Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Pinsounds
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

A friend gave me a heads up on a TZ at a pawn shop here in Columbia MO (family pawn on bus loop). I looked at it and thought about it but just don't have the money to blow on it comfortably. Thought I would give a heads up to other board members in hopes of finding it a good home.
The lowdown:
-$6500 listed, though the guy said he would take 5500 after i said i would think about it. Could probably get it a little lower.
-PF in good condition. Has mylar on it which is getting pretty dirty/foggy.
-very dusty and needs a good cleaning.
-clock works though isn't bolted down tight.
-cab fade on the right side.
-german deutsch mark coin door.
-some lights out.
-checked the test menu a little. One silenoid sounded a little week but not sure what it was used for exactly so not sure if its an issue.
-didn't get to play it (as some other dip shit employee jumped on it after i looked at it and was talking to the first guy). Sounded like it was working ok.

Like i said, would love to get it, but its a little more than i can comfortably spend right now and would like to find it a good home (maybe one i could visit every once in a while (insert winking face here) ). If anyone has any other questions i could check on it again and try to find out.

#2 11 years ago

Pawn shop will go to $4500. They have absolutely nowhere near $5500 into it. I would say they aren't more than $3000 into it, in fact. Those places operate on 9000% margins.

#3 11 years ago

I agree buy even 4500 is too high for me. Id rather save up to point where i can afford one comfortably, even if it means spending a little more.

#4 11 years ago

I need to hit pawn shops now? dang

#5 11 years ago

Was thinking the exact same thing came here and you already posted it. One pawn shop, near my home, at least has a Taco Bell next door to it. I can get me sum of dat Locos Tacos at the same time. Yeahhhh, that's the ticket...hopefully get a Funhouse or WH20 for a couple g's and then chow down on this locos thing I am hearing about...yeah gonna get me some!!!!!!!!!!

#6 11 years ago

$4500 sounds decent, but yeah, save up for a TZ.

#7 11 years ago

Hey Dommer, my wife is a Stephens girl & we spent lots of time playing pinball @ Gunthers games back in the day. I am in Columbia almost once a week!

Anyway I think that's high for a reimport in our market.

Talk to Chuck @ www.CPpinball.com when you want something to buy. He knows a lot of people & he's a great dude!

I visit his arcade 2-4 times a month so I can help with transport if needed.

#8 11 years ago

@pinballwizard79-i remember gunthers! They had an MM i played the hell out of!
Also know Chuck from CP. Try to get to CP once every month or two. My girl is from StL so we visit there a lot. Definitely has his thumb on the pulse of some good deals. I just got a deadly weapon that im restoring and thinking about buying a house so probably not a good idea to go out and buy yet another machine.

#9 11 years ago

Why do people sell to pawn shops? The seller probably got a quarter of what it's worth... Yet he could have sold on CL for full price. Strange.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Why do people sell to pawn shops? The seller probably got a quarter of what it's worth... Yet he could have sold on CL for full price. Strange.

Thats what i was thinking. Im thinking it was either some guy just didn't care or want to bother, or someone that just wasnt internet savy.

#11 11 years ago

Pawnshop = quick ditch (especially something as big as a pin) and at least SOME money in your pocket.

As for what the pawnshop is asking: Shazaam!!!!

$4500 is way more reasonable if it's in pretty darn-good shape.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Why do people sell to pawn shops? The seller probably got a quarter of what it's worth...

Not even a quarter.

Pawn shops do not work how you see them on fake "reality" TV shows.

The guy at the biggest pawn shop I ever seen said no pawnshop on earth has ever given more than $500 for ANYTHING; no matter what its value.

#13 11 years ago

Thinking about maybe going for it if i can talk them down. Any idea how much would be a good price to offer? Any tips on pawn shop haggling? I figure I'll be polite yet direct about how much one good condition goes for and note all the work that needs to go into it. Worst they can do is say no.

#14 11 years ago

More than likely what happened was the guy took it there on a pawn, planning to pay the money back and reclaim the pin and just couldn't scrape the cash together in time. No way he would have outright sold it to them.

#15 11 years ago

I can guarantee he gave absolutely no more than $2000 for it, probably $1500. Chances are he gave the guy selling it to him the same run around you want to give him. Except, he also gave him the "I don't know who to sell this to......I'm not a pinball guy and nor are my customers...." runaround.

Make a list and give them monetary values.

Shopping it out at a reputable repair place $600
New clock unit $100(or whatever)

and so on....

Everything you can list out, including man hours for whatever, quantify with money and then offer him $3000, cash.

Everything you list out is what he's gonna have to put into it to see that $5500, otherwise it's just an eyesore for him. An eyesore that he spent $1500 for. If he's smart, he'll cut his losses and let you have it right around there. Then, I'll give you what you spent on it plus a couple hundred for shipping and you send it out to me! Just kidding.

In all seriousness, that should be the way to go in there and offer him that low of a price. But wait a day or so and when you come back in, tell him you've "done a bit of research on prices to fix it up and make it right". Then start your spiel.

Hope this helps!
-Mike

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from bdc30:

More than likely what happened was the guy took it there on a pawn, planning to pay the money back and reclaim the pin and just couldn't scrape the cash together in time. No way he would have outright sold it to them.

If it's on pawn, it wouldn't be for sale. He'd keep it in back for the 30 days, or whatever the agreed time period, then he'd put it out for sale if the guy never repaid him for the loan. What's the point of pawning something to get a quick loan if the guy's just gonna sell your stuff as soon as you walk out?

#17 11 years ago

^^ That's what I said. Likely the guy couldn't get the cash back before the time limit on the pawn ran out.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I can guarantee he gave absolutely no more than $2000 for it, probably $1500.

No.

There is not a chance in hell that he lent him more than $200-400 for it.

It's not a TV show, it's a pawn shop.

You don't get to haggle over how much it's worth towards the loan amount - they don't care.
You don't get the director of the Metropolitan Art Museum stopping by to do an appraisal.
You don't get an expert on the Civil War to authenticate your rifle while you wait.

Bring in a $10K diamond ring, a lawn tractor, a giant Kennedy tool box, or a Civil War Gatling gun. You will be "lent" a few hundred dollars.

Pawn shops don't really buy stuff (except on TV). They loan you a fraction of the value of an item you bring in to pawn. They charge you 25% weekly interest rate + storage fees + some other fees (depending on what state you live in). Your yearly interest rate is 240%.

If you were hard up for cash in the first place, you will likely not have a windfall of cash to go get your item out of pawn, especially once you see how much you owe to get the item back with the interest and fees.

After 30-90 days and you don't pay your loan off (depending on your state) the shop puts the item for sale.

#19 11 years ago

I work in columbia and may go check it out just to see condition. That price is way too high. An op that I have fixed a few pins for sold one of his TZs for $3400 just a few months ago. For $5500 you might as well buy from nick and brook at the pinball company across town. At least it would be ready to go.
I would say they have $2000-$2500 in it tops.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No.

Sad but I think vid1900 is correct. That tv stuff is scripted. That is the reason I stopped watching storage wars and pawn-pick shows. My friends uncle works as some bigshot exec out in that scene and that's how I found out the lowdown. It was at a family picnic of his...it crushed me because the sucker I am, I actually thought Storage Wars was the real deal...including my future ex-wife Brandy Nope. All staged and scripted in advance.

I think/speculate that vid1900 is hitting the nail on the head here!

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad:

Sad but I think vid1900 is correct. That tv stuff is scripted. That is the reason I stopped watching storage wars and pawn-pick shows. My friends uncle works as some bigshot exec out in that scene and that's how I found out the lowdown. It was at a family picnic of his...it crushed me because the sucker I am, I actually thought Storage Wars was the real deal...including my future ex-wife Brandy Nope. All staged and scripted in advance.
I think/speculate that vid1900 is hitting the nail on the head here!

Yup. Only thing pawn shops "buy" is gold and diamonds.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Dommer:

Thinking about maybe going for it if i can talk them down. Any idea how much would be a good price to offer? Any tips on pawn shop haggling? I figure I'll be polite yet direct about how much one good condition goes for and note all the work that needs to go into it. Worst they can do is say no.

Everything Mike said in his post right after this one I quoted PLUS....take cash .

#23 11 years ago

Man I watch those cats on TV and they can be ruthless
-I bet they gave him $500 and a bus ticket for his pin

#24 11 years ago

Hey Dommer, if you don't end up wanting it, let me know so I can get it. I'll call them straight away and arrange the shipping and everything. Are you able to go in and take pics of it?

Give us updates.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad:

including my future ex-wife Brandy

Brandie is one naughty milf, what she is doing with Jarred is beyond me, she could do much better

Yea, they are obviously scripted, especially Pawn Stars, I like to see the stuff tho, some very interesting items on that show.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

Brandie is one naughty milf, what she is doing with Jarred is beyond me, she could do much better

She was a stripper and he worked at the club she danced at. No lie.

It's the sleazy equivalent of the quarterback and the cheerleader.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad:

Sad but I think vid1900 is correct. That tv stuff is scripted. That is the reason I stopped watching storage wars and pawn-pick shows.

scripted? ha! it's more set-ups than anything just to get viewership ratings and people to come into their pawn shops. a co-worker went into the american jewelry shop here in detroit (hardcore pawn) and he said that after looking around in various areas for 30mins, he couldn't even get find any employees to talk to purchasing something from the cases, let alone buy one of their t-shirts

I think that the "odds and evens" pinball repair on pawnstars (the vegas show) was the worst set-up ever. the "repair guy" claiming that they could get $5K for the machine after he fixed it (he didn't really completely shop it either)

#28 11 years ago

I drove by Gold and Silver (Pawn Stars) in Vegas. There was a line of rubes wrapped around the building waiting to hopefully catch a glimpse of the 'celebrities'.

#29 11 years ago

Will keep posted

#30 11 years ago

Spaced on updating this. I went back in and looked it over, noted all the issues (mostly cosmetic, played well and most big features work eg gumball, clock, magnets), noted that i would probably have to put in several hundred to get it up to snuff, and offered 3k. The guy i talked to seemed ok, but then this other worker got agressive, being all "well whats wrong with it?" and "we have other people who want it and the pinball company wants it for 5k." I just said ok and walked out. Not sure how true any of it was, but realistically, should probably not spend that much. The biggest appeal was that it was a TZ and it was a couple blocks away from my house.

#31 11 years ago

Tough stand. I applaud you. I feel you did the right thing. Maybe give em your name for when they realize what they will get in the real @world. When they call, tell em 2750!

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Tough stand. I applaud you. I feel you did the right thing. Maybe give em your name for when they realize what they will get in the real @world. When they call, tell em 2750!

I kinda feel they were giving me a good cop/bad cop routine. Heard the second guy mumble something to the first, who responded "I don't think that's going to work on this guy."

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You don't get to haggle over how much it's worth towards the loan amount - they don't care.
You don't get the director of the Metropolitan Art Museum stopping by to do an appraisal.
You don't get an expert on the Civil War to authenticate your rifle while you wait.

Bring in a $10K diamond ring, a lawn tractor, a giant Kennedy tool box, or a Civil War Gatling gun. You will be "lent" a few hundred dollars.

vid is probably the most realitstic and knowledgable guy I have seen posting on a message board in a long time . . . once again he is 100% correct. The guy bringing in the Pin probably got a couple hundred bucks, maybe three hundred . . . and that is it. The pawn shop basically has zero in the game; that said, they know what it is worth and know what it would likely pull off of ebay - that is your competition to get a good deal from them.

#34 11 years ago

I know Nick at the pinball co. With the work it sounds like the game needs, he would never give $5k for it. I haven't looked at it yet, but it sounds like this guy is trying to retire off of this machine. If others wanted it, they would have already bought it.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

She was a stripper and he worked at the club she danced at. No lie.

HA!! See, I knew she was naughty!!! Still does not explain Jarred LOL!!

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

HA!! See, I knew she was naughty!!! Still does not explain Jarred LOL!!

It is a shame it is staged in advance though. That is what caused me to stop watching the show. Maybe if they announced or forewarned the audience with a message like, "The following show and it's individual transaction amounts/values have been prearranged. This type of advance scripting is required in order to appeal/market to the general audience".

If they said that I at least would not have been fooled and would probably still be watching it today!
I didn't know Brandy was a stripper...hmmm I would still accept her as a potential future ex-wife of mine though

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from Dommer:

and "we have other people who want it

They might have been talking about me! I emailed them not too long ago just asking for pictures of it. Maybe they thought I was going to offer them more than $2500 for it. Wasn't gonna happen.....

Still don't haven't heard from them, either.

#38 11 years ago

I've been to said pawn shop before. The store is nice and clean but damn do they lowball the stuff outta ya. The ladies in there are easier to deal with than the guys.

#39 11 years ago

speaking of staged "reality TV shows," watch at just over 6 minutes into this. TOTALLY staged!

#40 11 years ago

That's not even funny how poorly staged and edited that is.....I feel sorry for the people who not only watch this show, but also for the ones who believe it's real.

That was pitiful.

#41 11 years ago

That is terrible, it was like I was being robbed of life. Looked like they just broke a piece of glass, not the back glass. UGH! I need Tylenol.

The pinball machine fish tank is kool for sure. Can you imagine how that thing plays, bet ya cant tilt it, or even nudge it. Hope the guy never moves, or has to service the backbox.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from royce6135:

The ladies in there are easier to deal with than the guys.

This is the ticket. Go in there when you know it'll be just them and run through your same schpeil. Offer them the $3k as well. They'll go back, look at the books, realize their huge profit margin and make the deal thinking about how proud the guys will be of them for making so much money!

It's worth a shot! If not, leave your info like others here have said. When they have it on the floor for over a month, they'll come calling.

1 week later
#43 11 years ago

UPDATE: looked at it last week. it had a 'hold til thursday' sign on it. went back today (the following friday) after talking with one of the guys who runs the game room, who stated he never offered them 5k and that it wasn't worth that much for it's condition. it was still for sale, still wanted 5500 and would not budge. it was the same agressive guy that popped up the second time i looked at it. told me that he knew that it was worth 6500 after being cleaned up and there was no way it had so much wrong with it that it was only worth 3k. then proceeded to insult my by accusing me of wanting to buy it for cheap, fix it up, and then sell it for a profit. i told him this was not true. he told me he could go lower if i was anywhere close to 5500 but never for 3k. i then left. thought about going back in a month, but not sure if i want to deal with that guy again.

#44 11 years ago

The "hold til Thursday" sign might be the end of whatever time period the city regulates for a stolen property check. Most places, it's 30 days before they can sell something they bought "off the street". I used to work at Guitar Center many years ago and we could put an item out on the floor and sell it, but they couldn't leave with it until those 30 days were up.

Screw it. Let 'em sit on it. Give them your name and number and let them know you've got three grand CASH waiting when they're ready to sell it.

More power to them if they can sell it for even $4500, which would be a lot for that condition.

4 months later
#45 11 years ago

Was in there today and they still had it. The price was still $5500. Looked like it needed a good shop job, but not much else.

#46 11 years ago

been there for almost half a year but its a bargain at the price! Yep, keep that floor space and money tied up. They would have been better off to flip that thing 5 months ago for the 3k and reuse that money to make more. I have no idea how these people run pawn shops that have no idea that the only way to make money is a quick turnover. Good enough for them.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from wildwest3163:

I have no idea how these people run pawn shops that have no idea that the only way to make money is a quick turnover. Good enough for them.

I wonder the same thing about local warehouses here that 'sell' pins, but sit on them forever without seemingly selling anything since their prices are so f'ing ridiculous.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

CRACK !

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

Yea, they are obviously scripted, especially Pawn Stars, I like to see the stuff tho, some very interesting items on that show.

I'd eat her A$$...

She's freakin sexy... a BITCH... but sexy !

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from wildwest3163:

been there for almost half a year but its a bargain at the price! Yep, keep that floor space and money tied up. They would have been better off to flip that thing 5 months ago for the 3k and reuse that money to make more. I have no idea how these people run pawn shops that have no idea that the only way to make money is a quick turnover. Good enough for them.

I think they just keep it there for their own entertainment. Maybe they would take some guns and gold in trade for it? It seems to work on craigslist.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.50
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
$ 12.95
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 12.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-at-pawn-shop-in-columbia-mo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.