Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

874C0904-903A-491E-93DC-0DE268BFC6F8 (resized).jpeg
A911652F-4036-4A15-9228-7E70771CAE8B (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

Can anyone help with the TZ error “Ball Popper Opto is stuck”? It’s got me stumped a bit as it appears I have power going to the Ball Popper Opto.

A911652F-4036-4A15-9228-7E70771CAE8B (resized).jpegA911652F-4036-4A15-9228-7E70771CAE8B (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

Have you tried cleaning the opto? A dirty one could be "stuck" closed.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Barr993:

Have you tried cleaning the opto? A dirty one could be "stuck" closed.

I did. I’ll clean all of them...it appears none of the optos are working after trying to play a game on it

#4 3 years ago

First step to fault finding is finding out what works and what doesn't.
Starting to look like an Opto Board. I've had an LM339 go bad on my WH20 Opto Board.

Don't be lazy, go into the test Menu and spend 10 Minutes testing all your opto switchs

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from WH20_Buzz:

First step to fault finding is finding out what works and what doesn't.
Starting to look like an Opto Board. I've had an LM339 go bad on my WH20 Opto Board.
Don't be lazy, go into the test Menu and spend 10 Minutes testing all your opto switchs

I don’t see any Opto switches in the matrix on TZ

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

I don’t see any Opto switches in the matrix on TZ

Well it has plenty

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well it has plenty

yea but like other titles, for whatever reason the ball popper Opto and others isn’t in that matrix

#8 3 years ago

It will have an Opto Board underneath the Playfield.
Looking at the Manual it has nothing short of 4 different opto Boards scattered everywhere.
Its a complicated Machine TZ.

From what I can tell the Machine is bitching about Switch 74 Gumball Popper.

Its part of the switch Matrix but it steps through the custom 10 channel Opto Board.
If the LED on the Opto Board is lit and the wiring is Good and the Opto Emmitter and reciever are OK then the relevant LM339 on the opto board is faulty.
Not sure if you can swap plugs on the opto board for fault finding but I'm guessing you could, if you are on the ball.

I assume you have checked that the Ball Popper is not actually getting stuck and blocking the Opto. These Machine are often smarter than the Owners..lol

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from WH20_Buzz:

It will have an Opto Board underneath the Playfield.
Looking at the Manual it has nothing short of 4 different opto Boards scattered everywhere.
Its a complicated Machine TZ.
From what I can tell the Machine is bitching about Switch 74 Gumball Popper.
Its part of the switch Matrix but it steps through the custom 10 channel Opto Board.
If the LED on the Opto Board is lit and the wiring is Good and the Opto Emmitter and reciever are OK then the relevant LM339 on the opto board is faulty.
Not sure if you can swap plugs on the opto board for fault finding but I'm guessing you could, if you are on the ball.
I assume you have checked that the Ball Popper is not actually getting stuck and blocking the Opto. These Machine are often smarter than the Owners..lol

Yes. The popper is not getting stuck. The matrix claims that that switch is a white/yellow green/violet...I can’t find any switch on that corner of the playfield that matches those color wires....this is frustrating...it’s causing other optos down the line to not function either as a result

#10 3 years ago

Is the LED light on the 10 channel Opto Board

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from WH20_Buzz:

yes it is

#12 3 years ago

6 hours in so far and still no luck. This one is making me regret buying this game

#13 3 years ago

6 hours in so far and still no luck. This one is making me regret buying this game

these problems are always super frustrating, and make you want to throw the game out the window. but trust me, with time everything is fixable. step away for a few hours to a day, maybe do some switch matrix/opto reading up, have a night's sleep, and come back to it with fresh eyes. you're not going to find the solutions when you feel you must.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from WH20_Buzz:

Now the LED is no longer lit. I did remove the c1 to check for corrosion and re-soldered it back on

#15 3 years ago

Ok so an update. Reflowed the solder. Got the LED relight. Every opto on J1 is bad so it makes me believe that LM339 is bad on the opto board. I don’t have the skills unfortunately to resolder a new one. I’ll prob just buy a new opto board

#16 3 years ago

Ok so an update. Reflowed the solder. Got the LED relight. Every opto on J1 is bad so it makes me believe that LM339 is bad on the opto board. I don’t have the skills unfortunately to resolder a new one. I’ll prob just buy a new opto board

Every opto on J1 is non functional. Leaves me to believe that the opto board is the issue

874C0904-903A-491E-93DC-0DE268BFC6F8 (resized).jpeg874C0904-903A-491E-93DC-0DE268BFC6F8 (resized).jpeg
#17 3 years ago

Its actually fairly common for the LM339's to go bad on Opto boards. Now they are 30 years old and no-one bother to change out the Electro Caps on any of these and other supplementary Boards.
Looking like I was spot on yet again.

I'd love to fix it, I'm in Australia

#18 3 years ago

Definitely reflow the solder joints on the headers because they often are cracked. Depending on your skills, it should cost about $5 (plus another $5 for shipping) to recap and replace the 339's on the opto pcb.

#19 3 years ago

Every opto on J1 is non functional. Leaves me to believe that the opto board is the issue[quoted image]

Can you test the lm339 using this pinwiki method https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#7_Opto_Board_Testing

Or zaza test process https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-trough-opto-issue#post-5088875

These will verify if the lm339 is bad

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from amxfc3s:

Definitely reflow the solder joints on the headers because they often are cracked. Depending on your skills, it should cost about $5 (plus another $5 for shipping) to recap and replace the 339's on the opto pcb.

I actually ordered a new opto board that has replaceable ICs. I’ll send this one out. I unfortunately don’t have the soldering skills to change out the 339s

#21 3 years ago

Problem was resolved with a new opto board from pinball life. Initially I tried to swap out all 3 LM339s but that didn’t solve it. That board is officially in the trash can lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 132.00
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 79.50
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-ball-popper-opto-is-stuck?hl=wh20_buzz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.