• 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by pinmike
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Just got me a nice Twilight zone.
First time this machine.
When i turn it on, the clock turns back and forward, and then DMD writes "Clock is brocken"

Hmmm what now.

I have heard, if the clock is dead,then DONT BUY TZ!!! is it that bad??? how big of a problem is it?

Where is it good to look? where to start?

Extra info: This machine has not been played in over 15 years, everything looks like new.

#2 12 years ago

This is a common problem on TZ and the optos get cooked on the
clock board.Put the game in clock test and see if all the optos
register when the clock hands pass the optos.Keep your eye
on the screen too.Also,If the game has not been played in a
long time try reseating the two connectors located under the
clock this might clear up the error message.

#3 12 years ago

Mike my main pin-man.
Okey tryed the test menu, it registers back and forward 15-30-45-00 all 4 optoes register, fast and slow test.

What now?

Will it help to reseat those cabels you are refering to now`? should i try it?

#4 12 years ago

I highly recommend buying the video "In the Zone" at pinrepair.com for $8.00 its a 2 hour video dedicated to getting a TZ machine going, repairing clock and other misc. repairs + has some good humor. There is a lot of time dedicated to the clock, removal, tear down and repairing.

#5 12 years ago

Nice on that video... Thanks.

Do you all agree that getting the updated clock board is absolutely worth the relatively small investment. Mine works great and never give me trouble now.

#6 12 years ago

Make sure someone didn't plug the motor connector backwards on the EMI board under the playfield. Also, clean minute optos with a Q-Tip dipped in Windex. From sitting many years they will surely have a dust coating

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Will it help to reseat those cabels you are refering to now`? should i try it?

Yes, that's actually the first thing to try on these; the one on the right is usually the one of the two at fault. If this fixes your problem temporarily and it returns, get a new connector from GPE.

If this isn't the problem, Martin Reynolds advises to run your clock test for an hour. As things heat up, this will flush out an offending opto and confirm the problem. The 12 o'clock minute opto is usually the offender. Cleaning the opto the test identifies may help.

If the opto is bad, you might want to just opt for a replacement board; as the right optos are hard to find these days, and they're a little tricky to replace.

#8 12 years ago

There are several reproduction boards that are a drop-in replacement for the original. The original clock board almost never works on TZ.

#9 12 years ago

Actually on mine the 6 'o clock minute opto was driving me nuts. Found out it was because the previous owner greased the crap out of the gears with a thin clear grease that melted when the clock warmed up. The melting grease would run down the center shaft of the clock and drip onto the 6 o' clock opto, blocking it and causing a Broken Clock error. I cleaned it a few times with Q-Tip and Windex which would fix it for a couple hours. I finally had to disassemble the clock and thoroughly clean the grease out with alcohol. Works like a champ now, no problems whatsoever and all original from 1993.

#10 12 years ago

Hey guys.
Followed your adwises...
Dissambled the clock, cleaned it with glasscleaner, there was minimum dust in the clock, allmost nothing... cleaned all 8 optoes, reassambled it, turned it on, and got no error warning on the clock

Pressed new game, and it turned til 12:00. just dont have time to play, is this correct? at newgame start, should the clock show 12:00?

Looking forward to play the game tommorrow.

I noticed the clock gets pretty hot, what to doo? should i drill some holes, so it can cool a little down? or is it a dumm idea?

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Pressed new game, and it turned til 12:00. just dont have time to play, is this correct? at newgame start, should the clock show 12:00?

This is correct.

Quoted from DEN:

I noticed the clock gets pretty hot, what to doo? should i drill some holes, so it can cool a little down? or is it a dumm idea?

They sell upgraded boards with LEDs

#12 12 years ago

And Mike, THANK you again, you are great!!!

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

should i drill some holes, so it can cool a little down?

That is actually done quite a bit. Its done mostly to keep the housing from cracking from my understanding but can help vent some of the heat out of there. Congrats on the TZ, its a great game and by far my favorite hands down.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Hey guys.
Followed your advise...
Disassembled the clock, cleaned it with glass cleaner, there was minimum dust in the clock, almost nothing... cleaned all 8 optos, reassembled it, turned it on, and got no error warning on the clock
Pressed new game, and it turned til 12:00. just dont have time to play, is this correct? at new game start, should the clock show 12:00?
Looking forward to play the game tomorrow.
I noticed the clock gets pretty hot, what to do? should i drill some holes, so it can cool a little down? or is it a dumb idea?

Excellent. Now, the #86 lamps inside do generate some heat but so do the overdriven resistors in the opto circuit. You can add LED's yourself, if you like. Pinbits.com sells an inexpensive easy to install LED kit to do just that. All you need are decent soldering skills.

Don't drill the clock housing. This was done in the past to let heat escape but really it just looks bad. In home use I doubt you will leave the game on for 8 hours a day straight, no?

#15 12 years ago

My playtime is minimum, maby 1hour total pr day. And that includes jumping between my machines, sometimes i get so confused, so little time, so many nice games. My wife playes junk yard and ij. I jump between bk2k,,, totan, tz, ij, tom. My jy is like new, but i think it suckss...

Will this mean i should not bother about heat problem on the clock?

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

My playtime is minimum, maybe 1hour total pr day.
Will this mean i should not bother about heat problem on the clock?

At those rates of use? I wouldn't worry even a little bit.

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

At those rates of use? I wouldn't worry even a little bit.

+1,You could change out that board for the upgraded one in the future.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 12.95
$ 29.95
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 12.95
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 132.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-clock-brocken and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.