Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TZ_flashlamp_circuit.jpg
TZ_flasher_wiring.jpg
TZ-Flasher.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I was hoping the knowledgeable people on this forum might help me with a rather unique problem with my TZ. Unique in the sense that I searched the archives and did not encounter anything similar.

I'm having problems with both my Bumpers and Mini playfield flashers, solenoid 17 and 19 respectively. The problem however, is not that they don't work. On power-up of the machine, they work just fine. However, as time goes on, the intervals between flashes increases and the intensity per flash decreases. I've attached a video of Bumpers set to flash continuously through the test menu, to illustrate the problem:

Consulting the manual led me to believe the problem could be caused by Q42 and Q38. With help from a skilled brother, we replaced both Q42 and Q38, as well as pre-transistors Q41 and Q37. However, the problem still persists. Interestingly, the flashers do seem to work somewhat longer now, though I have not timed this, and so it might just be my perception.

As far as it being a more general problem (for instance with J125), the power payoff (sol 18) and upper left ramp (sol 20) seem to act normally. When set to continuous flash in the test menu, they do increase the interflash interval somewhat, but they keep on flashing, instead of dying out like sol 17 and 19 do. Out of the four, 17 and 19 are the only two solenoids that are driving 2 lamps per solenoid.

Based on my rather basic electrical and physics skills, the problem seems to be related to a capicator of some kind. Am I correct in this assumption? And what would be my best course of action from here on out?

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance for the input!

TZ-Flasher.jpgTZ-Flasher.jpg TZ_flasher_wiring.jpgTZ_flasher_wiring.jpg TZ_flashlamp_circuit.jpgTZ_flashlamp_circuit.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Bump. Interesting problem. Hope somebody knows what's wrong.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from cogito:

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance for the input!

See the ribbon cable between the CPU and solenoid driver board ? Try reseating both ends a couple times and see if things improve.

LTG

#4 11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion LTG, I'll give it a try a soon as I have access to my machine again (semi-national celebration day, which I'm sure Apekop is also familiar with). I'll report back in roughly 16 hours. Just to be precise, you're suggesting reseating the ribbon cable between the cpu and power driver board, correct?
Thanks for the suggestion!

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from cogito:

Just to be precise, you're suggesting reseating the ribbon cable between the cpu and power driver board, correct?

Yes.

LTG : )

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

See the ribbon cable between the CPU and solenoid driver board ? Try reseating both ends a couple times and see if things improve.

Alright guys, reseating the ribbon cable noticeably increased the time before the bumper flasher dies out. It now takes roughly twice as long as the previous video. Thank you very much for the suggestion, LTG! Even so, the problem persists: the flasher starts off normally, followed by an increase in interflash interval, followed by a decrease in intensity.

Some thing worth noting: when sol 17 is tested until it no longer flashes, switching to a test of sol 18 results in sol 18 flashing, as expected. However, when switching over to sol 19, it never flashes. In other words, it seems to continue where 17 left off in the test. For instance, when 17 is tested until it flashes only weakly, switching over to sol 19 will cause it to start off flashing weakly, instead of starting normally.

I'm interested in any further suggestions anyone might have. I'm eager to get to the bottom this.
Cheers!

#7 11 years ago

Morning bump. Does anyone have an idea what to check next? Has anyone ever encountered a similar problem?

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from cogito:

Morning bump. Does anyone have an idea what to check next? Has anyone ever encountered a similar problem?

New ribbon cable, reflow solder on the pins on the board the ribbon cable plugs onto. Very carefully as they are tiny and close together.

LTG : )

#9 11 years ago

Thanks for the help Lloyd. I'll focus on the components of that connection, and keep everyone posted as soon as the problem's fixed. Could I trouble you with one last question in the meantime: How did you suspect it was the connection between the boards?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

10,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 132.00
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-bumper-flasher-slowly-dying-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.