Twilight Zone Autokicker Firing on Startup

By MiamiRedSkin

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi All -

I could use some help Of course, I was tweaking something on my TZ and now I have an issue that I don't know how to fix. When I start up the game, the autokicker immediately starts firing over and over and again. I hear a slight humming "buzz" as it keeps firing. It will do this maybe 8-9 times, then sometimes, the lock kick-out coil fires once or twice, then everything will stop. If I try and start a game, the shooter lane diverter will be in the wrong position, and a ball won't kick out to play. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I check F105 fuse and it's fine.

#2 6 years ago

Go over what you tweaked and look for any switches or wiring you shorted.

And go into Tests - Switch Edge - and see if anything is closed that should be open.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

And go into Tests - Switch Edge - and see if anything is closed that should be open.

All I did was take off the apron and clean off the trough kicker. No soldering or wires were involved ... hmm

#4 6 years ago

That kicker will fire when the Autofire opto is blocked.
Likely in your cleaning, you pulled or snapped a wire leading to the opto, which makes the game thing there's a ball in there, and it's trying to clear it out by firing the kicker. (The 'buzzing' sound is *likely* the shooter diverter opening.)

GO into switch test, and look at switch #72. Without a ball in there, it should be "Closed", not "Open (A)".

Check wires attached to both the opto (on one side of the autofire bracket) and the sender (on the other side of the autofire bracket.)

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Quoted from Coyote:

That kicker will fire when the Autofire opto is blocked.
Likely in your cleaning, you pulled or snapped a wire leading to the opto, which makes the game thing there's a ball in there, and it's trying to clear it out by firing the kicker. (The 'buzzing' sound is *likely* the shooter diverter opening.)
GO into switch test, and look at switch #72. Without a ball in there, it should be "Closed", not "Open (A)".
Check wires attached to both the opto (on one side of the autofire bracket) and the sender (on the other side of the autofire bracket.)

Thank you for both your help! I guess when I put back the apron I misaligned something, but everything is good to go!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 22.50
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 12.95
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-autokicker-firing-on-startup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.