cool.
Keith

I'm using a combination of Max and Blender. I wish I could afford to even look at a printer in person. ^_^ I used to make these by carving wax and mixing my own silicone molds, but I'm now using current technology for more accurate modeling. These models came out with some errors that I'm now fixing (they're not smooth at all and thus not ideal for painting). Maybe mid August they will become available for purchase.

#4 7 years ago

Make sure the LED you get in there really spreads out the light. Issues with the other ones is they look great lit in pics, but in real life it's a little too "spotted" in the middle.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Make sure the LED you get in there really spreads out the light. Issues with the other ones is they look great lit in pics, but in real life it's a little too "spotted" in the middle.

I have an idea using a flashlight lense to amplify the light in every direction in the works. My next problem is the clock face. I have my design made in Photoshop, but I'm trying to come up with a way to fix it to the backside of the clear plastic lense. Do they sell clear sticker paper or paper where you can print on the sticker side (don't know how that would work)? I've seen this done where people make their own taxidermy eyes. Other then that, the first batch will be shipped to me sometime this week. They will be ready in about two weeks as I still need to paint them and fix the clock face problem. Stay tuned...

#6 7 years ago

Do want

#7 7 years ago

I just got the first camera back from the company I'm using to make these mods. This model is currently rough and needs to be made much more smooth and I'm planning on adding more detail work. What do you guys think? Anything I should change?

IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1079.JPG

#8 7 years ago

I would keep that camera just like it is. It looks very detailed, any more and it could look like too much. I need to get a clock millions on mine. Looking forward to seeing your finished products.

#9 7 years ago

For the clock face doesn't photoshop allow you to mirror your image thus allowing you to print on the non-sticky side so that you can attach to the lens and display the correct image on the other side?

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballAddiction:

For the clock face doesn't photoshop allow you to mirror your image thus allowing you to print on the non-sticky side so that you can attach to the lens and display the correct image on the other side?

Finding clear sticker paper to put in my printer has been a hassle. If anyone can source a good product and information, I might consider giving them a huge discount on one of my mods of their choice.

#11 7 years ago

Love what you have produced pinballsmith! Ive been wanting the clock millions mod for a long time now. Forgive me for being lost here but are you using a 3D printer and is the finished product coming from a printer? Just curious. I bet a professional printing shop could help with the stickers. Im quite the tinkerer when it comes to microcontrollers(like PICs) so if you need some light shows I may be able to help. Looks like youre on your way.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from sb80:

Love what you have produced pinballsmith! Ive been wanting the clock millions mod for a long time now. Forgive me for being lost here but are you using a 3D printer and is the finished product coming from a printer? Just curious. I bet a professional printing shop could help with the stickers. Im quite the tinkerer when it comes to microcontrollers(like PICs) so if you need some light shows I may be able to help. Looks like youre on your way.

Yeah, I'm having them printed. I tried molding them in the past, but I don't have the money to invest in quality equipment, so they came out with bubbles and defects all over the place (a little upsetting as I spent months on the wax versions). I'm using a company similar to Shapeways to have them made. Shapeways wouldn't give me a deal for a large quantity of items. Having them printed allows for much finer detail work and a much stronger and flexible build quality. A light show you say? That sounds like something I might consider when I get to that step. ^_^ I'll keep you in mind. The cameras are solid plastic and I'm stuck on how to drill out the holes for the LEDs so that I only have two wires coming out of the camera. Any ideas?

1 week later
#13 7 years ago

The project is a little delayed at the moment. The company that is making my models is running a little behind as I also have items for my jewelry business taking up room with my order. I'm expecting to have the final version of the clock finished in a few weeks. The camera model needs tweaking to make it less expensive to produce. I might make it completely hollow and without the back. It's costing almost $50 to have each one made in their cheapest material, so doing this to the model will allow me to produce them cheaper and also have them priced cheaper when I go to sell them.

#14 7 years ago

Here's the updated camera model. I'm still debating if I should hollow it out and remove the back to reduce the build cost.

IMG_1083.JPG IMG_1084.JPG

#15 7 years ago

Looks very nice!
What colour will it be when finished?

#16 7 years ago

I'll take it as it is. Drill and add my own LEDs

#17 7 years ago

Good news for your wallets! I managed to slash the price of producing the camera mod, so that means they will be priced much cheaper, and it gets better! I will be making a limited run of completely clear versions that will have a color changing LED installed. Again, the company making these for me is running behind on my order as I also needed to order extra pieces for my jewelry business at the last minute. I should have the camera prototype completely finished next week and then hopefully get these listed for sale the following week. Stay tuned...

#18 7 years ago

Moving to marketplace.

Looking good, do you have a website at all? If so, just post here for us to see.

3 weeks later
#19 7 years ago

Sorry about the extended delay. I finally got back into the project after a few weeks off. The prototype is almost finished, but I'm still playing around with the paint. What you see is a hammered brass finish currently on the clock mod. I might get some sand paper and smooth it out to minimize the number of holes in the finish. The lens was made using a kit from a local craft store and I'm upgrading the computer paper to a thicker card stock to accept darker ink colors (this will make it less fuzzy). The pictures came out horrible as always, but you can still make out what I've done to this point. Stay tuned...

IMG_0062.JPG IMG_0063.JPG

#20 7 years ago

Looking good

#21 7 years ago

Nice!
Looking forward to adding these to my TZ!

#22 7 years ago

Thats shaping up nicely!

1 week later
#23 7 years ago

I talked with the printing company about the project, and in response to my concern about the roughness of the surface area, they managed to introduce a new acrylic based material to hopefully eradicate the bumps and pours resulting from their regular printing process. I orderd about a dozen for paint testing. The originals were absorbing the paint and leaving gaps and holes in the finish. I bought several cheap flashlights to take apart to help distribute the lighting more evenly along the lense. I also picked up an amazing product from Michaels that will form the clock lense. Things are shaping up nicely and I hope to finally finish this project and have them up for sale soon. I'll need some help getting these things wired up for LEDs too if anyone's interested...

#24 7 years ago

Will they take a airball well?

Do you have mounting worked out?

Any rough pricing for the pair? We talking 30,90?..9.99?

Any pictures of the unit in a game yet?

Fun project, thanks for sharing your process with us.

Interesting to make mod like this for a game you don't show you currently own, is there a fun story behind this.. How many units do you need to sell to get a TZ?

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

Will they take a airball well?
Do you have mounting worked out?
Any rough pricing for the pair? We talking 30,90?..9.99?
Any pictures of the unit in a game yet?
Fun project, thanks for sharing your process with us.
Interesting to make mod like this for a game you don't show you currently own, is there a fun story behind this.. How many units do you need to sell to get a TZ?

I owned a TZ in the past and made primitive mods for it. I'm using similar specs from those older mods with these newer ones. The material is a fairly strong acrylic photopolymer and will take airballs well as it's somewhat flexible. I used to have these mounted with an L-bracket connected to the mini playfield wireform support bar, but I might use some heavy gauge aluminum wire so that it can mounted above the clock millions target. This way, people can get the position they desire without modification to their game. Pricing is really going to very on the amount of interest I get in this project. They're not cheap to have made with the 3D printer unless I order a large amount. The more interest, the less I can charge as I won't be needing to spend money on single units and instead buy them in batches. I work part-time at a shop that I think still has a TZ in the back. I'll snap some pictures once I get the new prototypes in the mail. And yes... I hope to buy another TZ with some of the money I make with this project. ^_^ Turning a profit is going to be hard though as I'm trying to make these affordable and easy to get... unlike the current TZ mods on the market. I think I've seen everything from pencil sharpeners to happy meal toys being sold for crazy amounts of money.

Thanks,
Colton

1 week later
#27 7 years ago

The camera won't be a plastic piece anymore. I've upgraded the design to be made in antique stainless steel. I'm getting so much crap over at RGP from people like Pacpin, that I'm now exclusively on Pinside. Usually I can ignore a troll, but he keeps filling my inbox up with hateful spam, it takes almost 15 minutes to go through it and delete it all. Any suggestions for handling this guy? Has anyone dealt with him before? I can block him, but that won't stop the emails.

Thanks,
Colton

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside