TZ - Check Fuses F115 and F116, J112, and Opto 12v Supply

By simonlindsay

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi,

Firstly, I was having the "Check fuses 114 and 115" error - spent loads of time looking at repair guides, online forums, YouTube, manual etc.

Everything came on when switched on, even the test mode was working. However, row 8 and column 8 of lamp matrix did not work. Previously, it also showed check switch 73, 75, 76, 81, 83, clock is broken when entering test mode (There may have been more).

Now, this evening, after all my research, I figured that I would check the switch matrix to try and eliminate some possible problems. I switched on the machine, everything lit up as normal, clock went round and then settled. I went to open the backbox and before I could touch anything, all hell broke loose, the DM showed all different tests, the volume started going higher and higher, it resetted and got louder and louder again - I switched it off straight away. Tried again, with coin door open, nothing worked on any of the four buttons and it went berserk again.

So it came up with "Check fuses F115 and F116, J112 and Opto 12v Supply".

I'm not fully savvy with electronics but I have been spending many hours learning about how to check U20, lamp matrix, switch matrix, soldering techniques, how caps work etc. etc.

All fuses have been checked (out of circuit) and are the correct amps. However, there is one slight question, F115 shows as 3/4A slow blow in manual and other resources, but is shown as fast blow on the pre-printed diagram in the back box?

Can anybody give me a step by step way to start to eliminate the problems? I have ordered a logic probe and I'm considering getting an ESR meter to check caps in circuit.

Many thanks in advance.

Simon

#3 3 years ago
#4 3 years ago

Thanks to LTG and Classe for the responses. I'll give them both a try and see what happens - fingers crossed.

3 months later
#5 3 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick update. Having looked really close at the CPU board, it had battery damage, I decided to purchase a new CPU board. The annoying thing is that a few years ago I bought a battery box to use off the board but never got around to fixing it. That £5 spent a few years ago could have saved me £240 today!

1 year later
#6 1 year ago

Hello, I was working on a TZ today that had that error message on the dmd and fuse f116 was blown. After some time diagnosing, I found that i was good to the 10-Switch Opto PCB board under the playfield. It turned out that the optos for switch 74, the Gumball popper was causing the fuse to blow. The optos looked good, but after replacing them, the game is up and running. Just a little FYI if you ever run into this issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 132.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 12.95
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 12.95
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 9.95
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-check-fuses-f115-and-f116j112-and-opto-12v-supply and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.