(Topic ID: 60413)

TZ: Check fuses F115 and F116, J112 and opto 12v supply

By prock

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider prock.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Hi all, I need some help!! I was having some intermittent problems with one of my switches on my TZ so I changed it out. When I turned the game back on I got the "check fuses F115 and F116, J112 and opto 12v supply" message. Everything was working just before I changed the switch. If I go into test mode all switches work (including my new switch) except the opto switches. The clock works as well.

Here are my observations so far:

checked fuses f115 and 116, both are good.
reseated J112, no change
reseated ribbon cable to MPU, no change
tp1 is 13.9vdc
tp2 is 5vdc
tp3 is 12vdc
I've got +13.9v on pin 2 of J116,117 and 118
I've also got +13.9v on the opto board in all 3 locations (took me a while but I managed to verify this). The LED on the opto board is lit.
LED7 on the driver board is lit.
LED3 kindof pulses irregularly on and off on the driver board. I'm not sure if that is normal.
infrared leds are working (verified this with a camera)
all opto switches are NOT working

I'm kindof at a loss now. I have a driver board in my WH2O I could swap in but thought I'd check with you guys first to see if there is anything that I've missed. I'm not sure what would cause all optos to suddenly stop working.

#3 10 years ago

hmm.. I've read the guide at pinwiki but I haven't seen Clay's guide at all. My fuses are good and it looks like I haven't lost 12v at all so I don't really suspect a power problem.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Try changing the ribbon cable that links the CPU, Fliptronic and Sound card

Will give that a shot tonight and report back.

Just to clarify... only the optos on the 10 opto board under the playfield are affected. All other optos/switches are working (clock optos are working, so are the flipper optos).

#7 10 years ago

Thanks for the link.. very interesting read. Following that thread I've got to the point where I'm pretty comfortable that I'm getting the proper voltage to the opto board because I've checked everything they have suggested. That and the IRs themselves are ON and are visible with a digital camera.

My next plan of action (after re-seating the ribbon cable) will be to unplug the switch matrix from the MPU and attempt to fire the switches with a jumper. If that is successful it must be the opto board itself.

#12 10 years ago

I socketed and replaced all LM339s on the opto board... I'm back in business. Thanks for the help!

#13 10 years ago

By the way, I didn't actually end up having to test the switch matrix to determine there was nothing wrong with the MPU. Because switches were registering in the same rows and columns as the opto switches I knew there was nothing wrong with the switch matrix. I also was getting +12v everywhere I should so it was definitely the opto board. Total cost of repair was ~$3 (3 ICs and 3 sockets).

#15 10 years ago

Yeah no kidding! I'm still at a loss as to how exactly I blew them in the first place cause I only worked on the machine with the power off. In any case I've found that a lot of people have had a similar experience with them as me. I also bought a few replacements to have in stock in case

2 months later
#17 10 years ago

I'd have to check on my W?D but I believe the opto board will be under the playfield. That is where it is on TZ at least.

Quoted from Texas_Tbone:

previous owner soldered wires directly to the back of the board instead of replacing the connectors

Yes fix this right away. If those wires touch for whatever reason you may have bigger problems on your hands. I personally know someone who purchased a game with a similar hack fix and it fried his transformer!!!

#22 10 years ago

I was always getting ~13V at the opto board. Everything else looks pretty good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 9.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.95
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 79.50
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider prock.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-check-fuses-f115-and-f116-j112-and-opto-12v-supply?tu=prock and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.