• Latest reply 6 years ago by Fanatic
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

All,

Turn on machine
Press start
Game starts, but ball shooter lane feeder won't pop the 1st ball to the plunger...
Game goes into ball hunt mode. Pops every solenoid except the feeder!

Tests show all trough switches OK & ball shooter lane feeder tests OK.

Nothing has changed since the last game so I'm totally confused by this one...

HELP and ADVICE gratefully received...

Paul.

#2 6 years ago

The coil fires the launcher ? If so then look at it. It might need a gentle bend on the end that hits the ball. To hit it more squarely, instead of a glancing blow with no power.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Also check your trough optos.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinmeister:

Also check your trough optos.

On TZ ?

You help him find them.

#5 6 years ago

Nope, the solenoid doesn't fire to push the ball up and into the (manual) plunger trough...

It works in test, just not in 'game'... ?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

It works in test, just not in 'game'... ?

Correct number of balls in the game ? 5 steel and one power ball ?

Get them all out and then put on the playfield and let drain and let the game reload them ?

Still not work ? Then go into switch edge test, roll the balls onto the ball trough, see if one switch closes and opens up again.

If coil works in test, then you have a switch issue. If game won't start, it thinks a ball is missing.

#7 6 years ago

I just finished solving a similar problem.

There can be several issues at work.
What I did:
I first removed the apron - exposing the entire works. This area gets filthy and I guarantee it's in need of a cleaning.
Next, I removed the ramp and ball guide assembly - everything cleaned and polished with cleaner ( I just use the Novus 2).

At the end of the "v" shaped ramp - just before it serves the ball to the shooter lane - there will be a curved kickout lever (from beneath the playfield). Check the "true-ness" of this piece of metal. The curved, flat, kickout actuator arm can become deformed and conflict with the switch extension lever located right next to it.

While you're in there, check the alignment of the auto-fire kicker, shooter lane diverter gate assembly, and (carefully, gently) re-torque all of the screws you can get a wrench on. If anything is stripped, use the tooth-pick/glue trick to re-fill the hole and start again fresh.

When were your coil assemblies last rebuilt?
Consider at least replacing the coil sleeves for everything under the apron and polishing the pistons.

#8 6 years ago

Ok - for some reason the problem has gone away...

Two potential scenarios:

1 > I had taken a single steel ball out to clean and left it on the side hidden in the cloth. This had slipped my mind completely...
I run the game with 9.4CH, 4 balls in the Gumball and therefore 7balls in total. That's how I bought the game and it wouldn't work correctly with 6 (4 in GBall, 2locked, 1 in play or final lock). Comments on that alone are welcome. Somehow 1 ball missing maybe caused it a problem, but I'm not convinced because 2 out of the 3 trough balls were loaded and detected.

2 > The coin door was open, there's a door switch which may have a solenoid neutralising effect, but i can't seem to prove it!

I will double check the things you all mention, especially rebuild and polish of anything under the apron as you're quite right; it needs it.

TZ's got a fair amount to keep on top of! Kind of puts me off buying a STTNG!

Thanks all.

#9 6 years ago

2 > The coin door was open, there's a door switch which may have a solenoid neutralising effect, but i can't seem to prove it!

Single switch ? No that is memory protect.

Some later TZ's have a high power interlock to kill coil power when the coin door is open, then you'd have two switches there. ( and some TZ's have the high power interlock there but not wired in )

#10 6 years ago

LMAO @ "check your trough optos"... classic example of why people that have no clue what they're talking about should not offer repair advice..

#11 6 years ago

TZ is definitely one of those pins where you shouldn't probably make repair suggestions unless you've owned one!

Finicky little buggers, they are!

#12 6 years ago

I run the game with 9.4CH, 4 balls in the Gumball and therefore 7balls in total. That's how I bought the game and it wouldn't work correctly with 6 (4 in GBall, 2locked, 1 in play or final lock). Comments on that alone are welcome.

This is interesting to me too. If you have a link to the ruleset, I would like to take a look. I've never seen a revision which allows more than 6 balls in total (5- steel, 1- powerball).

TZ's got a fair amount to keep on top of! Kind of puts me off buying a STTNG!
Thanks all.

No way I would allow a little quirk like this to put me off of buying another game just like it. I hope that you can catch onto the "neat factor" in working on the games as well as playing them. Once you get that machine running strait, it will give you many long hours of trouble-free enjoyment. Just give a thorough cleaning and some TLC adjustments.

Also, you can clean some optos under the ball apron - should you so desire (lol).
The autofire kicker optos could probably use a cleaning.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Santa Clara, CA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside