TZ booting issue and/or keeps restarting

By marioparty34

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I am turning to the pinside group for some trouble shooting expertise.

The easiest way to describe the issue is by video.

My game either doesn't boot at all even though it looks like it is trying to (video link), or in the middle of a game it reboots and looks like the video link.

I have re-seated all the connectors and the game rom. None of the fuses are blown. Please advise on what is causing this and how to fix it.

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

I'd go through the reset check list to narrow down what needs fixing.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

Thanks LTG. I went down the list of what I can do and wasn't able to identify the issue. Guess it's time to call a professional.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Guess it's time to call a professional.

Watch what they do, ask a few questions, don't get in their way. Then you'll learn more about your game and may help you in the future.

LTG : )

#5 4 years ago

Great advice!

#6 4 years ago

http://www.kahr.us/daughterboard.html

A fix, but not a solution.

#7 4 years ago

I see you're in TX.....by chance is this happening now that your air conditioning is probably kicking on? Have you checked the wall voltage? I doubt that's it, but stranger things have happened.

When it happens during gameplay, are you flipping both the flippers at the same time (drawing a load) or does it just happen?

#8 4 years ago

I will look into it.
Thx!

#9 4 years ago

Have you tried reseating the connectors? Specialy the Z-connector?

#10 4 years ago

Ditto...These do work but it's not a total fix. I've used them in the past and have a couple around for backup.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

And J101, J102, J114, and J210.

#12 4 years ago

Having same issue.. but with rottendog installed. Following to see what your solution ends up being! Good luck wish I could provide some advice

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I see you're in TX.....by chance is this happening now that your air conditioning is probably kicking on? Have you checked the wall voltage? I doubt that's it, but stranger things have happened.
When it happens during gameplay, are you flipping both the flippers at the same time (drawing a load) or does it just happen?

I did try a different outlet on a separate breaker. Didn't work. Appreciate the out of the box thinking.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Yes. Didn't work.
Thx!

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

And J101, J102, J114, and J115.

Yes. Didn't work.
Thx!

#16 4 years ago

Here's my quick and dirty list of things to do regarding resets.

1. Eliminate any plugstrips, splitters, extension cords, etc.
2. Reseat J101, J114, J210
3. Reseat Z-Connector

Still having resets?

4. Replace J101, J114, J210 headers AND connectors.

Still having resets?

5. Replace Z-connector

Still having resets?

6. Replace C4
7. Replace C5

Still having resets?

8. Replace Q1 voltage regulator with an ezSBC LM323K regulator. https://www.ezsbc.com/index.php/psu5.html#.XQp_FOhKhaQ

#17 4 years ago

J102 or J210?

#18 4 years ago

Yes. Didn't work.
Thx!

Sorry, I meant J210 on the MPU, not J115.

#19 4 years ago

J102 doesn't have anything to do with the 5V. J102 is for solenoids, flashlamps, flippers.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

J102 doesn't have anything to do with the 5V. J102 is for solenoids, flashlamps, flippers.

then you mean J210, not J201?

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

then you mean J210, not J201?

Sorry was going from memory...changed. Thanks!

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Here's my quick and dirty list of things to do regarding resets.
1. Eliminate any plugstrips, splitters, extension cords, etc.
2. Reseat J101, J114, J210
3. Reseat Z-Connector
Still having resets?
4. Replace J101, J114, J210 headers AND connectors.
Still having resets?
5. Replace Z-connector
Still having resets?
6. Replace C4
7. Replace C5
Still having resets?
8. Replace Q1 voltage regulator with an ezSBC LM323K regulator. https://www.ezsbc.com/index.php/psu5.html#.XQp_FOhKhaQ

I like this order. If you have any improvements at all with step 2 and 3, steps 4 and/or 5 should help a lot.

#23 4 years ago

There is so many things to try listed here I'm almost scared to post anything but I'm going to anyway as I just cant help myself.

EDIT: <paragraph removed as I really spoke my mind here on what I read in this topic>

WARNING RANT COMING!

You know whats missing here...

There is not a single voltage measurement posted from the OP nor requested by anyone. The best that was done was he was pointed in the right direction by LTG so its assumed that these measurements are good as the OP posted he performed the procedure and found no issues; yet everyone assumes that there is a low voltage problem because they seen it all before and go through all the steps to correct this issue with absolutely ZERO voltage measurements. Based on this post:

Thanks LTG. I went down the list of what I can do and wasn't able to identify the issue. Guess it's time to call a professional.

I feel we did nothing to assist the OP to understand or diagnose his issue as his problem may actually be as simple as a loose ASIC ... but there is no way to know

END RANT.

I'm just going to ask three question of marioparty34 and am not going to post any more in this thread.

1) What was your voltage measurements at TP2 on the Power Driver board?
2) What was your measurement at pin 32 of the game ROM, or on pin 2 (center pin) of U10?
3) If you remove all connectors EXCEPT J210 from the CPU board, does it give you the same reset sequence as seen in your video or does D20 blink normally?

#24 4 years ago

Pin_guy,

Thanks for teaching me how to use a voltmeter offline. Here are my results.

2) What was your measurement at pin 32 of the game ROM, or on pin 2 (center pin) of U10?

3) If you remove all connectors EXCEPT J210 from the CPU board, does it give you the same reset sequence as seen in your video or does D20 blink normally?

It blinks normally.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

There is so many things to try listed here I'm almost scared to post anything but I'm going to anyway as I just cant help myself.
EDIT: &lt;paragraph removed as I really spoke my mind here on what I read in this topic&gt;
WARNING RANT COMING!
You know whats missing here...
There is not a single voltage measurement posted from the OP nor requested by anyone. The best that was done was he was pointed in the right direction by LTG so its assumed that these measurements are good as the OP posted he performed the procedure and found no issues; yet everyone assumes that there is a low voltage problem because they seen it all before and go through all the steps to correct this issue with absolutely ZERO voltage measurements. Based on this post:

I feel we did nothing to assist the OP to understand or diagnose his issue as his problem may actually be as simple as a loose ASIC ... but there is no way to know
END RANT.
I'm just going to ask three question of marioparty34 and am not going to post any more in this thread.

The problem is that most voltage measurements in these situations are not helpful. Voltages are usually fine until something causes a dip which triggers the reset. Unless you have a scope you have little chance of actually seeing the voltage dip. Most meters aren't nearly sensitive enough. So in a lot of cases it is simply easier to treat resets symptomatically.

#26 4 years ago

Update: The daughterboard got me up and running...still digging for the root cause. Tech coming soon.

Thanks everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-booting-issue-and-or-keeps-restarting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.