New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 248969)

TZ Ball Stuck at bottom gumball

By djsolzs

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by djsolzs
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F53438BB-6F16-4261-8DF9-07C5E1810F92 (resized).jpeg
30408566-BD98-4227-8D53-348F3649763E (resized).jpeg
1CB0E8B6-5F43-4899-A8E5-90594864CE8B (resized).jpeg
tzgum1 (resized).PNG
TZ3 (resized).jpg
20181010_151212 (resized).jpg
20181010_151018 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).png
TZ2 (resized).jpg
TZ4 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

The balls drop. The plastic piece is in the globe. I think this issue is that the weight of the balls over time have sagged the clear plastic/rubber in the ball diverter.

Removing the balls and weight allow the ball to drop out.

Any ideas on this? Do I have to buy a whole new gumball separator? Anyone mess with this (see pictures)

TZ2 (resized).jpgTZ4 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Nothing should be clear there. I'm not sure if that IS clear, or just how the light reflected the red and black to make it appear so.

Taken from the manual:
Untitled (resized).png
Item #7 is what the balls drop in to, and it is red.
It's attached to #12 which is black, via #6. #13 sits under the frame, is white, and connected to the motor and #6 shaft.

There's no clear plastic, or rubber in #7 there. It sounds like your gumball machine has been hacked, modified, or operator-fixed. I would take it apart, clean everything and put it all back together following the manual, and then see what you got.

#3 1 year ago

I agree with what the previous post suggested; take it apart, clean everything while comparing to the manual to verify there are no hacks made to the assembly. If any plastic have dents or is broken then replace it.

I also reacted to you writing about rubber, there are no rubber parts in the gumball machine.

#4 1 year ago

There are no rubber parts at all in the gumball assembly; if you have one it's a hack and should be removed.

I agree with the previous poster; disassemble it and clean all parts while looking for dents, broken plastic or anything else that shouldn't be there.

Here are some pics from when I last serviced my assembly for reference.

The motor turns the white wheel above it, which in turn have a plastic prong that moves inside the black cross-shaped plastic and turns it. The black plastic is fixed to the axle that in turn rotate the red plastic with four holes in it, making one ball to drop down below and roll out to the PF.

20181010_151018 (resized).jpg20181010_151212 (resized).jpg
#5 1 year ago

I see what you guys are saying thanks for chiming in. But there seems to be some type of clear plastic or something in the hole (which may end up being something else).

When the gumballs are loaded if I put my finger up where the balls are resting thats where it seems to sag. With a ball stuck in there I can push up on the resting balls and they free up the ball underneath. You can see the dimple in my picture where the balls had been resting and it sagged down.

Does this make any sense?

TZ3 (resized).jpg
#6 1 year ago

That clear plastic in the hole is the problem - it isn't "stock", and doesn't belong there.

#7 1 year ago

All of the balls when filled sit up in the globe stacked up under that plastic part - are they supposed to all fall down underneath? Im surprised its even worked at all with that plastic in there

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

All of the balls when filled sit up in the globe stacked up under that plastic part - are they supposed to all fall down underneath? Im surprised its even worked at all with that plastic in there

It's pretty much a standard method of how gumball machines work. Assuming you have three balls in the gumball machine, the bottom ball rests in that little pocket. When the game wants to dispense a gumball, item #7 in my image, and shown in the second picture of @lhyrgoif 's post, rotates to counter clockwise. It rolls the call a quarter of a turn, where it is then free and rolls out to the playfield.
Your gumball machine is not assembled correctly - like mentioned, take it apart and rebuild it.

#9 1 year ago

Got it thanks I will rebuild and clean!

Quoted from Coyote:

It's pretty much a standard method of how gumball machines work. Assuming you have three balls in the gumball machine, the bottom ball rests in that little pocket. When the game wants to dispense a gumball, item #7 in my image, and shown in the second picture of @lhyrgoif 's post, rotates to counter clockwise. It rolls the call a quarter of a turn, where it is then free and rolls out to the playfield.
Your gumball machine is not assembled correctly - like mentioned, take it apart and rebuild it.

#10 1 year ago

Let is know what you find, please!

#11 1 year ago

Yes I will planning to work on it this week!

1 month later
#12 1 year ago

Ive had some issues with removing the Gumball machine and I am hosting a local tournament group so have been hesitant to mess with this too much because it works most of the time with a little nudge.

BUT - I did start the process of digging in to this and I think the red plastic inside of the bottom of the Gumball machine is broken (the front half of the enclosure right behind where the yellow knob turns internal) and someone tried to put a piece of plastic in to prevent the balls from just falling down when they stack up.

Thats why in my picture from top down in the front hole (not the hole the ball actually exits from but the hole that holds the ball until the wheel turns) is clear soft plastic.

Im not sure what to do with this I imagine this part would be very hard to find...

tzgum1 (resized).PNG
#13 1 year ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Ive had some issues with removing the Gumball machine and I am hosting a local tournament group so have been hesitant to mess with this too much because it works most of the time with a little nudge.
BUT - I did start the process of digging in to this and I think the red plastic inside of the bottom of the Gumball machine is broken (the front half of the enclosure right behind where the yellow knob turns internal) and someone tried to put a piece of plastic in to prevent the balls from just falling down when they stack up.
Thats why in my picture from top down in the front hole (not the hole the ball actually exits from but the hole that holds the ball until the wheel turns) is clear soft plastic.
Im not sure what to do with this I imagine this part would be very hard to find...[quoted image]

Can you grab a shot of the other half?

#14 1 year ago

I will post the pics of the "fix"

#15 1 year ago

FWIW, I found the front half replacement part- probably gonna need both halves though

http://revolutionarypinball.com/proddetail.php?prod=tz_gumball_front

#17 1 year ago

Great find thanks!

Quoted from Seatmandan:

FWIW, I found the front half replacement part- probably gonna need both halves though
http://revolutionarypinball.com/proddetail.php?prod=tz_gumball_front

#18 1 year ago

Here is a pic from the out hole of gumball

1CB0E8B6-5F43-4899-A8E5-90594864CE8B (resized).jpeg
#19 1 year ago

Couple more I don’t get why the hole

30408566-BD98-4227-8D53-348F3649763E (resized).jpegF53438BB-6F16-4261-8DF9-07C5E1810F92 (resized).jpeg
#20 1 year ago

well, it’s definitely the front half. the hole was probably drilled at some point to circumvent a bad geneva switch/rotor. or even motor. fixable for sure!!!

EDIT: after thinking about it, it was probably to circumvent a bad motor by allowing the popped up ball to pass right through without stopping

#21 1 year ago

I left the black plastic piece in there - I took the duct tape and other tape off and cleaned it. As a temporary fix placed a piece of mylar on the bottom and top of that whole and it is holding well.

Anyone know of a good option for repairing this or do I pony up the 100 bucks for the housing? The hole at least was made cleanly.

#22 1 year ago

I've done plastic repair on old dot matrix printer cases by simply using a soldering iron to melt a piece of plastic from 2 broken plastic shells together, then sanding them down. However, you'd still need some source for a piece of red plastic large enough to fill the hole, and I can't be certain that kind of repair would stand up to the weight of pinballs running across it. Your best bet is probably replacing the part.

#23 1 year ago

Get a replacement housing and get rid of that problem forever.

If you do some half assed repair it will probably keep giving you problems in the future and as its a PITA to access/remove the gumball machine its just not worth it.

#24 1 year ago

If I had a sample, I could do up a 3D model and print new ones. Or even just some basic measurements for a cosmetic piece like that would be all I'd need.

-Hans

#25 1 year ago

I went ahead and purchased from the link Seatmandan posted - especially since it was the last one. I just hope it fits ok with the original back housing I have no idea if it is a repro or not. Thanks for the support guys

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside