TZ "clock broken"?

By Chochi_ca

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I have replaced the clock board in my TZ. When I boot up my pin it is free of errors. After playing for a little while. Im thinking after the clock has cylcled the error comes back "clock broken".. Any ideas?

#2 12 years ago

Mine did it before and after swapping the clock board. It just happens some times. One of TZ's little mysteries, they say.

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from Chochi_ca:

comes back "clock broken"

The clock hand(minute hand) is not breaking the opto beams clearly through,Here's what you can do.
Wrap some electric tape around the minute hand tab so it will be a bit thicker and won't miss the optos.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

The clock hand (minute hand) is not breaking the opto beams clearly through,Here's what you can do.
Wrap some electric tape around the minute hand tab so it will be a bit thicker and won't miss the optos.

Mike is probably dead on. I'm guessing if you run test mode, you will see that the optos aren't being triggered consistently.

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Chochi_ca said:comes back "clock broken"
The clock hand(minute hand) is not breaking the opto beams clearly through,Here's what you can do.

100% agree with this. I had exactly the same issue and this is what I did. Mine has been perfect ever since.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Mike is probably dead on. I'm guessing if you run test mode, you will see that the optos aren't being triggered consistently.

Hi Brian,This is the same problem I think you had awhile back and the electric tape was a good fix while you were waiting for the Newly designed extended clock hand from Marcos.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

This is the same problem I think you had awhile back and the electric tape was a good fix while you were waiting for the Newly designed extended clock hand from Marcos.

Yep. The tape worked like a charm.

#8 12 years ago

I have dealt with this twice, and simply took the minute hand off, and bent it slightly forward. I had a replacement board from Marco, and found that after 2 months a LED went, and an opto went. When I took it apart to investigate, the soldering was a joke. I don't know who made these boards, but I have to suck all the solder off, and do it right. If either arm trick doesn't work, take a look at the solder connections for the suspect opto in test mode.

Leave it to Marco to buy such a POS... Should have bought the Rottendog.

#9 12 years ago

I had a similar issue when I did my swap. I took the clock assembly apart, took a q-tip with rubbing alcohol and cleaned all 8 opto switches. Haven't had a problem since. Might just be dirty optos. Good Luck!

#10 12 years ago

A better option than the tape would be a piece of heat shrink on there.

#11 12 years ago

Thanx for replies . Will try the tape.. Then if it works go With the heat shrink.. Might b more cosmetically pleasing.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from Chochi_ca:

Then if it works go With the heat shrink.. Might b more cosmetically pleasing.

Both are not even noticeable.

#13 12 years ago

I used heat shrink tubing on mine and it'd been perfect since. Tape may come undone over time. I think the tubing is a better long term approach but, both will work.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Tape may come undone over time

I've had tape on mine for three years now

#15 12 years ago

My 6 o'clock opto wasn't work-n the other nite,, I got inside and started mess-n ,, I wiggled the opto and i noticed the soldier on the back of 1-leg wasn't secure.. ( Fixed ) Gotta Dig-n & lOOk !!

1 week later
#16 12 years ago

I also just got a broken clock error, i see the comments about the taped/heat shrink fix. It makes the arm a little closer to the optos i am guessing. How about the length? Was also concidering taking the arm off and warming it up then bending it closer a bit. I will also be cleaning up the optos and hope that this fixes the error.

#17 12 years ago

Don't bend it. If anything buy a new hand and use the above methods. I replaced the board in mine and it wasn't working right so I bought all new parts including gears and housing. It happens....

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from dlbuller:

If anything buy a new hand and use the above methods

Marcos sells the new extended hand

#19 12 years ago

So where is the tape or shrink wrap added?

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from TZpinboter:

So where is the tape or shrink wrap added?

It is added to the minute hand,The part that passes trough the optos.

1 month later
#21 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Chochi_ca said:comes back "clock broken"

Is that the only way? It's a sorry estate of affairs when a table owner has to use tape.

#22 11 years ago

With that new CFTBL LCD creature mod and the Flynn's Arcade mod, how long before someone designs a solid-state clock replacement with an LCD screen?

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

With that new CFTBL LCD creature mod and the Flynn's Arcade mod, how long before someone designs a solid-state clock replacement with an LCD screen?

It could change its look or flash based on whether the clock LEDs are getting current, and it could have a cool animation when the green clock target is hit. Not sure I'd get one, but it's a clever idea for sure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.50
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-clock-broken and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.