Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Deadpin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1804 (resized).JPG
IMG_1802 (resized).JPG
IMG_1803 (resized).JPG
IMG_1800 (resized).JPG
IMG_1799 (resized).JPG
IMG_1798 (resized).JPG
IMG_1788 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

Hey,

Anyone have some suggestions for things to ask, things to look out for when your in the market for a Twilight Zone?
Any tips appreciated!

#2 2 years ago

TZ was my first pin. I big undertaking for a newbie but worth it. Here are a few things to check.
1. Make sure the clock board works or has been changed. It is a common failure point in the original design of the game. The new clock boards are much better.
2. Make sure the eddy board senses the power ball which is the white ceramic ball. This is a common failure point. There are new reliable boards that are easy to install.
3. Make sure you look for a credit dot on the display. This will indicate that there are electronic errors. You can find the specific errors going into the test menu.
4. Make sure there is no battery leakage damage to the board in the back box. Hopefully there will already be a remote battery pack installed.
5. Look for hacks in the board in the back box.

That is all I can think of now. There are many other Pinsiders which are much more knowledgeable than myself. I will get the thread started,however.

Welcome to the forum.
I am sure you will see that the collective knowledge in this forum is amazing.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

TZ was my first pin. I big undertaking for a newbie but worth it. Here are a few things to check.
1. Make sure the clock board works or has been changed. It is a common failure point in the original design of the game. The new clock boards are much better.
2. Make sure the eddy board senses the power ball which is the white ceramic ball. This is a common failure point. There are new reliable boards that are easy to install.
3. Make sure you look for a credit dot on the display. This will indicate that there are electronic errors. You can find the specific errors going into the test menu.
4. Make sure there is no battery leakage damage to the board in the back box. Hopefully there will already be a remote battery pack installed.
5. Look for hacks in the board in the back box.
That is all I can think of now. There are many other Pinsiders which are much more knowledgeable than myself. I will get the thread started,however.
Welcome to the forum.
I am sure you will see that the collective knowledge in this forum is amazing.

Make sure the current owner shows you the test when it starts up - as Litzdoc noted, the credit dot will indicate issues - you can see the specific issues by starting the game up and going into the test menu. You can post here to ask questions if there's something specific.

Also check the ramps - TZ doesn't have a big huge plastic ramp like some games, but it can still crack and be a problem. Check the lock area (back right of playfield) to make sure the ball locks consistently. Check the rocket to make sure the ball is detected when it goes in there. Sometimes it just sits because the rollover switch isnt' activating.

I would add also to be aware of the differences between the production game and the Sample versions. The 3rd magnet mod has been installed by a lot of folks, as well as the Flashers mod. VERY few people have installed the flashers correctly. (see the TZ thread and Coyote's posts about this). A true Sample playfield also has some minor differences (mostly in color, but also on the Mini playfield and some of the signs), which could potentially increase the value to a diehard collector.

Also, don't count playfield mods in your pricing - adding a bunch of extra stuff to a game doesn't increase its value unless YOU want to pay for them. The next buyer may not care when you go to sell it.

... and get ready to learn a lot in a short amount of time! TZ is a very complex pin to start with.

#4 2 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys
Some of these I gathered from scanning the board.
Others I probably wouldn't have thought of.

I've played TZ on an emulator quite a bit, so I know a bit of how some of modes work... the next step is the real game.

#5 2 years ago

Look very closely at the PF for damage. eXpecially look around (under to the left) the scoop/rocket kick out...many a screw head has punctured the PF in that area.

#6 2 years ago

Take a look at the stand up target just to the left of the slot machine too, that thing gets pounded to death. They sell a beefier replacement for it but still something to check.

#7 2 years ago

Everything above first. Then look for cabinet fade. Also make sure the ball diverter to the playfield works in the upper left lane. I have seen many hack repairs that put screws through the playfield trying to remount that diverter.

#8 2 years ago

All that has been said above with the additional of most of what has been listed is fixable. Just try not to overpay (easier said than done). Worst case scenario is that you will own a great pin that needs some attention. Good luck with the hunt.

#9 2 years ago

Where people buy protectors for TZ are precisely where you should check when purchasing:

http://www.passionforpinball.com/tz.htm

#10 2 years ago

The opto board underneath takes a beating from heat, and is no longer available. Check it for being hacked and or cobbled together.

#11 2 years ago

Purchased a nice TZ today from jho159 !
Thanks everyone for your advice.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

Purchased a nice TZ today from jho159 !
Thanks everyone for your advice.

Lets see some pics please.

#13 2 years ago

Congrats! I really want to get a TZ also! Such a great pin!

#14 2 years ago

Here are some pics. Not the best lighting unfortunately.
Solid machine, has Pinsound and LEDs, not much else, which is fine by me (I can mod it myself that way)

IMG_1788 (resized).JPG

IMG_1798 (resized).JPG

IMG_1799 (resized).JPG

IMG_1800 (resized).JPG

IMG_1803 (resized).JPG

IMG_1802 (resized).JPG

IMG_1804 (resized).JPG

#15 2 years ago

Uff man hope you didn't pay too much for that thing it's a frikkin beater

JK man welcome to the club!

#16 2 years ago

Hey Deadpin,

Your new TZ looks real sweet. I am wondering what it cost you and also if there are any others out there like it for sale that you may have come across?
I bought a TZ as my third SS pin and I was not personally appreciative of the Lawler flow at the time so I sold it. Now I would like to add it back in since I think I am better player and ready for it. Besides, DI is months away....and I have the itch.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

Here are some pics. Not the best lighting unfortunately.
Solid machine, has Pinsound and LEDs, not much else, which is fine by me (I can mod it myself that way)

Looks like you need the reinforced target next to the slot scoop. It will cause air balls and break plastics.

#18 2 years ago

Welcome to the club. You will love the pin. You have a nice one. Love the topper. I need to get one like that.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Hey Deadpin,
Your new TZ looks real sweet. I am wondering what it cost you and also if there are any others out there like it for sale that you may have come across?
I bought a TZ as my third SS pin and I was not personally appreciative of the Lawler flow at the time so I sold it. Now I would like to add it back in since I think I am better player and ready for it. Besides, DI is months away....and I have the itch.

HI Deadpin,
I like you did not appreciate TZ initially and sold it off. It was my first real pin. I ended up buying it back a year later. I now appreciate the thought behind the layout of Lawlor's pins. I added Funhouse 2 weeks ago. Another one of his pins that I have never owned but wanted to try. Keep looking for your TZ. The hunt is part of the fun. If I see any TZs I will PM you.
Litz

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

HI Deadpin,
I like you did not appreciate TZ initially and sold it off. It was my first real pin. I ended up buying it back a year later. I now appreciate the thought behind the layout of Lawlor's pins. I added Funhouse 2 weeks ago. Another one of his pins that I have never owned but wanted to try. Keep looking for your TZ. The hunt is part of the fun. If I see any TZs I will PM you.
Litz

Thanks Bud Like minds....

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Looks like you need the reinforced target next to the slot scoop. It will cause air balls and break plastics.

It came with a mod (not installed) that should take care of that issue
Hoping to get some cliffy's too, if I can locate a set.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 209.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside